5.0 out of 5 stars Fry will engage, shock and enthrall
If you are going to buy this wonderful book, I urge you to buy it in cassette form. It is a pleasure just to listen to Fry's voice and he is perfect at portraying such upper-middle class characters with feeling and humour. Star's Tennis Balls is a captivating tale of Ned, caught in an entangled web of misery as the result of a practical joke by the Machiavellian Ashley, a...
Published on 11 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars I like my revenge sweet, not sour, thanks
The beginning of this book grabs the reader's attention; Fry is a witty and a talented writer and the opening to this novel drew me in. I enjoyed the book immensely until Ned left the asylum, and was rooting for him all the way - then suddenly, the tone of the book changed, and became much darker. Not necessarily a bad thing; but here, it doesn't work.
Somehow,...
Published on 6 Mar 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars The first book I have read by Fry and probably the last, 15 Jan 2002
By A Customer
Stephen Fry starts the book off with a wonderfully intellectual style of writing that had me hooked. However, as the book progresses he seems to have become impatient or bored and the years fly by with nothing to show but waffle. What's more, to jump on the shortlived and over-hyped dot-com boom bandwagon is unfortunate, as it immediately dates the book and shows up a naivety in Fry's writing that could otherwise have passed unnoticed. Finally, the end result left me ultimately dissatisfied as it is as boring as it is predictable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive repetitive repetitive, 6 Jan 2005
G. Baker "GB" (UK) - See all my reviews
Sorry, only managed the first 40 pages. Am a great fan, loved Moab is my washpot but this was dull dull dull. The joke of 'actually' being mistaken for 'Ashley' seemed to go on for ever. Three pages at least.
I really looked forward to reading this but it should be labelled 'Fry Lite' - maybe if I'd kept reading. But I didn't.

The Stars' Tennis Balls
The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (Audio CD - 7 Oct 2010)
13.90