Format: Board book|Change

on 1 December 2011
My 21 months girl loves this book, she keeps relating to what her baby brother does and the book has helped me explain to her why the baby cries and what we can do to help him.

She relates to the baby crying and feeding and keeps pointing that the baby is little and that's why he / she does things such as crying and being breastfed.

Lovely to highlight differences from before the baby is born to "prepare" the older sibling on what to expect.
on 10 December 2010
I bought this along with the 'Waiting for Baby' book in the series. This one is even more popular with my 2yr old than the other. We discuss all the pages and many questions are being asked about 'what will happen with...?' and 'can we do this?'. Bonus elements to the book are the fact that the mummy breastfeeds (though I've carefully explained this and bottles to keep my options open!), and the page where the child is sitting on the potty, whereas the baby is having its nappy changed. Perfect opportunity to show how grown up and special an older sibling is sitting on a potty, compared to the baby.
This book has gone in and out 'of fashion' with my child over the last few months along with other books, but each time its back in favour we have more and more conversations on the subject matter, even when we are doing activities shown in the book, rather than actually reading the book.
Our new baby hasn't arrived yet, but am confident this book will have made a difference and allowed us to discuss all sorts of questions and scenarios, even though of course there will still be the shock of a real life loudly crying new sibling. :-)
on 26 March 2013
Very simple would have preferred a story rather than all questions as my 14 month old gets fed up with the questions, we've made our own story for now to keep his attention but go through the questions sometimes with him also. Not a fault with the book just my son's preference. It is good very good for slightly older than my son.
on 7 May 2013
It helps that we have a little blond boy, and that I vaguely resemble the mummy in the story, so my son really relates to this book. He's approaching 2 years old and we're expecting another baby in about a month. I don't think he's grasped the reality of the situation, but this book certainly gives us ways to explore the idea with him. His favourite page is of the baby crying while its nappy is being changed! There aren't a lot of words which is fine as he isn't reading yet, and the illustrations provide plenty of opportunity to discuss what's happening, eg. baby sleeping, feeding, crying, big brother helping etc.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 April 2016
This book is a step on from the pregnancy book from what's happening with mummy to setting out expectations and experiences that may happen when a new baby arrives. The previous one was great to explain what was going on and so we switched from the pregnancy one to this from 28 weeks to help our now 3 year old process the kind of things that may happen, ask questions and role play with her dolly before her little sister arrives.

It uses comparison in many pages as a developmentally friendly way of engaging with the target ages' comprehension- why do I use the potty while baby uses nappies? I eat food whilst baby has milk? But also explains other things like going for a walk and still spending time with mummy and daddy.

The good thing about this book is if you are intending on breastfeeding it is treated very naturally here, no hoohah or over-explaining, just natural that baby is breastfed, other books I've seen emphasise bottles which is great for bottle feeders but confusing for this age group if you intend to breastfeed.
A downside is whilst somewhat androgynous (I'm leaning both children are boys) this book isn't as ethnically ambiguous as others in the collection with clearly blonde Caucasian children, for some it won't matter, for others visual representation is important, you need to decide where you stand.

Overall an excellent book to prepare your circa 18mo-4 year old for a new sibling and the changes and differences in life shown in a gentle, positive and developmentally supportive manner.
on 25 March 2011
We bought this for our son(2 year old) as I am 5 months pregnant and its a nice simple way to get him used to the idea that pretty soon we will have another baby around. This book is absolutly lovely and is done a clever way so the baby appears that it can be a boy or girl and this is also the same for the older child too. This is becoming one of my sons favourite books that he loves to look at and read together, and he talks about baby coming :)
on 9 December 2011
Bought this to introduce my 3 year old to the concept of becoming a big sister. We read it daily until her brother was born and she was aware of what life would be like in practical terms with the new addition. It covers breast feeding & crying and my daughter has accepted the changes at home as they are exactly as covered in the book
on 20 April 2013
I bought this for my 16 mth old daughter. Its a lovely book for her age - very simple with nice pictures including babywearing and breastfeeding which is a bonus.
on 8 July 2010
Good book for a child to get used to the idea of having another child in the house.
on 5 March 2013
My older son loved looking at this with me before and after his little brother arrived. Very useful to prepare them for the realities of a new baby in the house and a good counterbalance to the useful idea fed to little ones that a new baby will be someone to play with. This book will prepare an older sibling for the fact that baby's cry, drink milk, can't play or walk. Suitable for a 2 year old who's expecting a sibling. I've now passed my copy onto a friend expecting her second.