5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read

Published on 11 Sept. 2008 by Teresa

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 25 Aug. 2008
T. Bradbery - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
If you are interest in Elizabeth I in any capacity, then this is the book for you. I stumbled across Alison Weir's book on Lady Jane Grey, and was transfixed, so was delighted when The Lady Elizabeth came out. The book takes you through Elizabeth's childhood, her teenage years, until the moment that she becomes queen. It is both fascinating and compelling and I would recommend it to anyone who has any interest in this period, but more importantly for bringing to life Elizabeth I's amazing and intriguing personality. A fantastic, higly recommended read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read!, 18 April 2008
Ms. A. Vaughan "Armaysha" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I loved Weir's first novel 'The innocent traitor' so much and I couldn't wait for her next. She didn't let me down, 'The lady Elizabeth' was a wonderful read. It details Elizabeth's life from early childhood all the way up to becoming queen. Weir makes the reader really feel for the situations Elizabeth encounters, from her curiousity about the mother she never knew, the key relationships with the women in her life, her tender love for her family, her time in the tower and under house arrest and her first love. Just some of the elements within this book.

I enjoyed the novel just as much as innocent traitor and couldn't put it down until I had finished. It focuses on her life before she reigned and what made her the queen she was. Not everything is included but it does highlight many points and ponders over theories which can't be proved or completely disproved. By doing this Weir allows us to look at Elizabeth in a less than perfect way, which makes her very likeable and appealing.

I would recommand this book to anyone. It's an interesting, heart warming, tearful, exciting and enjoyable read. The story of Elizabeth is an extremely well known one but Weir manages to tell it in a refreshing and entertaining manner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, not worth re-reading, 11 Sept. 2008
Teresa "TJ" (Inverurie, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I read "Innocent Traitor" and adored it, from the entertaining, engaging story-telling to the passion and beauty of an old tale told anew, in such a fresh way. I waited for "The Lady Elizabeth" with hot anticipation but was very disappointed to find my enthusiasm cooled within the first few chapters. Although it's worth a read, especially if (like me) you are a die-hard fan of tudor fiction and/or Alison Weir's tremendous non-fiction works. But it feels rather two dimensional. Not a single character sprang to life from the pages as in her previous fiction book and I was left feeling rather indifferent to most of the hardship and suffering of the principal players. This book is simply a rather clinical telling of the story which left me feeling I would rather tuck into a non-fiction book if the author was going to avoid stirring up a single emotion whilst telling the tale. Interesting but not at all engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB NOVEL!!, 10 Mar. 2012
Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
PURCHASED THROUGH AUDIBLE AN AMAZON COMPANY

Oh I loved this, Alison Weir does it again. Whether it's fact or fiction, as in this case, she writes equally well.

I chose this on audio download and wasn't disappointed, although I have to admit to being somewhat unsure whether to purchase on audio as I've heard another book narrated by Judith Boyd and didn't quite take to her. But in this novel she does a good job and I enjoyed it immensely.

Completely brings to life Elizabeth I, through childhood into adulthood to the time she becomes Queen. Portrays her in a compassionate light it evokes emotions, passion, suffering, such a difficult period in time to be alive, especially for a female. Fast paced, perhaps slows a little to the end, the characters come to life with an authentic feel to it. The religious aspect, as it often does, saddened me, the atrocities carried out in it's name, but was well played out in the novel, leaving me disliking Elizabeth's sister Mary nearly as much as I disliked her father Henry VIII!

If this had been the written book I would have described as a real page turner, certainly I couldn't wait for any spare minute to get my headphones on and listen, becoming complete engrossed and listening way into the night.

Very entertaining, a keeper, I highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Historical Fiction Novel, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Paperback)
Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres and this book did not disappoint. This novel precedes Elizabeth's coronation and I found it in the most part to be historically accurate. In the edition of the book I have there is an interview with Weir where at the end she does shows the reader what parts of the story she has added in. I think these extra bits add to Elizabeth's character and bring the reader into the heart of Tudor England. The conversations between the characters are kept historically accurate and this adds a new level to the novel.

About three quarters of the way through the novel I did become a bit bored. There was a sense of doom in the last section that I felt dragged on. However overall this was a great read.

Alison Weir writes amazing historical fiction novel she knows the characters inside out and it is a pleasure to read anything she writes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable, 12 May 2008
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I was recommended this book by a friend who knew how much I loved stories about the Tudor times. I was not disappointed.
The story follows Queen Elizabeth throughout her early childhood all the way up to the day she became Queen. The story allows you to gain an understanding as to how Elizabeth's life really effected her actions as Queen. We learn about the curiosity that she had for her Mother, how much she loved and adored her Father, Sister and Brother. We learn how she felt when relationships between her and Mary broke down and what may have happened with the Admiral in her bedchamber. Weir ponders over situations that cannot be proved or disproved and she really made me think.
Although everyone knows the various stories and rumours surrounding Elizabeth, Weir still manages to capture your attention right the way through. A great read, only marginally beaten by Phillipa Gregory.

4.0 out of 5 stars The path to the throne was not easy for Gloriana..., 30 Jan. 2013
James (Guildford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Paperback)
Elizabeth 1 is known to be one of England's greatest monarchs- if not the greatest, in this book by the very successful Tudor historian/novelist Alison Weir it is Elizabeth's difficult early life and path to the throne that is explored in fiction form.
One thing i particularly enjoyed in this story, was Elizabeth's keen interest in her mothers life and it's shaping of herself as a person and the reader cannot help but sympathise with Elizabeth who has to keep her feelings for her mother to herself for fear of upsetting her now tyrant father.
Starting just after the execution of her mother and continuing until her accession to the throne, you are drawn into Elizabeth's difficult upbringing, her succession of stepmothers, her first glimpses into the troubled and unstable politics of the Tudor court and her intriguing with her zealous catholic half-sister Mary, i really loved how Weir wrote them as close, loving sisters in early, and then as the difficulties and conflicting views of their different religions took form, their sisterly bond began to disintegrate, but again i loved how Weir showed that they where once close- again all to quickly forgotten regularly. A particularly interesting point in this book is the portrayal of Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Admiral Thomas Seymour- there is a chapter though which i was fairly surprised at- Elizabeth suffering a miscarriage soon after leaving Seymour's house, but after reading Weir's explanation in the author's notes i came to agree with her reasons for putting it in there, as the shaping of her character and it really does work excellently in the story- if certain only other writers could admit they made something up in their fiction works!!
This book will shed light on Elizabeth's earlier life, readers will come to understand her later decisions, i really think Weir got into Elizabeth's head as close as anyone ever can!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lively account of Elizabeth's early years, 7 Sept. 2010
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
I selected this book after reading the author's splendid historical novel about Anne Boleyn's fateful marriage to Henry VIII. The story starts at about the same time in Tudor history as the Boleyn book ends and covers the years from Elizabeth's very early years until her accession over 20 years later. And what unsettling, and later dangerous, years these were for a young girl: getting used to three step-mothers in quick succession; the change of state religion when Mary came to the throne and her antagonism towards Elizabeth based on her fear of the latter's supporters rising in rebellion. Elizabeth needed to have her wits about her to counter the intrigues of courtiers and clerics out to trick her into admitting treason; and, for a time, Mary's marriage to Phillip of Spain added to her precarious position.

Altogether an awful time for Elizabeth, but it makes for an eventful and page-turning book in the hands of the author, a professional historian, who mainly uses historically accurate accounts of Elizabeth's life enlivened by a bit of speculative fiction over what might have happened.

I enjoyed the book, especially once the story was in its stride and Elizabeth was into her later teens: the descriptions of the early years are a bit soppy, at times; and the fervent yearnings of the young Elizabeth for Edward Seymour smacked of Mills and Boon! But these are minor quibbles in this excellent slice of Tudor history.

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggled to remain interested by the end. Far too clunky, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Paperback)
First half of this book I was thoroughly into, until I realised I was half way through the book and the Lady Elizabeth was still only 14! I became perplexed and kept wanting the history to move forward, but Weir spends far too long detailing seemingly endless incarcerations and by last 70 pages I wasn't that bothered to read anymore. I agree with some other reviewers on the intelligence given to a 3 year old toddler. Everyone is aware of Elizabeth's intelligence, and it is well renowned in history, but the sharpness Weir credits a toddler to have is simply not feasible!! Disappointing by the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth in Danger!, 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Lady Elizabeth (Hardcover)
Alison Weir's novel on Elizabeth was very enjoyable. Certainly, it could be considered a page turner by some. I thought it was a great story of Elizabeth's young years, which are usually the years in her life that are not that widely explored by historians or fictional authors.

First, I thought her relationship was Thomas Seymour was very well defined an written. I didn't like either of the Seymour brothers before this-I now detest them. Also, Henry VIII's relationship with his daughter may have been the most enjoyable part of the book. It was great to see Henry VIII, this figure of tyranny, fear, terror, could actually become, if it at least through the authors pen, could make Elizabeth's relationship with her father very warm and loving.

I like the book, although I could do without the sex, but it was wonderful after that.

The Lady Elizabeth
The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir (Audio CD - 4 Jun. 2009)