on 23 June 2004
I have always loved the story of chicken Licken. It is about a chicken who is hit on the head by an acorn and thinks the sky is falling. He sets off to tell the king and meets many friends on the way. This "Read it yourself" version has about 20 words on each page in big print. It also has lovely bright colour illustration on every page and a place at the front to write who the book belongs to. This is a perfect book to help your child learn to read with.
on 4 September 2009
I have grown atached to this book and i am now in year 6 and still love it! I have never been sick of it. I would recomend this book to everyone because it is suitable for all ages and it has easy text. It is funny and humourous. I LOVE every part of this story. Chicken Licken is great and all my friends liked it. It is very repetative which is what i like about it. It would be a brilliant idea for a birthday present for a little boy or girl. I will always love this book.

By Nicole and flora
on 4 February 2004
A well told, simply illustrated version of a classic tale.
My daughter requests this book every night before bed and loves to finish each page herself (although she can't yet read).
It's also not too graphic regarding what happens in the Foxy Loxy Family Lair at dinner time.
Smashing!
on 31 March 2003
The First Favourite Tales series is superb - excellent stories with good illustrations and just the right length to read as a bedtime stories!
Chicken Licken has to find the king as "the sky is falling down" and on his way encounters drakey lakey, goosey loosey et al. They also run into Foxy Loxy - trouble is Foxy Loxy lures them to his family lair, so they dont actually make it to see the king. Reading this to my 3/4 year old I thought it was a bit harsh, but she didnt bat an eyelid.
Overall a good book!
on 19 October 2009
I remember my parents reading me this book as a little kid which prompted me to purchase it for my 2 year old daughter. It's a simple story to follow, though fast paced and accompanied by some excellent drawings.

She loves it and is very keen to join in calling out the various animal names.
Although the ending is a bit gruesome, (all the birds are eaten by the fox and his family), there's no detail and my daughter either doesn't relate what the story is saying or doesn't mind!

I mentioned I'd bought this book to my father the other week and that I didn't actually remember the ending. He replied that in his day he'd changed it for me to something happier. Not sure if that says something about his parenting skills or mine...
on 6 July 2008
When an acorn drops on Chicken Licken's head, he thinks the sky is falling down and rushes to tell the King. Chicken Licken is a great story for kids and keeps them entertained again and again. They love joining in with each part and trying out new voices for the characters. I love how the names rhyme: Chicken Licken, Henny Penny, Cocky Locky, Ducky Lucky, Goosey Loosey, Drakey Lakey, etc. This is a Level 2 Read It Yourself book and has simple sentences, easy vocabulary, clear readable type, exciting illustrations and engaging characters. This story is told in a way which uses regular repetition of the main words and phrases, which enables children to recognise the language more and more as they progress through the book.
on 31 December 2008
First Favourite Tales - Fab series for 2 year olds
I bought this entire series to give as birthday and christmas presents, to my 2 year old daughter and to other children. They have been a massive hit. The illustrations are lovely and, like the Snuggle Up series, the way they are written with rhyme and repetition as a central theme make them irresistible to toddlers. My daughter loves these books and wants to read them again and again, and they encourage her to join in too. I really wanted to introduce her to some of the classic fairy stories and this is a great, updated, way of doing so. Highly recommended.
on 7 September 2008
My Mum bought this for my 16 month old daughter over the summer as she had always loved listening to the list of names, and Maddy has loved it! A Good simple retelling, that's well written and nicely illustrated, although the layout is a bit old fashioned. It reads aloud beautifully, and despite many readings I am not getting sick of it!
on 9 March 2009
My two year daughter loves this story along with all the tales available in the series. It is well worded and has really colorful pages that will keep all children amused. These stories never date or fall out of fashion as I was reading them when I was a boy and there are still as good now. Also good value for money.
on 15 May 2011
My wee grandson loves this story he just loves stories with birds and animals in them ,my boys loved all these stories a long time ago as well .Good stories are always popular. Nice pictures to look at when being read to for small boys.