Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 October 2012
The only other James Patterson Book I have read is 'Sail' which was also co-written and a book I considered to be pretty mediocre and very far fetched to say the least, but compared to 'Now you See her' an absolute masterpiece... So, it was with some reluctance that I decided to give 'Now you see Her' a go. The reviews on Amazon seemed generally very good though, and with all of the five star reviews the book earned, I believed it must surely be a book worthy of reading.

I couldn't have been more wrong - this book is absolutely appalling, it is so badly written that it would insult the intelligence of a six year old. I managed to struggle through the first couple of chapters, although it was obvious from reading the first page how badly written it was and I knew straight away that I wasn't going to be very impressed. I have now given up on it completely, I really can't bring myself to read any more of this complete rubbish.

I have read many comments stating that James Patterson is an amazingly talented writer - if that is the case, why then, does he produce so many books that are apparently co-written and of such poor quality. I cannot comment on the books produced solely by Patterson, but I would really not risk trying any of them after the two I have experienced so far.

I just can't understand how so many people have awarded this book five stars.
I first have to explain that I am a HUGE Patterson fan, but also a HUGE Patterson critic when it comes to his co-written books. There has been much speculation over the years about how much input Patterson has with these books and in my opinion some of his most recent work was diabolical, leaving me to wonder if he even glanced at them, let alone co-written them.

Michael Ledwidge started writing the Michael Bennett series with JP a while back and I am now a die-hard Bennett fan. I do however wonder if more of this book is Michael Ledwidge's doing with a smattering of the Patterson touch? Maybe that is the secret to this pairing?

This book I was wary of, just because it was a stand alone co-written book and I wasn't sure whether this would be as awful as the other recent ones, but I needn't have worried. This book had me hook, line and sinker from chapter one.

It starts in the current day with Nina Bloom in New York with her daughter. After the first introductions are made, we are transported back to the early days in Nina's life when she met her husband Peter. The book starts off with a bang and the disastrous events that start Nina's life spiralling. Following the shocking events you can literally feel every emotion of this woman rolling off the page.

We then follow Nina's life and how everything got her to where she is today. Nina's husband Peter is a truly despicable character who I loathed from the moment I read about him, but for all the loathing it made for a special read due to the intense feelings I had to the characters in the book.

As Nina's journey is made you feel the tension and fear build up in her life and then we are catapulted into her journey to try to save both herself and her daughter. There are other more minor characters making appearances but the whole crux of the story centres around Nina and her husband Peter.

I read this in a matter of hours and when the ending was finally reached I felt satisfied that this was the best Patterson book I had read in a while. Actually, I correct myself; I think this was the best Ledwidge book I had read in a while!

The book was everything you would expect, fast, edgy and full of suspense. The perfect book in every way and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was one of those books that made me think it would make a great film! Highly recommended!
66 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2011
I have been an avid fan of Jame sPatterson for some time so I may be biased but I found this book completely enthralling. The twists were very clever and the main characters made me feel empathy and excitment as well as horror. If I could I would have sat and read it in one go, alas I had baking and knitting and general children raising to do.
This book offers you all you need for a good read and I recommend it to everyonne.
on 9 October 2012
Just finished this book and what can I say except wow what a great read, a true page turner. This is the first book I've read by James Patterson and it certainly won't be the last. I just love discovering "new" authors. Think my Kindle may be very busy as I start downloading more of his books.
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2011
As James Patterson (& co)'s novels have been a bit hit and miss the past few years I decided to download the sample chapters (a good third of the book) from his website before committing to buying it - I raced through those 29 chapters in no time and had purchased the full novel before I'd even reached chapter 15.

Now You See Her is one of the best stories that Patterson has written in the past few years and is full of twists and turns, surprises and shocks and really feels like a well thought out thriller and it kept me up all night reading it. There's been a lot of duff novels from Patterson and his co-writers just lately but this one restored my faith that his stand alone books can still be decent.

It's not perfect though, the one thing that really annoyed me was how simply it was written - we're adults, we don't need to be spoon fed every single detail and have everything explained again and again. At times it felt like it was insulting our intelligence. The dialogue is pretty poor too - this woman is supposed to be a lawyer but thinks like an immature teenager (it is written from her perspective). Another fault is how everything just conveniently happens to happen - it's hard to explain this without spoiling the story, but put it this way, Nina Bloom is the Queen of Coincidences!

Although it's not perfect, the story is very, very good and extremely exciting, so I'm going to give this 4 stars as it is one which will keep you reading to the end as soon as you read the first few chapters. I definitely recommend reading this.
Its a good while since I read anything by James Patterson and this one certainly has some of the characteristics I remember from his earlier books, whether `co-written' or not. However, this struck me as much more suitable for the young adult market.

It is certainly an easy read. Short chapters and an all action story line make it very easy to keep going and I finished this in a ridiculously short time. It is not very long, and with more normal sized print and spacing and less gaps in the text I doubt it would run to more than about 180 pages. However, it really did not have much depth to the plot and, once you got into it, the story relied on a series of unbelievable coincidences which stretch credibility beyond extremes.

About half way through I was really not enjoying this very much. However, from then on in this tale was almost a caricature, and became quite unintentionally funny. It is so melodramatic in places. My particular favorite was the execution, which, incidentally seemed to have no real tension attached in the lead up. Two days before it is scheduled Nina is totally confident of success and that really is never going to happen in practice. There are plenty of very well told and extremely tense execution stories, The Chamber by John Grisham being an example but this is certainly not one of them.

Hard to rate this so I will take the mid course. Some will take it at face value and enjoy it provided they can suspend disbelief totally. Others and I include myself here, will find it so over the top that it is entertaining.
on 10 November 2013
Yet again another novel knocked up quick. Where has the soul from by best author gone to?
I really feel this man is loosing out to materialism. See how many novels you can provide in a year!!
Gone are the days when we had to wait for the next novel well thought out characters and plot lines. Here we have four novels a month that does no justice to this writer
Please can the old James Patterson please return.
on 12 November 2012
I have read some of James Patterson's other books and enjoyed them, but this was absolutely terrible. It felt like he had written it in a hurry and just wanted to get it finished. The storyline is hardly credible and it is written in a very glib manner, making what is supposed to be a series of disastrous events for the protaganist seem almost comical. Very disappointing.
on 1 February 2013
I really enjoyed this stand-alone offering from James Patterson. It was fast-paced and an easy read while keeping your interest. It's about a woman who fakes her own disappearance but the chickens come home to roost a couple of decades later as she helps a lawyer to save a guy on Death Row.
It jumped around a bit backwards and forwards in time but it WAS correctly formatted for the Kindle and it WASN'T full of grammatical and spelling mistakes unlike so many I've attempted recently and that earns it an extra star easily !!
The only part I was a little lost on was when a speech was being made and the speechmaker prefaced with "Ladies and germs", perhaps it's an Americanism ??
A lot of previous reviewers complain about the short chapters but I like those myself as they make for easy reading and I'm all for that !!
on 3 May 2013
I think Patterson's best days are over. Is he writing the novels in partnership with other authors? I dont think so. I think he is coaching and just headlining to sell and cut a deal for royalties. I cant even remember the story> I think he needs to go back to his old formula and cut out the sex and romance that are appearing in his books. Nothing I hate more than reading descriptions of sex> His earlier works are second to none; Jack and Jill was what got me hooked and now I am reluctant to buy books with another authors name. Andrew Gross partnered him and has has now gone solo and his style is weak and still finding its way. Shame because up until the co-authoring I would do anything to get hold of Patterson's next book