Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

Commencing with All-New X-Men: Here Comes Yesterday The All-New X-men series has managed to keep up its quality in terms of individual stories and overall theme, although the predecessor to this volume X-Men: Battle of the Atom with its even more X-men and timelines pushed strained the limits a measure.

Now I've not read X-Men: No More Humans yet, so I'm not sure just what impact, if any that volume has upon this one. Thus with that rider in mind there was an impression that overall The All-New X-men arc is suffering just a smidge from post- `cross-over' (Battle of The Atom) and forced continuity with the questionable Avengers Arena arc.
Some of the tensions of the previous volumes seems to be lacking, there is a sense of treading water and adding `business' just for its own sake. I will explain.

(Warning: If you've not yet the previous volumes the following contains spoilers)
The narrative takes place in the aftermath of Kitty Pryde and The `Past' X-men making the decision to join up with Scott's revolutionary minded X-men as that group are not currently intent on forcing the `Past' X-Men to go back to their own era. The opening of the narrative resolves around everyone settling down or renewing relationships. As this is not an `Uncanny X-men' arc the new mutants are mostly relegated to background. This is the better part of the book; the previously simmering hostility of Celeste to Jean Grey comes into the open with a brief but sharply entertaining verbal exchange and underscores the continuing separating of the hive-mind of the Stepford Cuckoos. There is a re-bonding of Kitty and Magik, from the days when Magik was simply Pitor's little sister. The soap-opera Jean Grey, Scott Summers and Hank McCoy bubbles on, although provides some clever moments when Jean reads the two lads' thoughts, gets angry and telekinesis' herself up into the air, to be saved by Warren and they share an expression (oh boy....)

Soap-Box warning:
Now the majority of the book involves a crew I loathe with a passion; The Purifiers, to explain they are so well written in their bigoted, fundamentalist, warped and vicious views, just what is there to like? As a Christian I get quite incensed when they quote biblical. You have to tip your hat to writers for getting you so involved in a story line (OK, one glass of cold fruit juice-calm now)

The majority of the arc then takes the form of this X-men team taking on the Purifiers to save X-23 and then going back to sort out the said Purifiers; there's another Stryker and A.I.M get into the mix. The combat swings this way and that with some spectacular panels of action. So good points to that part; also this is the second volume ( X-Men Volume 2: Muertas) I have recently read where someone has warned someone else to back off when dealing with the X-Men, in this case A.I.M warning Purifiers. The Purifiers are also written as individuals with slightly differing outlooks which makes a pleasant change. There is something of a slight twist which should come as no surprise actually.
Something `singular' involving Young Scott and Laura Kinney (X-23). If like me you read the X-23 volumes or those involving her inclusion in Wolverine's X-Force you may be unhappy with the recent diluted versions compared to the tactical astute and reflective young woman of those earlier arcs. (That's what happens when you `shoe-horn' a strong character into a Battle Royal/Hunger Games knock-off)

Overall then this is a good read, but not raising expectations in the general All-New X-Men epic. Recommended if you've been hooked at the start and don't want to miss out on anything. If you have read the previous volumes but are wavering, then I doubt if this will fortify your resolve to carry on. Certainly not a stand-alone.

In conclusion there are a clutch of short stories from past X-Men eras; not having a encyclopaedic knowledge of the X-Men verse I am not sure if all of these are simple re-prints from earlier issues or whether some are new and fixed in `another time'. Interesting overall, mixed in quality. Not sure of the relevance to this volume, except the ending to the Sh'ira/Starjammers contribution.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 April 2015
I read a library copy of the paperback
I actually own the other All-New X-Men volumes but after the Battle of the Atom crossover did not really resolve anything I am wary of where this series is going.
I am aware Bendis is soon to put these original X-Men into his pet Ultimates universe and I feel my interest in the title waning.
From the synopsis I had read I wasn’t sure much was going to happen in this volume so passed on buying it, successfully picking it up from my library later.
I was right, there’s not a lot happening here despite it happening in an enjoyable and entertaining way.
That is my view with this entire title so far – I have quite enjoyed the journey and the way in which these heroes that I am interested in and invested in have progressed to this point – despite many issues I’m not happy with.
For instance, I do like the new costumes debuted here – despite the throwaway ‘magic’ explanation for their appearing.
I do like the idea that Scott and Jean are not automatically romantically together – despite the ridiculous and unconvincing attempts to pair Scott off with X-23 and Jean off with Hank.
I do like the light touch in writing Iceman despite the childishness bordering on slapstick.
I do not feel that there is any coherent direction to this concept however and I feel that is a great shame.
I am quite ambivalent about the X-Men Gold chapters, they are entertaining enough but I feel they may have been better attached to a different X-Men title, this series curiously functions as quite ‘new-reader-friendly’ despite its premise.
I will be back for the Trial of Jean Grey crossover with the Guardians of the Galaxy – I might even spend money on that.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the fourth instalment (or actually fifth, counting X-Men: Battle of the Atom, which precedes this volume) of the All New all-original X-Men, running through issues #18-21 of the All New X-Men and collected, along with X-Men Gold #1, as All-New X-Men Vol. 4: All-Different.

When I first heard about this title, it sounded silly. Now it is one of my favourites, and certainly my favourite X-title. I read the first X-Men series as it was published, and the second also, for that matter, and this series, while not imitating Lee and Kirby, does just FEEL right. I read comic books nowadays courtesy of my local libraries' graphic novel sections, so I don't know where the monthly comics are going, or, by the time they get collected, where they've been. Marvel Now does seem to be heading for a cosmic crisis of some sort, due to all the time travelling and collapsing multiverses going on over in the Avengers' many titles. How that will affect this series I don't know, but as I said when I reviewed the first volume of the Superior Spider-Man, it isn't so much the `how will they get out of it', but `how long can they keep it going' before they have to go back to the status quo. With Spider-Man, it is obviously coming to a break-point; but here, I just want it to keep going. This is too much fun to just wipe away with the usual reset button. We really have lost something in comic books over the years; though we have also gained a lot. Hopefully, someone has got a very big rabbit waiting in a hat somewhere.

This particular volume sees Professor K and the team joining Cyclops (senior)'s School for Gifted Mutant Terrorists. They acquire new uniforms, romances, rivalries (Stepford Cukoos) and members of the `big' team, while making the acquaintance of the latest member of the Stryker family to pop out of the woodwork, along with his A.I.M. backers. A.I.M. seems to be taking over from Hydra as the international conspirators of choice since Nick Fury retired and took Hydra with him.

There is quite a lot of character-development and interpersonal stuff going on in this volume, as well as plenty of action; though this seems to be more of a getting ready for the next big thing story. I found it to be as enjoyable as the previous issues, if not as action-heavy.

X-Men Gold #1 is an anniversary celebration issue, with a host of names, such as Stan Lee, Chris Claremont and the Simonsons (Louise and Walt) taking part. There are a number of short(er) stories filling in scenes from the X-Men's many groupings and periods.
on 31 May 2014
Having read the previous three and Battle of the Atom, this book is not the best by any means. The first x-men are still hanging around but it is just that - hanging around. The adventure with the lovely Laura is in consequential and reminds me of those sci-fi episodes after a big event where everyone is treading water.

My rating of two stars reflects that the final third of the book is a retrospective on Kitty - nothing to do with anything just mere filler. When will Marvel learn that, especially for those of us who have lived and read through all these back stories, that when we buy a compilation of "All New X-Men" that's what we want?
on 14 September 2014
Excellent story, and art work. Great delivery time from seller.
on 25 February 2015
Bought as a gift for someone. They seemed pleased with it.
on 24 May 2014
Bought this collection on the strength of Stuart Immonen's great artwork in previous editions so I would have appreciated being told this volume only contains one story illustrated by him. The other four stories have very average/bland a/w that's not really worth looking at. Pretty disappointing, I'd like more details before I'd consider buying the next volume.
on 4 May 2014
Love is ! Thanks good Jean grey is back !!!! Really love the x-men and cant stop reading this series.