5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Sir Terry
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and found it hard to put down. I am a great fan of the Discworld books, and enjoy the ones aimed at younger readers as much as the others. I think you need to have read the other books about Tiffany Aching to really appreciate this one, and I personally have enjoyed seeing her grow up throught the series. The story kept me turning the pages...
Published on 12 Nov 2010 by Tiger Lily

3.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchett - I Shall Wear Midnight
Erm, I may have missed something, I'm not sure. This is by Terry Pratchett. Ergo, it's very good. Fair enough. I can get on board with that. That statement is so reliable that I'd consider it as close to fact as anything subjective can be.

Published on 8 Sep 2010 by RachelWalker

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I shall wear nac mac feegles!, 8 Nov 2010
I'm going to keep this short as i've never been a huge fan of the tiffany stories as such but i am a huge fan of the discworld.

This book for me was great, I like the fact that it's been set for younger readers that have got older as now it feels like it fits into the discworld with some of the greats. The story itself is just about as gripping as it gets, I don't want to give anything away and i won't read any other reviews because i would guess they all say "it's really dark for a tiff book!" Well she grew up! so did we while reading about her!, I'm 27 now and i hope to all that is good on this earth that i can keep reading this type of writing from this amazing writer for at least another 27 more years.

If my gran could live into her 80's with alzheimer's and still know what was going on in the snooker and make a good pea and ham soup, I'm sure pratchett can suprise us with a good few books to come!
I myself look forward to reading the next one and the one after that!.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Tiffany Aching, 8 Nov 2010
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Of all the Discworld books, the ones about Tiffany Aching are my favourite. They are marketed as Pratchett's books for children, but I think that is doing them a disservice. Why should they be savoured only by children? They would be wasted.

This is the best of his books so far, in my opinion.

Tiffany is establishing herself in her role as witch of the chalk. In this book she is required to defend her reputation, not only as a witch, but as a witch of her own steading. She must fight the man with no eyes, the man sent to hunt her down over the centuries, with nothing in his heart but hatred for witches, and she must find true love, deliver twins and not forget to dress Brian's mum's sore leg.

Pratchett has gone from strength to strength over the years, and has become increasingly philosophical, without losing any of his cheekiness, lightness of touch and ear for a good joke. In the character of Tiffany he seems to be exploring what it means to be human, and humane. What it means to take your place on the earth and be a part of a community. In this book he deals with the passing of life, the fear of otherness and the shouldering of personal responsibility, but never loses his ability to tell a crackingly good story that will keep you turning the pages and feeling sorry when it's over.

4.0 out of 5 stars The rough music comes, 1 May 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Tiffany Aching is the witch of Chalk, which means that she has to do all the messy rural stuff that witches do. But witches aren't always as appreciated as they should be, and Terry Pratchett's "I Shall Wear Midnight" flings the sensible young girl -- and the Nac Mac Feegles -- against a threat that really, really doesn't like witches.

Tiffany is doing the usual witchy rounds in Chalk -- nursing the sick, burying the dead, watching cheese races, and rescuing the occasional girl from an abusive father. Then the local Duke expires after a long illness, and it's up to Tiffany to tell his son Roland and his "watercolour-painting wife-to-be" about what happened.

The problem is, she's being stalked by a creepy eyeless man with a vile psychic stench, who is inspiring people to hate and distrust witches. Suddenly stones are being thrown, accusations are being made, and Tiffany even finds herself in the Ankh-Morpork jail. And if Tiffany doesn't find a way to stop the Cunning Man, things will get very toasty for the witches...

Due to having Alzheimer's disease, Terry Pratchett had to dictate "I Shall Wear Midnight" instead of the usual computer typing. As a result, the book's beginning is very rambly and scattered, as if Pratchett hadn't fully thought out how the plot was going to go -- but after the Duke's death, things start to tighten up and move faster.

And Pratchett hasn't lost any of his delicious wit, whether it's poking fun at cliches (the cackle box!) or sharp dialogue ("Have you boys got no shame?" "I couldnae say, but if we have, it probably belonged tae somebody else"), or his knack for writing truly chilling moments, such as Tiffany seeing the Cunning Man's holes-where-his-eyes-should-be.

But unlike authors who talk down to "young readers," Pratchett doesn't shy away from realistically dark moments, like Tiffany caring for a girl who was badly beaten by her father until she miscarried. These parts -- and the "rough music" -- are more horrifying than the Cunning Man.

Tiffany herself is a very realistic depiction of a sensible, mature, no-nonsense young lady (like a younger version of Granny Weatherwax). While Pratchett occasionally reminds us that she IS still young (and prone to little stabs of jealousy), she grows up a great deal in this book. And there are some hints of romance with a young guard (who can pronounce the word "marvelous").

"I Shall Wear Midnight" is another excellent entry in Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series. It starts out rather slow, but soon kicks into stride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Pratchett strikes again!, 9 Nov 2010
Lynne James (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
How does he do it? Yet again Terry Pratchett has been brilliantly witty and yet serious at the same time taking us back again into the world of Tiffany and her Wee Free Men. Impossible to put down till you reach the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Shall Wear Midnight, 2 Oct 2010
Absolutely BRILLIANT! as usual.
Would have given it MORE stars but five's the maximum.
Before he discovered Discworld my son was not interested in reading, now I have to wait for him to read the latest book before I can get a look in.
He used to buy the books for me for birthdays and Christmas. Now it's the other way round. Between us, we've got them all except The Colour of Magic/ the Light Fantastic which I can't get hold of in Hardback for less than the cost of the rest of the books put together!
Hint: Maybe someone might think of reprinting it? (;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nac Mac Feegle save the day, 2 Oct 2010
Mr. T. Cook (London, England) - See all my reviews
Another good book from Pratchett, the story captures you quite quickly - Tiffany Aching is a fantastic character it has to be said. But I felt that the villain of the piece was very underplayed (although this is actually an integral part of the story) and the 'plot' was actually tagged on to the real story of watching Tiffany grow as a character. Thankfully, the Wee Free Men were able to distract me from this fact throughout most of the book and it only really hit me right at the end that I didnt really care about the main plot. Overall it's a great book and immensely readable but may herald a new era of Pratchett books where the plot is definitely second feeling to the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Terry Pratchett what do you expect !, 1 Oct 2010
Ms. S. Greenwood (UK) - See all my reviews
As an avid fan I always look forward to Terry's new books. I love this series - Tiffany is fab and I wish I could be more like her. Terry you have done it again. Best wishes and big hugs. The story as always is gripping from the start - what on earth is going to happen next. Superb writing and one to keep. I have all the Tiffany Aching books and love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars another brilliant book from the prachett stable, 28 Sep 2010
I have thoroughly enjoyed this book , it has all the humour & inventive plot of the best books from this writer .

4.0 out of 5 stars Discworld - book 38, 8 Sep 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Tiffany is now 16 years old and has finished her witch training, she has been given her own steading and has been the official witch for The Chalk for a year now. As we have already learnt from the previous books in the series this involves a lot of hard work and a lot less magic than you might expect. It isn't easy going back to the area where everyone knew her as a child and being the one everyone comes to with their problems but Tiffany is more than capable of taking up the challenge. But something strange is happening, people she has known all her life are starting to look at her differently and instead of giving her respect they are becoming suspicious and scared of her. Something out there is spreading malice wherever it goes and, as the general public are becoming more and more anti-witches, it is up to Tiffany to stop it - before the witch hunts begin again.

I Shall Wear Midnight is the 38th Discworld book and the 4th & final book in the Tiffany Aching series. You don't have to have read all of the Discworld stories to enjoy this one but I would definitely recommend reading the whole Tiffany series in order (starting with The Wee Free Men). The series is a great stepping stone to introduce young adults to the Discworld series but I'd also recommend it to adults who are already fans of the series.

If you've read any of my other reviews for the books in this series you'll already know that I love Tiffany and the Nac Mac Feegles so I couldn't wait to read this book. I Shall Wear Midnight didn't disappoint and although it is by far the darkest book in the series it still contained the humor and witty real life insights that you can expect in any of Terry Pratchett's books. The themes covered in the story include child abuse, miscarriage, hatred and prejudice but it is also an inspiring story as we watch Tiffany become an adult. We have seen her character grow a lot throughout the series, she has always been intelligent and caring but we now see even more the potential she has to become one of the Discworld's greatest witches.

We see quite a lot of the older witches in this one - old favorites like Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg but also some new but powerful characters we hadn't come across in this series before. I loved the fact that we get to visit Ankh Morpork with Tiffany and catch up with some of the city watch (Including Carrot, Angua & Vimes). I found it interesting seeing Tiffany out of her element in the big city and the Nac Mac Feegles manage to cause chaos while they're there as you might expect if you've ever met them before. I still love the humor provided in the form of the Feegles and it was great to see Wee Mad Arthur again.

If you're a fan of the previous Tiffany books then I'm sure you'll enjoy this last installment. If you haven't started reading them yet but are a fan of humorous fantasy then what are you waiting for? Get your hands on a copy of The Wee Free Men asap!

3.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchett - I Shall Wear Midnight, 8 Sep 2010
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

However, this one's lacking. Sorry, it is. Is this effort not just a bit too slight (even considering it's one of the "Young Adult" entries)? I certainly think so. The plotting is loose, the writing is quite loose. It may well be a factor of the books now being written by dictophone technology. That's fine: I'd expect some kind of adjustment period. However: that doesn't alter the fact that I Shall Wear Midnight is a weak entry in this series.

Pratchett is ALWAYS fantastic fun, and this book is no exception. He is always clever, and always witty, and this is no exception either. But there's something missing here: the newly introduced characters lack the depth of newly introduced characters in previous books (Mrs Proust, for example, who brims with potential but never quite makes it, and Eskarina Smith, who sees a wonderful return after nearly 35 books without a mention!) who normally burst off the page fully [mal]formed. The plotting needs tightening up. The big "evil" our Tiff' has to deal with feels more like a ten minute sub-section to an episode of Eastenders than the stuff of a full novel, and is treated as such in the end. That's not to say that all the periphery stuff - a visit to Ankh-Morpork, the death of Baron and the passing on of a baronetcy, a marriage, a witch where one was not expected, etc - is all great fun and very amusing to follow, but there's less coherence and grand design here than normal. It's all just very flimsy. Ogg and coven put in an appearance and say all the usual things, but Pratchett's just going through the motions, and they never feel like real characters are they normally always do. Normally, Pratchett writes up to the young adult audience. I don't get that impression here at all. This is territory previously covered in all the other Aching books, and at a more intelligent level.

As such, it's the weakest Pratchett novel since - possibly - Eric, which you never get the impression Pratchett really got off the ground with himself. However, all that being said... it's still a very very pleasant day's reading, and an off-par Pratchett is much better than the majority of books you could select. My true feeling is to give it a four, however I take it upon myself to award a three to get the average closer to my true feelings. Mean, I know.

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Audio CD - 2 Dec 2010)
Used & New from: 232.48