Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 April 2007
I remember listning to the Chris Moyles show a few months ago when he mentioned he was writing a book. I was so excited by the idea that I bought it nearly as soon as it came out.

What a dissapointment.

Apart from the fact that in the very first chapter, Moyles proclaims himself the best DJ in the country, the book does begin well. Unfortunatly, the rest of the book is a downward spiral, which leaves the reader wishing he or she had never bothered.

"This isn't going to be a normal autobiography" is right. Instead of telling us his life story, he writes a couple of chapters on radio, then he writes about all the famous people he has met. A little more on his radio career, then an actual list of famous people his mum has met. And so it goes on.He fast forwards his life to when he gets his job at Radio 1, then doesn't tell us much about it at all. Then he goes on to write about his involvement in X Factor, and yes, all the famous people he met there.

Although I respect the fact the Moyles wrote this book himself, by the time I had finished reading it, I wished someone who knew anything about grammer had written it. "Smelt" and "Dreamt" are two words that appear a lot, apart from the fact that you have to read a couple of sentances a few times till you understand what he is saying!

All the way though the book, Moyles has written whole chapters in which all he does is complain about having to write a book! Not only this, but he also complains about the amount of words he hasn't written yet.

There were a few times in the book where he will start a story and get half way through then say "More on that later". I have finished the book and I can assure you that "later" never comes.

Stick to radio Chris.
on 21 June 2007
Its not often that I derive absolutely nothing from a book and this was no exception, I derived the desire to ceremoniously burn the book in my barbecue. So I did yesterday... and can now report that the most interesting thing about the book is that the cover (for a while) burns blue. The writing style is apalling, the humour is non-existent and the often repeated message is simply "I am an egotistical, fame hungry fat bloke from Leeds and if you don't like it, shove off". Well personally I don't like it, so erm...shove off Moyles. There is literally nothing in this book that you could not garner just by spending one week listening to Moyles show. I am a genuine book lover and hate to provide such a negative opinion of something that someone has taken the time to write, however this book genuinely appalled me...save your money and buy something with some content. Oh and Moyles...I'm as fascinated with breasts as any man but did you really have to make a breast related comment about every single woman you have ever met? I'm guessing you were a bottle baby? *snigger*
on 27 February 2007
I like reading autobiographies generally because I like gaining an insight into another person's life; never have I found anyone with less to share than Chris Moyles.

I read the book in a few hours and after a couple of chapters began to speed through it in order to end the drudgery. Chris Moyles has duped the public with this poor attempt at a book - there's literally nothing memorable or interesting about it. The overwhelming feeling was that he was asked to come up with 70,000 words and neither he nor his editor cared about the quality with the result that at times we got a commentary on where he was writing and what he'd rather be doing.

Chris Moyles owes the popularity of his radio show to his team who manage somehow to rein him in when he goes on one of his rants; unfortunately there was no such buffer when reading this book.
on 3 January 2007
The thing that struck me about Chris Moyles when he did the Celebrity X Factor, was how vunerable he looked sometimes, a little boy slightly confused about what he was supposed to do in the glare of the headlights. Then he seemed to wake up and pinched the presenter's bum all the way through the next link.

And this contrast of the big confident radio Moyles and the shy, retiring Moyles is something that comes across from this book. There is an element of self depreciation that makes some of the more overblown mega mouth stuff seem quite bearable. The book splits maybe 50:50 into his life story and his opinions, so it is a bit lite on his background and upbringing. You get the sense that there is a lot more there to tell, particularly about his school years. Not many skeletons come out of the closet - maybe they are for the unauthorised biog that will inevitably come. There's not much about what he sees for the future either.

It isn't a very long book at all, so it won't outstay its welcome. It is easy to read, and very engaging. Bear in mind that there is a lot of bad language though.
on 15 January 2007
Now before people jump to conclusions, yes I am a fan of the Chris Moyles show which I listen to every morning. However, little did I know that I would be so disappointed with this book that I would take it back half way through reading it. Mr Moyles had been plugging this book weeks and the effort that went into writing the 70,000 words in it. Well, I could have written a book like this in a week!It's like a 12 year old's diary with a few swear words splattered across the page.

My advice, wait til you see in the bargain bins in 3/4 months time if you REALLY want it.
on 16 January 2007
You learn very little about Mr. Moyles in this book. If you read Wikipedia's biography on Chris then you will most probably learn just as much. Not very well written and too much rubbish filler about other people. Proves this man is much more the DJ than he is an author. Keep an eye on eBay for my copy going very cheap.
on 1 February 2007
I was a Chris Moyles fan for many years - from the drive time shows to the breakfast morning shows. Notice I said *WAS* a fan. I was hoping this autobiography would provide more of an insight into the man, get into his head a little - but unfortunately not. I was gutted to learn this book was nothing more than a glorified CV.

I dont want to spoil the book for those of you considering a purchase but here's a summary of the book:

- I worked here, there, here and there, then in London.

- Im a Leeds fan.

- I dont have anything good to add to the book Ill keep mentioning how many words I have written.

- Heres a list of the celebs I have met.

- Thanks for your money sucker.
on 8 March 2008
I learnt nothing about him. Felt that he was just writing rubbish to fill his word quota. Was bored from start to finish.
on 7 June 2007
Good as a radio DJ - crap as a book writer.

That just about sums it up. The other reviewers have covered all the relevant points so I won't waffle-on here.

HOWEVER, if you have read this book and are feeling disappointed, trust me - Peter Kay's book that was released about the same time is even worse!!

I hope you don't get them both bought for you as I did - socks would have been a better present.
on 2 August 2012
I love the Chris Moyles radio show I really do but quite honestly this book is the worst thing I have ever read.

You could tell that he had diddly squit interest in writing, he was simply meeting his contractual obligations in order to get paid.

The gospel according to Chris Moyles = EPIC FAIL