The Dead Ways
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£6.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 5 April 2012
I will admit to being a little unreasonably wary of The Dead Ways before picking it up because I was worried that it might have been a little young for me as I have a history with not enjoying middle grade books because I often find the writing and story style too simplistic. However, I was not to worry. The Dead Ways is a great piece of fiction for young adults and adults alike. Okay, so there were quite a few convenient near misses throughout the novel but that's something I just associate with middle grade fiction and thus it bothers me a lot less than when it occurs in adult fiction.

As for the writing style itself I was gripped from the very first page. The Dead Ways begins with Scott being kidnapped from outside of his school and so straight away we have a fast paced scene and questions to be answered. Why kidnap Scott? Who are the kidnappers? What is so important about Scott's father? And though it's a very short novel at just under 200 pages, it feels just right. The story doesn't drag and it manages to fit everything in pretty perfectly.

I particularly enjoyed Tom's character. There's something about a gruff, almost-hippyish, Celtic loving, hairy middle-aged man that just makes that kind of character ultimately loveable (see: Hagrid). He was a caring father character with a few quirks and it was so easy to become attached to him.

Honestly, I think it was inevitable that I would love The Dead Ways considering how much ancient British legend and lost Celtic history was a part of the story. I'm a bit of a sucker for ancient Britain and legend. If you're looking for a quick but highly interesting and exciting read, do give The Dead Ways a try. And follow Christopher Edge on Twitter while you're at it!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My mother always used to tell me that the best things came in small packages. If that is true then The Dead Ways by Christopher Edge is a perfect example of this maxim. At a mere 208 pages it weighs in way below most horror stories for the 11+ age group, but even so it still packs quite a punch.

Main character Scott is the son of a civil servant who is very much involved in a project known as the Greening of the Roads, whereby the government plans to close down a number of the country's motorways and replace them with environmentally railways. However, there is much more to this new initiative than meets the eye and Scott soon finds his life changing in ways he never would have predicted, first through a failed kidnap attempt and then when his father is discovered dead, apparently having committed suicide.

Alongside Scott's story is that of Jason, a Detective Inspector in the police force. Whilst travelling home one night Jason encounters what can only be described as a ghostly apparition; a dark hooded figure that passes through the metal walls of his car and attacks him so that "the breath was crushed from his body as a soul-searing agony rushed through his veins". Unfortunately he calls for back-up and from that moment on his career would appear to be on something of a decline.

Eventually the paths of these two main characters cross and they find themselves up to their necks in a conspiracy that stretches right to the roots of the government, with a super-creepy cult trying to open the Dead Ways of the book's title - an event that would have disastrous consequences for everyone.

This is not your everyday zombie book (of which there are many on the market at the moment). In fact, although the dead do rise I did not associate them at all with the zombies that seem to be flavour of the month in kids' and YA books at the moment. I think in my mind I had them down as more ghostly than zombie-like, but they are none the less scary for it. There is also not a great deal of gore within the story, and again I think this adds to the creep factor of the book. Unlike most zombie books though it is not the zombies themselves that are the most creepy - this honour must go to the cult members. And believe me, they are nasty.

This is the first book in a series and as such although the initial storyline is concluded to a degree there are a lot of questions left unanswered. I guess you could liken it to Darren Shan's Cirque Du Freak in this respect - a short first book to set up the characters and story, with (hopefully) many more books to follow. I am definitely keen to see how Christopher Edge develops his story in the sequel, although I do not yet have any information on when this might be published.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I started The Dead Ways a little bit apprehensively as I am not the type of person that usually enjoys zombie books. There has been so many Zombie titles dropping through my door of late that I have quite honestly got fed up with them. However in this case I was pleasantly surprised and pleased that I decided to give this one a go as it is very different from other Zombie novels I have had come my way.

The book itself starts with a prologue which goes along at break neck pace and this doesn't let up throughout the entire story making you want to read and read and read until you can read no more. From the outset as a reader you are thrown quite literally into the thick of it alongside the main character Scott and find yourself being dragged along this fast paced and creepy ride.

What I liked about this book was that it wasn't your average zombie story. In much of the book the zombies themselves are just a suggestion or an idea which no one quite believes in but I think this makes them all the more creepier. I also liked that there was some kind of explanation with its own history about where they came froma and how they came into being. I also enjoyed that there was a creepy conspiracy story added in with a super creepy masonic cult thrown in. I actually think those dudes were far more creepy that anything zombieish. I also liked how it was set in a future world which was slighly different from our own albeit in subtle ways and seeing how that world changed the world view of some of the characters from our own.

This book being book one in a series sets up loads of thread that I can't wait to see explored in future books. I am definitely looking forward to seeing how it plays out.