5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd call normal
I can say how sweet and charming and witty and lovable this story is, but i'd just be repeating what everyone else has said.

So i'll try to say what the book is like, because I had no idea what I was buying except that it was "the cutest, sweetest, romantic little book ever".

It's not what you'd call a normal novel. Or even a novel really, at 108...
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by Amy Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky read
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by Mr. R. N. Lock

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky read, 30 Nov 2010
Mr. R. N. Lock "Ricky Lock" (Bexley, Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
This book is quirky and made me smile on a number of occasions. It's a short book that is original and different and is entertaining throughout. Whilst reading I started to think about people I know and for fun starting making up what their superhero names could be from their personality. Lovely read that will bring a smile on most faces, great book cover picture - that always makes me smile too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but unsatisfactory, 31 Jan 2014
R. A. Davison (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
First and foremost All Of My Friends Are Superheroes is a really great idea, the Amazon synopsis reads thus :

"All Tom's friends really are superheroes. Tom even married a superhero, the Perfectionist. But at their wedding the Perfectionist is hypnotized by her ex, Hypno, to believe that Tom is invisible. Nothing he does can make her see him. Six months later, the Perfectionist is sure that Tom has abandoned her, so she's moving to Vancouver. She'll use her superpowers to leave all the heartbreak behind. With no idea that Tom's beside her, she boards the plane. Tom has, until they touch down, to convince her he's there, or he loses her forever."

So I was kind of excited by this. I really like superheroes, I really like a good love story. I guess I had high expectations, and these expectations were not really met.

It isn't badly written by any means, the style is really engaging and I was never really bored, yet I found I got annoyed by the descriptions of the Superheroes themselves. In a well worn theme throughout a character is introduced and their superpower described, and then we never see them again. The problem here really is that most of these superheroes have no real superpower at all and all that Kaufman is really describing is a personality. All The Perfectionist really is is a Type A Personality, there are others such as the Couch Potato which are similarly just descriptions of types of people with nothing really special there at all. Off hand, I can only think of Hypno as a character possessing genuine ability.

The real flaw here ultimately is the fact that this novel took me 30 minutes to read, possibly slightly less, and I kind of felt like : "Is this it?" I was really, really glad that I got it as a Kindle Daily Deal for £1.99 because if I'd paid list price I'd have felt properly ripped of by it.

It's very slight, has no depth, and feels like an excellent premise gone to waste. It's quite sweet, in its way, but wholly unsatisfying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, don't waste your time or money., 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
I really don't understand all the good reviews for this book? Did i read something different? I absolutely hated it!

It wasn't funny, it wasn't endearing and it wasn't entertaining in the slightest. It just annoyed me from beginning to end, which thankfully didn't take long, about an hour! The actual story is only about 80 pages long (108 pages but the story starts on page 7 and there's about 20 blank pages throughout the book, (another thing which annoyed me - it's just not worth paying the same price as a proper novel)

I didn't like the author's writing style, the way the story went off at tangents and the lists of superheroes and their powers that were just thrown in for no apparent reason, as they had no relevance to the story (did he write it when he was fourteen? that would maybe explain it) It was like reading a children's book with a few swear words and sexual references thrown in. The 'superheroes' powers were mainly personality traits or quirks that the author clearly thought were amusing, for example: The Chip - a girl who has a massive chip on her shoulder, this extra weight has caused her to develop superhuman strength however she can't use the strength until the chip is gone, and she can't get rid of the chip without using superhuman strength so she appears no stronger than anyone else.

Very disappointed, the first and last of Mr Kaufman's works i will be reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd call normal, 26 Oct 2010
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)

It's not what you'd call a normal novel. Or even a novel really, at 108 pages. But it's a 108 pages of gold. Others have pointed out its failings but I think everything that's in it, everything about the way it's written, is exactly the way it should be. It's a quirky story with a odd way of telling it. It's sweet and crazy and the writing is adorable and all over the place. You just jump on and enjoy the ride.
It's not like other longer novels where there's beginning, middle and ending, or character development or major plot devices. And yet you come to know the story (even though it's told so disjointedly) inside out, the characters build up in your mind until you want to meet them, and the twist at the end has you cheering.

The story is about Tom, who's regular, and all his friends are Superheroes. But they're not like the superheroes we know. I don't want to give too much away and spoil the magic of reading about these characters for yourself, but to name a few to give an idea: the Perfectionist, Hypno, the Clock, the Broken Heart, and many more. Truly original idea.

I'd recommend it to anyone, but remember, go into it with a light heart and open mind. If you're looking for a wordy, complicated, full length novel to read for hours then you're in the wrong place. But for a bit of lovable fun that can be read in under an hour try this. You won't regret it.
If you like The Perks of Being a Wallflower, you'll like this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet and forgettable, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
I like books that can be finished in 4-5 sittings. This one was just 1 sitting on the tube ride home, so scored highly in that respect. I liked its quirky sense of humour. Superheroes who are not really superheroes, but what I would consider as geeks of our generation.

But that more or less sums up everything positive about it. I was slightly disappointed because even though I finished it one setting, there was no aftertaste. It felt like reading a good magazine article or even a story written by a quirky college student on a lazy sunday afternoon, without too much depth in it.

So, if you are looking for light reading, this may interest you. But I like to read books that I can remember long after completion and may be even discuss with friends, but this book did neither.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, witty and very sweet, 7 Jun 2009
C. Doolan (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
I bought this book as I heard it recommended on the radio and I am very pleased that I did.

It is a very sweet book without being sickly and even though all the characters are superheroes you relate well to all of them. The story of Tom and his wife the Perfectionist is very touching and is broken up with witty mini-stories about other superheroes.

I read it in one sitting and found that as soon as I finished I wanted to read it again. I would lend the book to my friends but I just can't bear to be parted with it. I would like more books from the author as soon as possible!

1.0 out of 5 stars All My Friends are Stereotypes, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
Cute, funny, adorable, lovely, wonderful, quirky, short, sweet, nice, little ... these are all the usual adjectives you will find used in positive reviews of this book and you will notice that such general terms actually say absolutely nothing about its quality as a piece of literature. The reason is that this very brief read is actually very dire.

The plot actually takes up about thirty percent of the one-hundred-and-seven pages this novel occupies. The remainder is back story and asides so digressive as to have, in the majority of cases, no impact whatsoever on the current predicament of the main character(s). Indeed, entire chapters are given over to anecdotal accounts of other superheroes whose existence serves no other purpose than to prove how clever the author thinks his concept is.

The concept is not clever. Collapsing the various personalities you met while you were still an undergraduate into single 'superpowers' (stereotypes) is neither new or clever (Stan Lee actually did this for many of his Marvel characters). Compounding the concept by literalizing some of these powers so that some characters indeed have superhuman abilities (invisibility) while others remain more tongue-in-cheek 'superhuman' (surviving by sleeping on other people's couches) makes for a concept as confused as it is inconsequential.

Add to this a style of prose so balls-achingly irritating that you'll be sick of hearing it within seven pages, never mind one-hundred-and-seven and you're really in for something likely to leave you flabbergasted at why you bothered. I say irritating, it's quite simply bad. Almost every sentence is framed as a statement: Tom sat there, the man stood up, the floor was green ... and on and on. Ultimately, Kaufman is committing the cardinal sin of writing: telling rather than showing and as such, this book never feels like a sensuous experience - you can never loose yourself in the world.

As an example, just at random: 'No one noticed W.P. Martin until he leaned too heavily on his motorcycle. He was trying to look cool in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven. It was 11:30 at night and the parking lot was full of teenagers.' After reading this you now have to step back and imagine all of these things as it lacks sensuous detail to lure you in; the entire book is like this. What does somebody looking cool in a 7-Eleven parking lot look like? It would be far more satisfying for the author to have described this and let us - the readers come - to the conclusion that he was trying to look cool, but no, he's a lazy author, so he doesn't bother.

I really could go on and on, but it's sufficed to say that most authors won't make as many obvious blunders in a novel stretching five or six times this length - for Kaufman to have packed as much poor writing into a novel so short is an achievement of concision in nothing more than incompetency. Avoid at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
Bought this book on a whim, thought it sounded quite interesting and with the mixed reviews I was a little unsure but tried it anyway. SO GLAD I did. Was trying to write an essay at the time and kept making excuses to take a break and read another chapter; I ended up stopping completely and reading the whole book. It really is a sweet book with an interesting plot to it, which is what I ultimately wanted as I've been getting really bored with the typical romance and chick lit novel. Really would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet idea but....., 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
Just a little too adorable for my tastes. Disappointed. I was really looking forward to a good quirky read and it just didn't quite make the grade.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting ideas, 26 April 2014
This review is from: All My Friends are Superheroes (Paperback)
I bought this based on the title, which sounded interesting. And there were some interesting ideas in the story, along with a few good situations and brief character sketches. However, even at its very short length it seemed over-extended. It'd make a brilliant short story, but for me was too stretched as a short novel / novella.

All My Friends are Superheroes
All My Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman (Paperback - 2 Feb 2006)