5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't set it down.
After a few delays with the release date this finally arrived yesterday, and I took today to sit down and read through it. This book contains the prologue story, Issue 0.1, and issues 1.0-3.0, which is good for getting a taste of the story and the characters, so if you're wondering about getting excited for the film coming out next year this is worth a read.

I...
Published 10 months ago by PeterD

2.0 out of 5 stars A dull tale of galactic proportions
Published 1 day ago by James Lyle

2.0 out of 5 stars A dull tale of galactic proportions, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (Paperback)
There seems to be a link between Brian Michael Bendis and bad comics. It's almost as if he's an over-rated joke of a writer who doesn't deserve his place in the comics industry, but of course that can't be the case, right? The same man who delivered the comic book equivalent of excrement known as Siege, brings us Guardians of the Galaxy. And right from the onset, we can tell we're not getting into anything great.

The Guardians of the Galaxy are a team of intergalactic superheroes. Of course while most good comics would bring us character development so that we're not completely lost in the story, Mr. Bendis decides to skip all that unnecessary stuff and pushes us straight into the action as per the spectacular storytelling of Rob Liefeld's Youngblood (in case I'm not clear, I'm being sarcastic). The plot is dull and forgettable, and could have been used to explore the backstories of these characters, but instead decides to give our characters the very traits we do not want to see in superheroes. But we'll get back to that in a moment.

Clearly, Marvel did not have high hopes for this series (what do you expect when they give the book to Mr. Bendis to write), so they decided to add Iron Man to the cast. I guess adding their most marketable hero to the book will fool people into thinking this will actually be any good. Does he have any purpose other than being an advertisement for Marvel's toy market? Not in the slightest.

The Guardians themselves are despicable. I do not want to see heroes that enjoy murdering without a sense of morality. I do not want heroes who do nothing but scowl throughout the loud, yet surprisingly uninteresting battle. I want heart. I want heroism. I want to know who I'm reading about, with a look into the histories and relationships of these characters and a reason to stand by them. My God, it's like we're in the 90s all over again!

This book just goes to show that Brian Michael Bendis is not a good writer. He is everything that is wrong with the comic book industry. Steve McNiven's talents are wasted on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't set it down., 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (Paperback)

I personally loved it, I've been trying to get my hands on the Annihilation series without much luck but this I'm very pleased with. The artwork is brilliant, the writing is excellent, you really get drawn into the world they're creating and the characters you're following. It's also very funny. If I were to compare it to something more widely known it would be TV's Farscape which aired during the 90s, you get a human (well...half human) to relate to, and then a bunch of non-human characters that are extremely like-able, and it's really them vs everybody else. It's exciting, funny, cheesy at times, and absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the next collection of issues to be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD!, 1 Feb 2014
Great Value! Wanted to get a head start on the story before the movie! defo worth it and great art work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world, 17 Jan 2014
I'm fairly new to comics and I'm not to be described as geeky or nerdy although I do love a good Film, Game or Comic. If I read, watch or Play something I want to invest heavily into a piece of medias universe and lore, often enough this sort of commitment can let you down with a disappointing ending or bland story telling... But Guardians of the Galaxy does not disappoint, it is so gripping you may find the volume quite short when in fact you've just bossed through it.

If you're looking for a new adventure; one with rich story telling, fast paced action and beautiful art, look no further Volume 1 is here and is packed with gripping origin stories for your heroes each with their unique art style. The volume then branches out setting an amazing universe full of interesting characters and settings.

This is a perfect start for a promising series, great things can be done here and I'm certain they will.

Alister

4.0 out of 5 stars Cosmic Avengers Assemble Again!, 16 Oct 2013
Mr. Mice Guy (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (Paperback)
The story running through issues #0.1 and #1-3 of the new Guardians of the Galaxy comic are collected, along with `Guardians of the Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers' #1 as Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers.

The usual suspects are all here again - Peter Quill/Starlord, Rocket Racoon, Groot, Drax, Gamorra and Iron Man - he bumps into the Guardians in issue #1, and goes along for the ride. Issue #0.1 is a retelling of Starlord's origin; Cosmic Avengers is the `getting the band back together again'; and issues #1-3 sees Starlord's father, the King of the Spartoi, and de-facto ruler of the galaxy, up to something, as he gathers representatives of the major stellar empires to declare Earth off-limits to alien interference - since the Agardian All-Mother won't let him destroy it as his first option - so it is declared a site of special interstellar importance - and a very dangerous one, as Galactus, Thanos, the Skrulls and the Phoenix can testify, or would if they were still able to. Naturally, the Badoon take the embargo as a challenge, and the Guardians are soon at work seeing off their attack.

It is not clear if this is going to be an Earth-based series or a cosmic one, as the main plot is a little slow getting off the ground, since we only have three issues of the main title to work with so far, but it could go places, as we have seen from previous outings of the Guardians in the Annihilation series and their successors. However, it is excellently written and illustrated (despite Rocket and Groot practically writing themselves wherever they appear).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (Paperback)
As I remember purchasing the original 'Star Lord' one-off in black and white oversized by Claremont and Byrne, more years ago than I like to remember (I still have it somewhere, though) and longer ago than the writer and artists on this mag were born, I wasn't sure what to expect here, though I had been hooked by the appearance of the Guardians in a recent 'Avengers Assemble' collection.. Well, the re-written Star Lord origin it didn't have the impact of the original, but this book does have Rocket Raccoon (who I didn't expect to love as much as I do) and extra Tony Stark (always a bonus) and the interaction between the pair, which is gorgeous. The arc in the comics collected here is pretty much complete, which makes it a very satisfying read, and I like the art a lot, though, again, it isn't Byrne.

4.0 out of 5 stars [insert creative title (pun optional) here], 30 July 2014
This review is from: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (Paperback)
This comic pretty much gives you what you'd expect from a book about a talking raccoon, a tree and a bunch of other misfits. The premise of the book is great and we learn quickly what everybody's deal is, but the inclusion of Iron Man proves only that Marvel had very little faith in the title and thought putting in the most popular Avenger at the time was the only way it would get noticed, and Iron Man has very little impact on the plot so it's pretty much pointless. Once again, Brian Michael Bendis thinks it's important that characters need to swear and murder most of the time, but there's some great action scenes and the art by Steve McNiven is as good as you'd expect from him. I'm also looking forward to this Guardians of the Galaxy film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvel Must, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (Paperback)
A great read right from the get go, the characters and their back stories are effectively conveyed and will definitely win you over even if you've never even heard or read about the Guardians of the Galaxy before.
Definitely recommended for those who are a fan of Marvel's unique humor as there is definitely plenty here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blam murdered you!, 21 Jun 2014
Jose Gouveia "Marco0798" (London) - See all my reviews
yeah god damn right he murdered you, Rocket is magnificent and the addition of Tony to the team is great he fits perfectly into them.

this book is great the writing is great the art is great and a real top quality book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly wonderful, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers (Paperback)
Perfect condition, good postage. No complaints. And the comic is smashing I've never loved guardians of the galaxy more x

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers by Brian M Bendis (Paperback - 28 Aug 2013)
9.09