5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read
Susan Boyle is no ordinary woman. This telling of her journey to date is filled with both pathos and humor. It is one of the most honest accountings I have ever read from a celebrity, and a study in courage, determination, and unshakable faith. There are still bullies who refuse to see beyond who they think is Susan Boyle, yet never take the time to find out who she...
Published on 14 Oct 2010 by Carol Clifton

3.0 out of 5 stars The Woman I Was Born To Be Susan Boyle
The Woman I Was Born To Be
Susan Boyle, this book was bought as a gift so i haven't read it myself, so its hard to say
how good it is, but great price from amazon.
Published 6 months ago by diane

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, honest read, 14 Oct 2010
This book is an honest and informative read. It reads as if Susan is talking to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars `So I opened my mouth and showed them what I could do..', 26 Nov 2010
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Susan Magdalane Boyle was born on 1 April 1961, the ninth child in her family. On 1 April 2009, she observed her 48th birthday quietly. On the 11th of April, her audition (recorded in August 2008) for `Britain's Got Talent' was shown on British television. Video of her audition, singing `I dreamed a Dream', was posted on YouTube, and Susan Boyle became known around the world. On 1 April 2010, she was singing with an eighty-piece orchestra at Japan's Budokan Arena.

This is Susan Boyle's story. The story of how a woman, blessed to be part of a loving family but bullied at school because she was different, found her own successful path in life. Susan's story is a very personal recounting of her life before, and after, April 2009. Susan Boyle has changed: fame has bought new challenges, and a new confidence. She has the most amazing and beautiful voice and I think it wonderful that she is sharing her voice with the world.

This is an interesting autobiography: Susan Boyle's career is still young and the balance of her life experience is in many ways quite unremarkable. Or is it? Susan struggled to find a place in a world where difference (especially if the label disability is applied) is a disadvantage.

If you've heard Susan Boyle sing, if you've wondered about where she came from and wanted to know more about the woman behind the voice from the woman who owns the voice, then you will enjoy this account. Susan herself said, about writing this book: `My story demonstrates that you shouldn't just look at the label, you should look at the whole person, emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually, and I hope that telling it will show that dreams are not impossible, if you've got courage and a willingness to go on no matter what the circumstances.'

I agree.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The woman I Was Born To Beby Susan Boyle.., 16 Dec 2013
Easy reading, excellent account of her life, very honest, highly emotional in parts but funny too, I so admire her and her singing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Woman I Was Born To Be, 11 Dec 2013
I loved this book. It is so refreshing to find a celebrity who doesn't let fame and fortune go to their heads, and Susan certainly doesn't. This a brutally honest, warts and all account of her life, her shyness and difficulties as a child, and the joy she felt when singing. I laughed with her and sometimes I cried for her, but most of all I admired her. A touching, heartwarming story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not only for Susan Boyle fans, 8 Dec 2013
Laurence Dann "LD strategy" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I cannot say that I am a huge fan of Ms Boyle's music, despite her impressive voice.
Possibly, because I am familiar with and like other versions of the covers she delivers.
It was her eccentricities and her story that intrigued me to purchase and read this book.

Susan, for me, was an unlikely hero in the tough music and media industry, who despite
this, has gained a significant number fans world wide. Her story has inspired many not
only for her musical prowess, but for her courage and determination too. Susan originates
from humble beginnings and this book reflects her biography, sometimes disarmingly honestly.

The book is well written and the anecdotes and the rhythm of the narrative is
accessible and interesting. I felt I knew Susan quite well after reading it. Susan is
depicted as down to earth and unaffected by any celebrity benefits. I would be hard
pressed to believe that she will ever change. Her sense of humour and mischievous
perspectives are apparent throughout the book.

Its a simple story really, of a youngest child of a large Scottish family, who though a
little spoilt by older siblings and parents, secretly wanted to express herself in music.
Finding stardom later in life through someone like Simon Cowell and his reality shows was
unlikely ever to be predicted. Susan seemingly, isn't someone to conform and this makes me
wonder if her success is ever likely to be repeated by any other person without complying
to the formulas record companies prescribe. Also, starting without an audience mid-life, is
a notoriously risky investment, yet her audience was gathered and converted in an instant.

Susan Boyle must have a star quality that attracts 'bees to honey.' This book explains some
of the attraction. Sure makeovers help, but it is fascinating to me that in the image business
she has by and large, continued to work on her terms. Lessons learned not only from her bad
experience with the paparazzi, but the simple fact that her feet are firmly rooted from a solid upbringing.

Susan Boyle has a powerful voice and an endearing story. This book depicts a fairytale
without gossip, glitz and glamour. It could inspire others to follow their dream and stand
up for who they are and what they believe. This is a light and entertaining read, not only
suitable for fans of Susan Boyle's singing, but also for those interested in how people
have learnt to deal with adversity. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Woman I Was Born To Be - Susan Boyle, 5 Jun 2011
I loved this book, just could not put the book down once I had began reading it ! Susan made the book, story almost come alive, one felt as if one was right there with her. At times I wanted to just reach out and give her a hug.
She is one amazing person,to have reached such heights in her life. She had many highs and also many lows ! Susan had such support and above all a lot of care throughout the time of writing the book.
This book was amazing !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Woman I Was Born To Be, 20 April 2011
The best book I have ever read, totally frank, upfront and honest... Such a fabulous person with a fabulous story..

Well done Susan

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read!, 21 Oct 2010
G. Shinwell "gssc10729" (West Lothian) - See all my reviews
I loved this book from beginning to end. Susan's candour and honesty, her bravery in the face of bullying and provocation, and her indominitable spirit in the face of all her hardships and knock-backs, come across very well and reveal a woman of supreme courage and determination to prevail and to fulfil her dream - to sing professionally and to make people love her and respect her, through that singing.
She is a truly remarkable woman and I hope and pray that she continues to thrill us with her 'gift' for many, many more years to come.
A great read, and one that truly reveals, too, her fabulous sense of humour!
As they say in her neck of the woods, "Gaun yersel, hen!"
The Woman I Was Born to Be

5.0 out of 5 stars uplifting, 21 Nov 2010
A beautiful account and more revealing than other accounts of Susan's life which I've read.I couldn't put this book down:
it frequently moved me to tears.However,I can only say,I felt inspired and UPLIFTED!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational..., 12 Nov 2010
A well written account of Susan Boyle's life to date, which should prove an inspiration to us all whatever our ability! Susan's indomitable character shines through the pages of this book which defies the reader to put it down before reaching the final page. In short, I loved it, and will be buying further copies for Christmas presents.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

The Woman I Was Born To Be
The Woman I Was Born To Be by Susan Boyle (Audio CD - 14 Oct 2010)
10.90