4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of blog entries
Published on 26 Jan 2007 by A Nanny Mousse

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but ...
Published on 13 Nov 2008 by SAH

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of blog entries, 26 Jan 2007
Blood, Sweat & Tea is a collection of 'Tom Reynolds' favourite posts from his blog, random acts of reality, annotated to give updates and comment on how he now feels about what he had then written. The book is funny, tragic and intriguing all at once, and certainly dispells any misconceptions you may have had about the job of paramedics and what they can really do to save people. Whether or not you had read the blog previously(I hadn't), this book will certainly keep you entertained, and possibly even inspire you to change career. A good read, whatever your medium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very well written., 16 Feb 2007
Blood, sweat and tea is a printed version of parts of an online blog written by Tom Reynolds. It very easy to read and engulfs you into the sometimes bizzare world of the London Ambulance service.

His entries vary from drunks who have fallen over to tradgic cardiac arrests.

This is a fantasic read which is sometimes very funny, sometimes very sad and most of the time very cynical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood,sweat and tea, 10 Mar 2013
Although not a good literary work,I found this book very informative,especially the use of mobile phones to identify people.I have passed this onto whoever I've spoken to since reading about the potential use of mobiles for ID & will continue to do so.

This book has confirmed my suspicions about the inappropriate use of our ambulance service &the time wasters in our community.

I did get a bit sick of his rants & repetitions but they just show that he is human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Tom, 20 Aug 2006
What a great read, a must for dossing on the beach or even on the train to work.

Tom has hit the nail right on the head with this book.

Ambulance staff in the UK are sick and tired of being portrayed like Josh and Comfort from Casualty and Holby City.

This book tells it like it is.

The waste of time calls we have to go to.

The total abuse the public put on the 999 service.

They smoke cannabis and call 999 because they "feel funny".

They get drunk then call us for a lift home.

They call us when having babies even though they have 3 cars outside, no contractions and the hospital is 200 yards away.

We get called to tramps and the great unwashed and the caller demanding we do something.

These are the rubbish calls we get sent to while 1 mile away someone is dying and we can't go because we are tied up with rubbish.

We get verbally and physically assualted (last count it was two crews every single 24 hours in Capital City alone).

BUY THIS BOOK TODAY and see what being an ambulance person is really like.

Well done Tom!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and sad, it makes you think about the job that EMTs do, 14 Jun 2007
I discovered Tom Reynolds's blog, 'Random Acts of Reality' 3 months ago after seeing references to it on the blogs of friends and friends of friends and I've been lurking there ever since. This book is a compendium of highlights from that blog - not that there's anything wrong with that in the slightest and I very much hope that it gets more people to go and read it.

There are some v. tragic stories (particularly those where children die suddenly), some v. funny stories (the one with the toxic poo did - to my shame - have me rolling on the floor in laughter) and some stories that will make you go WTF?! (particularly the nurses who fail to open access doors to hospital despite being notified and the 'carers' who don't think that caring is in their job description).

With the exception of the 7/7 attacks, none of the entries are dated and I think that would be my only complaint about it as it's difficult to get a timeline from the entries themselves unless you're a long-time reader of the blog itself. Apart from that, it's a v. interesting read and definitely worth a look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but ..., 13 Nov 2008
SAH (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
Although I enjoyed around half of the entries and found them entertaining and often very touching, this book should come with a warning.... for all NHS staff who work outside of the ambulance service! While the author acknowledges that his comments are not meant to tar all NHS employees with the same brush, and definitely the shortages of staff put pressure on all, there are several occasions where doctors, nurses and midwives are made out to be rude and uncaring and often this book descends into ranting about these professional groups. While dipping in and out of a blog the odd rant is ok, I found that in a book form these frequent angry entries got in the way of the flow of an otherwise enjoyble book.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 18 Aug 2006
This book is brilliant! Hilarious , un-put-downable!

I always wonder what happens to my patients before they appear in A&E, now I know and boy do I respect Ambulance men!

If you're a health professional don't read this on the tube or bus...it's hilarious , you'll find yourself laughing at everything and people edging slowly away from you..

Please write a book about your A&E rgn experiences!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly brilliant!!, 4 Feb 2007
I was perusing Amazon as I often do and stumbled across this. As regularly happens, I thought I'd give it a go.

How pleased and yet disappointed was I that I finished the whole book in just under two days. As a previous reviewer mentioned, I too read it whilst brushing my teeth. Never before has a book grabbed my attention in such a short space of time.

My only concern was the lost and gutting feeling I experienced after finishing it, but no, I didn't call an ambulance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Nov 2006
This book contains selected diary entries from Tom Reynolds blog, resulting in an easy, thoughtful and insightful read. I couldnt put it down - no really - I read it whilst making a cup of tea, as I put a wash on and even whilst I brushed my teeth. It's that good. As a result I finished it in two days, and that's where the book becomes outstandingly good value - as I then added the blog to my favourites and so still get to read Tom's sound, down to earth writing.

The book drives you through several emotions - anger, sadness, hilarity, sympathy and frustration to name a few.

I have even more respect and admiration for the Ambulance Service than I already had before I read this book. Nice one, Tom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Real life or real whinge?, 11 Mar 2014
C. Herron "Christine Herron" (Aberdeenshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm reading all those rave reviews and wondering why i never saw any of the magic when I read the book, Its no literary masterpiece and seems to be a diary of someone who has no respect either for his patients or his colleagues and would really be happier doing anything else.
Heaven preserve us from front line emergency workers who we need to be able to trust and depend on in a crisis, but who cant wait to slag us all off.
If the guy needs to blow his whistle, there are better ways of doing it - in my opinion

Blood Sweat and Tea
Blood Sweat and Tea by Tom Reynolds (Audio CD - 12 Jun 2010)
Out of stock