This is a brilliant story of how determination can get you what you want, but mostly of just how wonderfully kind people are all around the world. This story really inspired me with the idea that we are all one people on this Earth despite our differing circumstances. We all
Published on 3 Jun. 2009 by Amazon Customer

ROSIE SWALE POPE's remarkable achievement is admirable.

The fundamental purpose of Rosie's trip, together with her almost incredible endurance, an eternal optimism, and her own unswerving faith in the goodness of all and everything - human, animal and spiritual - keeps her going. As it does the reader too, actually.

But what a disappointing effort...
Published on 17 Oct. 2009 by Bic

3.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable feat (feet) by Rosie; shabby effort by HarperCollins, 17 Oct. 2009
Bic (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
ROSIE SWALE POPE's remarkable achievement is admirable.

But what a disappointing effort has been presented us by the publisher. Rosie's trip ended in late-August 2008; her story is published just the following May - and it shows. The proof-reading is excruciating; the editing shameful: could she not have been advised professionally to ease up a little on the Thank you everyones and persuaded to include more practical interest and detail?

And where are the MAPS? For goodness' sake: this is essentially a TRAVEL account!

Let us hope the title wins a reprint. A considered reprint.

Verdict: Five out of five for Rosie; one out of five the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful of book of true life human kindness right around the world!, 3 Jun. 2009
suffer the same diseases and in particular Cancer is a world-wide issue. All around the the world people are battling and surviving and so many of these still have the compassion to help a stranger. You will enjoy and be moved by this charming and passionate book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Laugh or cry, 12 July 2010
There is no doubt that this is an amazing feat of human endurance but I was completely non-plussed by the book. The travelogue extends from gushing accounts of the banal to... well absolutely nothing for thousands of miles. We know nothing of this woman from reading the book apart from a dogged determination to put one foot in front of the other, endlessly. She seems to have no observation skills at all, no thoughts worth recording (apparently) and even less to comment on. Who is Rosie? I have no idea. WHo advised her to write this? They need shooting. An amazing journey over five years covering thousands of miles of inhospitable terrain, battling ferocious elements and encountering isolated peoples living on the edge of survival and the book is about the length of an average pamphlet! This is woeful.
I'm left with so many questions. Is Rosie courageous or selfish? Brave or reckless? Where are the stories of the many people who selflessly made this journey possible? How DO you get a pair of running shoes to such remote places with such amazing timing and how was that done? And why am I not informed? I could write more about a jog around the local park - infact this review might be almost as long as the book. Save your money. There is no insight here and the prose and editing are appalling. Sadly you will probably end up irritated by this remarkable woman rather than admiring her!!

Additional: I think the problem with the positive reviews of the book is that they focus on her physical achievement and not the book as a literary work. This is supposed to be a BOOK review and not a review of Rosie Swale Pope. As I have said, her achievement in the journey was remarkable but the book is just remarkably bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything Rosie, 18 Aug. 2011
Im welsh I live in Wales but somehow this amazing lady's story bypassed me until we sat watching the welsh news and caught a glimpse of a very understated news clip of her returning home, sat there in disbelief saying to each other "did they just say "Returning from her run around the world????!"" "I think so...."
Charting her day to day survival and her existence in temperatures of -30, its an incredibly moving and inspiring read, certainly stopped me whinging for a few weeks! An incredible feat.
Its funny but there are a few reviews on here criticising her writing skills of the lack of reflection into her emotional state throughout the run, personally I found myself glad that the book is'nt full of self pitying drivel (it could justifiably be!) her detachment from her emotions, lack of constant rumination and absolute focus on ensuring that her kit and food were priority were probably her escape from that crushing grief (we all feel like running away sometimes)and her message of raising cancer awareness was a moving tribute and a real act of love for the husband she has lost and the ones that she hopes to save by raising that awareness.

Yes at times her hyper positivity and her glowing descriptions of everyone a little tiring (occasionally you'd quite like her to stick 2 fingers up at the motorist that cut her up) it would have been really good to see a progress map but, its who she is, what she does and really, thats what the book is about.
Buy it runner or not you wont fail to feel inspired by this amazing lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly inspirational...., 21 July 2009
Ms. P. H. Clague "Pauline C" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
I dont normally put reviews on, but this is an exception to the rule!

I read a clip of this book in Runnersworld and had to buy it. Rosie is without doubt one of the most inspirational people I have ever heard about, and has spurred me into running again. I could not put it down it was that good!

The hardships she shared, but more importantly the friends she made were awe inspiring.

She really must be made a Dame and nothing less!

Thank you Rosie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 9 Nov. 2009
Natasha Long "GeekygirlUK" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on a whim due to the title and a brief synopsis, as it is not my usual genre. The simple conversational tone made it a very easy read. The story itself is impressive and inspiring. The story is more about the people the author met during her run rather than the hardship of the run itself, and I think another two books could be written from the stuff that is not included. As a Londoner, I generally find myself quite down on people as a whole - city life does not generally lend itself to selflessness and altruism. But in this book I read about people from all over the northern hemisphere going out of their way to help a stranger. While the author doesn't delve into deeper stories from most of her acquaintances, or even give masses of detail about the amazing sights she saw, you gain an image of the beauty, fortitude and humility of the people and places she encountered along her way. If you are feeling a bit down on life this book might just raise your spirits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish there was more, 10 Sept. 2011
SMR (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted to read this book to try and understand why someone undertakes such a (to me) daunting and dangerous journey. I think I got some answers to that question as she talks about those things in the book and how she manages fear.

I also love reading about other countries, cultures, people. It that respect I found the book incredibly interesting but wanted more details about some of the people she met, places she walked through etc. It's a shame the journey had to be condensed to fit into one book, I would have loved more. As someone else mentioned, it would have been good to have had maps in the book showing the route. But that said, it's a great read and I'd recommend it if you want to read about someone with tremendous courage, stamina and love for family and friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but needs a couple of improvements., 21 Mar. 2010
Ms. Karen Hall (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book is first and foremost truly inspirational. The journey is incredible and it will make you wonder why you haven't done something just as brave, adventurous and outstanding. I especially liked the way Rosie talks about the communities and individuals that helped her along the way. The part about Dollar the dog was lovely.

I would say that the publication of the book seems rushed, there are mistakes that a porper proof read could have avoided.

Another thing that would have made the book better is a detailed map of the journey. There were quite a few times when I found myself flicking through the pictures to find a map and then remembering there isn't one.

Overall a great read if you like adventure books and Rosie is an amazing woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars restores your faith in humanity, 3 Nov. 2009
M. A. S. Chalkley (UK) - See all my reviews
Was lucky enough to hear Rosie speak at a Superwoman event in October. Her positive attitude and almost child-like ability to see joy in everything was infectious so I decided to buy the book. I dont like running and I dont like travel books!! But this story is about more than these topics!
It is a story of hope, stubbornness and sheer strength, overcoming unimaginable obstacles, all wrapped up in a bright light of strangers' kindness and Rosie's unswerving belief that there is good in everything - even drunken criminals... in the Siberian forest ... in the middle of winter... in the dark of night...on her own. READ IT!
Please do a second edition with maps and more pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a little Run around the world, 9 July 2009
S. D. Pickett "Sylvia pickett 'book maven" (Steyning Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
Rosie just wants you to keep turning the pages of her amazing book about her epic expeditions.I say expeditions and not in the singular, as this book has so many 'mini' ones!Such a brave lady! She has done it for a great cause too. Well done Rosie!!

Just a Little Run Around the World
Just a Little Run Around the World by Rosie Swale-Pope (Audio CD - 12 April 2010)
Out of stock