Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2012
Having been out of Marvel comics for about 20 years, the new movies had me clawing my way back in ever so slightly. This was the first of Marvel's 'events' that I had actually read, and I decided to collect the individual issues, rather than wait for the trade paperback.

So my review is based on the whole Fear Itself concept, rather than just this book, although I will try and mention just this element of the event. I've also read the reviews here and can fully understand why it's received some negative vibes.

First of all and simply put - I loved it. From the artwork to the storyline. It has sucked me in and I'm now in the process of obtaining all the previous events over the last few years so that I can catch up. I would put it slightly behind Civil War in the ratings war, but only just.

I'm a huge fan of the Thor stories surrounding Asgard and Broxton, so fans of that should enjoy Fear Itself, seeing as though it is mainly an Asgardian family-issues storyline. Add some Red Skull family-issues, and the 'Worthy' beating down on the world, and our heroes being up against it, and what you've got is an action packed story that has had me reading it over and over again - surely the end product of any comic creator.

It's true what other reviewers have stated - that it requires reading the tie-ins to fully understand the story. To enhance your reading pleasure, you should concentrate on the following tie-ins: The Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Avengers and Journey Into Mystery. Spiderman, Home Front, The Deep and others are good but not overly necessary unless you want to be a completist.

So read this book and its tie-ins if you want a beautifully drawn story that is packed with action involving heroes and villains spread across the globe culminating with a showdown in Broxton, Ohio. If you want politics, or Dickensian dialogue, don't read it. Or comics in general for that matter.

Also read Fear Itself: The Fearless to find out what happened next.
on 15 July 2012
My angle is one who follows Thor, Iron man and Deadpool.

Fear itself is...good. It is not amazing. It can be annoying, but it depends on how in depth you are about things.

First, the art style is moderate at best. A lot of fighting with a lot of complex emotions which don't always marry well in the artwork but visually it's acceptable.

Second, at the current price of £10-12, this is very reasonable given the lenght of the story.

Third, the story itself is good. In fact it's about the best thing. However, many reviewers pointed out that it links to things happening in other comics. I'm afraid they are absolutely right. In fact if I didn't follow the Iron man comics there was a point in the story when he was with a group of them, and then he's not and trying peddle his way on his own for NO reason (except there is a reason just in another comic). So yes there are times when the storyline jumps, and accepts that the reader knows what's going on elsewhere. Now, it is still possible to follow things without resorting to the other comics, but it does help. I must point out it does this a limited number of times that I was aware of (but clearly there are other links that aren't that obvious at first). I am in now way suggesting you go out and get the other comics, but as a stondalone piece, this story does poorly at certain times.

Overall, I give it a 3 because the story is good, but let down with the jumping around. I am sort of including the Iron man arc in that too as it did help my enjoyment. But I did put down the book at a certain point, and pick up the Iron man fear itself and then continue on after. By the way, the Iron man book contains a very serious spoiler at the end so be warned!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 February 2012
Another year, another Marvel comics event. The concept this time around? Odin's brother has become free for the first time in centuries from his underwater cell and with the help of eight magical weapons, he turns heroes into super-villains with the power to destroy the Earth! Avengers! Assemble!

It's not the best setup given its just superheroes fighting for the entire book. The good guys sustain some losses, a couple of major characters die (but you know they'll be back, as ever), but eventually the bad guys will lose. So what's entertaining about this book? Not much unfortunately. Lots of hammy dialogue from the villain ("now I will rule the Earth, kneel before me!" etc.etc), Cap's shield breaks (but is soon replaced) and there are "dark" versions of Hulk, Thing, and a few others who fight the good guys, but fight scenes don't make for a very gripping read, they just look cool on the page.

The problem is there isn't much substance here. The idea doesn't really allow for much leeway as the only real person who can defeat this ultimate creature is Thor so we have to wait until Thor steps up before the book is over. Meanwhile it's the other superheroes who're checking their watches and doing the usual superhero nonsense.

Strangely, the interesting stuff happens in the epilogue. I won't give away what happens but Hulk's storyline is fascinating and one I definitely want to read. "Fear Itself" though? Unless you're a die-hard Marvel fan it's not something you'd want to read either. Unless fight scene upon fight scene and predictable endings are your bag in which case this book has both in abundance.
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2012
Nice art by Immogen for starters but lacks a good plot and execution. First of all, this volume lacks the chapters which flesh out the story. What you get is the standard seven part story which to be honest contains very little to write home about.

The "worthy" hardly feature in this what so ever apart from the throw down between Thor, Hulk and Ben Grimm, so in order to find out what Grey Gargoyle, Attuma etc get up to, you would have to purchase the other mediocre spin offs to Fear Itself.

I also hate the current trend in comics to revise history. The god of fear returns to the earthly realm to destroy mankind and funnilly enough he happens to be the brother of Odin. Except Odin never mentioned him in the past! The almighty god of fear happens to be the typical 2 dimensional threat with little appeal rather than something to worry about. The first chapter starts off brightly enough as fear spreads across the globe and a mass panic ensues. However its all very linear from there on as the story just builds to a rather underwhelming fight scene and the good guys prevail. The status quo remains virtually the same as it was before apart from Sin (the Red Skulls daughter) now being a greater threat to the Marvel universe. As for the heroic death of some heroes in this volume, they have already been reversed as Marvel counts down to the release of the Avengers film in a few months.

Fear Itself continues the trend set by Marvel over the last few years - yet an other drab event cross over ala Secret Invasion, House of M etc. I can only hope the forthcoming Avengers v X-men is a great step up from this war of attrition.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2012
The problem with this book is that it becomes more and more obvious that there were a number of tie ins to the story. It gets to the point where it seems that single panels appear to have popped out of nowhere, make a brief impact and then, whoosh! they're gone. Characters react to events "off screen" that turning the page reveals...nothing. Which is a shame, because I liked the story and in particular the opening chapter, part of which is set in 1942 with Cap, Bucky and Namor (actually making it worth the cover price, for me). I just ended up wanting more. I don't buy individual issues of comics these days so I don't know if it's still common practice for off story events to be referenced,e.g. "See Avengers 401" etc. but I felt that this book needed such things.
Still it is worth buying for the artwork, especially in the first chapter. Just be prepared for some head scratching.
on 9 March 2012
Regardless to contrary belief I thought fear itself was a extremely interesting marvel event. It was a great read and had me riveted, I couldn't wait to find out the ending, which I found amazing. I love the fact that there are parts missing from the main story, meaning I'd have to buy the rest of the crossovers to fill in the gap. The artwork is also amazing, showing the characters brilliantly. Overall Matt Fraction did a terrific job and the only reason I haven't given it four stars is because its not as good as some marvel events but is still so good.
on 3 October 2012
Fear Itself is the perfect gift for a young boy who loves action and lots of fighting between superheroes. Because that's pretty much all there is in it. There is not a great deal of story building beyond the very basic story they give you at the start. That is pretty much the diving board and the rest of the story just takes a massive dive into battle without working on it's run up.

I am more of a DC fan than I am a Marvel fan, and Fear Itself has done absolutely nothing to change that. It has, if anything, made me think my choice of franchise is well-placed.

I gave it three stars due to the fact that it's something you can just pick up and not have to delve too deeply to either understand or enjoy the fight scenes. It is not totally bad, like most reviews on here would have you believe, it's just not something that a true comic fan would ever get too excited about reading. I certainly do not plan on re-reading it.
on 10 January 2013
Just finished this book, and have Avengers and Secret Avengers lined up next (both of which I follow) which may add something.
One of the problem with big event books is the numerous characters and what occurs in their own books sometimes leaves gaps in story and characterisation. It was less of a problem with Civil War, house of M, and Secret Invasion all of which I liked as they stood alone.
This seems to miss a certain something. The scraps are good, but it's mainly one big slam-down. The characterisation seems a bit off kilter- Thor's dialogue is awry in places, Odin is a tosser (which may be new-Odin, I dunno), Cap doesn't seem quite right either.
There's a few deaths to give it gravitas, which were well depicted. It felt as if it would have ramifications, which I also like, and the art was excellent.
In short, worth a read - nice idea- plenty of action- but left with sense could have been better.
on 15 April 2013
I have mixed feelings about this. Whilest many could argue it is yet another massive crossover which nobody wanted, this one has the potential to be the most epic, as the sheer power of having what amounts to a small army of mini-Thors smashing the world apart could lead to some amazing battles - and occasionally does. Thor has an amazing battle against a couple of the Worthy. However, at other time, the epicness just fails to come through. Bucky's death is rather devoid of emotion, to the point that I, at first, did not realise that it had happened and the final battle is not the earth-shattering affair it could have been, with the Avengers winning too easily and a certain somebody's death, again, failing to have much impact. On the whole, not a bad read but, compared to what it could have been, not a great one.
on 22 February 2015
i didnt care who died in this, i have already seen they are brought back with vague explanations.
even the panels are inconsistent, a bad guy turns into a dragon off panel, but i was confused and thought, wait, does he have a dragon or is that him?
The story isn't built up so when the characters say the genuinely believe they can't beat these guys i was thinking, "SERIOUSLY? You beat the Skrull and Thanos! The difference with them is they built up how big those bad guys were."
So when the goodies are talking about accepting defeat it seemed totally out of charaacter especially with incompressible people like Thor and Cap.
Some deaths are shoved in your face and u see coming a mile away which means nothing when they actually die (and are brough back to life in like 9 issues)