5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published 16 months ago by BC

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have set it on Discworld...
I'm a great fan of Terry Pratchett's and very rarely have anything negative to say about his work, but this novel left me rather cold. It is set in the 'real' world, as opposed to his fantastical Discworld, a decision I find hard to understand. The story is simple enough, but I just couldn't believe in any of it. Whereas tales of trolls and goblins and wizards from...
Published 15 months ago by BookWorm

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
I have read most of Terry Pratchett's books and the one constant throughout them has been the fantastic characterisation and humour within these books. I have always preferred the Discworld books due to the fact that the characters grow throughout the series. If you are already a Discworld fan and are thinking of buying this book, then I would absolutely recommend it. Yes, it is not a Discworld book, but the characters are so well portrayed and the situations that occur are so well described, then it may as well be a Discworld book, but without the Discworld! If you are new to Pratchett then I would also recommend this book as a good way of seeing what he is capable of. If you enjoy a well-written story with humour, then this should be a definite purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars spiffing!, 13 Sep 2012
J. Turner (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
I got this downloaded to my Kindle at the crack of dawn this morning - and I have just finished it. What can I say? After the rather difficult novel that was 'long earth', Mr P is back on form with this mildly Dickensian (okay, a lot Dickensian!) tale of Dodger, a young sewer 'tosher'. In the best tradition of unlikely heroes everywhere, our lad stumbles on the vicious attck of a young girl, thus plunging headlong into a dark mystery. I'm not going to give away the plot, except to say, that it is pure Pratchett, with twists and turns everywhere, starkly witty social observations and characters that Dickens would wish he had invented. Laugh out loud funny, poignant and waspish, this is a strong contender for my favourite book of the year. My only complaint is that five out of five is not enough. Who knew that sewers could be so interesting?! Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Pratchett, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
A book that manages to hit that very difficult objective of being an adventure story, with a proper hero,suitable for both children and adults. If I had a five-year-old I would be happy to read it to him or her, but as someone almost as old as Sir Terry, I enjoyed it too.

A sequel must surely be a possibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Dickensian Tale from Pratchett, 15 Nov 2013
K. Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dodger (Kindle Edition)
Dodger is something different from Terry Pratchett. Not a fantasy novel or a Diskworld book but a fictional story of a loveable street Urchin set in an alternative Victorian London.

I read this book in a couple of days and couldn't put it down. It was very much a Pratchett book in a Dickensian world filled with a mixture of the kind of curios that Pratchett produces and some very Dickensian old characters laced with famous characters from history thrown into a foggy murky melting pot of Victorian Intrigue.

This has been one of my highlights of this year and a real surprise. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on form, 24 Sep 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
Having not thought too much to the last title released in conjunction with Stephen Baxter, I was a little worried if Terry was selling more by name rather than by talent, that was until this new book arrived. Whilst not set in the famed Discworld, Terry really gave the reader a treat by managing to fit a lot of characters from the Dickensian period into this new title, you have our hero Dodger, Sweeney Todd, Benjamin Disraeli and of course Mr Dickens himself.

It's a book that's full of quirky characters, it has a few laughs and also gives the reader the chance to dip into a lost world that more people really should get chance to see. Its fascinating and with the variety of weird jobs there, really brings old London Town to life. Add to the mix a wonderful set of problems that only our protagonist, the downtrodden hero of the masses can help to solve.

All in a cracking title and one that I had a lot of fun reading. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable, 16 Sep 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
After "The Long Earth" I had fretted about "Dodger", but I needn't have worried as it is superb.

As I started to read I could feel the stress draining from my body and (I am told) I sat with a contented look on my face. Ah yes, the power of the Pratchett.

Dodger is a "tosher" a person who searches the sewer system for the gems that fall into the toilet and end up being flushed, along with the coins and other bits and pieces that fall out of people's pockets ... he can earn more than a chimney sweeps boy, but without the soot.

One night, during a storm, Dodger comes to the rescue of a young woman who is being attacked by two men. During this rescue he meets a pair of reporters one by the name of Charlie Dickens and his friend Henry Mayhew (editor of Punch magazine) also come to the rescue, but Dodger, having grown up on the streets, doesn't trust these posh adults with this young woman and decides to become her protector.

On the way we, and they, meet Angela Coots (member of the banking family), Robert Peel (head of the police), Benjamin Disraeli (Prime Minister), and one Mr Sweeney Todd, along with more historical characters (real and ficticious).

Someone wants the young woman (known as Simplicity) dead, and Dodger and his new acquaintances must find out who it is and why.

A thoroughly enjoyable read. Sir Terry is back to his best.

4.0 out of 5 stars More please..., 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dodger (Kindle Edition)
This has all the familiar Pratchett-esc elements that I always enjoy. However, with them based in a (mostly) real world they seem so much more engaging and interesting.

I would really like to see what Dodger gets up to helping the British government "take an interest" in various things!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good buy, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dodger (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic, imaginative book. Kept me gripped all the way through. Terry at his very best, go on, treat yopurself and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dodger (Kindle Edition)
It was very hard to put down, wanted to read on to the end. Will read more of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dodger review, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
Bought this book when it first came out for my fiance who is an ardent terry pratchett fan, although I myself am not keen on pratchet, something about the write up on the back caught my interest so I decided to read it and I was delighted with the book if may be aimed for younger readers but trust me it was great reading and I thoroughly enjoyed and at fifty two Id say to anyone of any age give it a go you will be surprised. Way to go Terry :-).

ARRAY(0xa7623780)

Dodger
Dodger by Terry Pratchett (Audio CD - 13 Sep 2012)
15.98