5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for baby

3.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to keep it relevant to us
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by Maisy mouse's mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for baby, 3 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This book has proved to be an invaluable way of talking about the baby growing in mummy's tummy. Our two and a half year old amazed us by telling us what it was about and by using the illustrations to describe what was going on in our family. The simple illustration of 'the mummy having a scan' helped when we took him along to the hospital to see the baby 'on telly', as he really seemed to understand what was happening. This book has enabled our son to lead the conversation and to ask his own questions about the baby, although the picture of daddy helping to cook the dinner has left him somewhat mystified!!
A fantastic book that I couldn't rate any higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight ..., 15 Oct 2006
This book was so helpful. I didn't realize until afterwards what a big impact it had on our son. I didn't mention I was having a baby until a month or two before. I showed him the book a few times, talking about what was happening and emphazing the more relevant pages. He told my husband he was supposed to bring me a cup of tea! (while the mother puts her feet up) I think the book really helped him make sense of things. We 'read' the book an hour before I went off to the hospital. There is a picture of the father opening the car door for the mother and she's got a bag and the grandmother is at the door of the house with the boy. That is exactly what happened. He kept looking in the book as if to see that what happened was right or to see what happens next. What does happen next is the boy comes in with his father to visit the mother in the hospital. This book prepares young children for the excitement of shopping and decorating for a baby, the scan, the mother resting more, the mother going off to the hospital and the presence of the baby. It helps them make sense of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a well designed book for toddlers, 7 Nov 2003
I am impressed with this book. There are no words, but that lets us tailor the story for our daughter. The main character is indeterminant sex, so it will work with boys and girls.
There is plenty to look at in each picture and it is a very happy story.
This book has captured our daughter's imagination and I hope it prepares her for her upcoming big sisterhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: Waiting for Baby (New Baby) (Board book)
Good book,easy for my 21 month old to turn the pages on, good pictures and descriptions for my toddler to understand, good price for book too wouldnt pay anymore for it, hardback too so no danger of the pages ripping.
Definetly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs one more page, 20 July 2007
I am 5 months pregnant and have been reading this book with my 3 year old. It's good that you make up your own words as I can add detail about anything she's been asking about the baby (such as can she help give the baby its breakfast). I am planning to breastfeed so I'm glad there are not too many pictures of bottles.

My one complaint is that the book ends with the child and father going to visit mother and new baby in hospital, there is no homecoming shown. It took us a day or two to work out why my daughter started saying "Mummy I think we should all live in our house together" and "I don't want to live here by myself". So now I end the last page by talking about how they will all go home together in their car.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly simple, 13 April 2011
Hampshire Bookworm (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Baby (New Baby) (Board book)
Bought this title for my three year old grandson to prepare him for the arrival of a little brother. Found the text very limited and it required a lot of input from the reader to make it interesting. The illustrations disapointingly simple and rather poorly drawn. He did not engage with the book at all and was just not interested in it; he found other books on the subject much more fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Book, 27 Mar 2011
B. C. Smith (Fressingfield, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting for Baby (New Baby) (Board book)
This book is very babyish having thick board pages and stilted sentences and not much content. Not really very helpful at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to keep it relevant to us, 21 Oct 2010
This review is from: Waiting for Baby (New Baby) (Board book)
I really like the format that lets you tell your own story about what's happening, but I found quite a few pages not relevant to our situation and difficult to explain, eg going to the hospital for a scan (we didn't take my daughter with us) and decorating the baby's room (the new baby will have to share a room). Some pages have really had an impact though, especially the page about visiting the doctor for a check up. Overall I have found this book less helpful than its companion My New Baby

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed the point about birth, 5 Jan 2011
This little book has 14 pictures, each describing a situation. Picture 1: Toddler cuddling with mum. Picture 2: Mum, dad and toddler reading a baby products catalogue. Picture 3: Toddler and Mum both each on a scale, toddler with doll under his shirt. Picture 4: Toddler and mum at the doctor, doctor measuring blood pressure. Picture 5: Toddler and mum at the ultrasound. Picture 6: Toddler buying baby products. Picture 7: Mum and toddler decorating baby's room. Picture 8: Mums bump really big. Picture 9: Dad and toddler assembling baby bed. Picture 10: Grandparents coming for toddler, Dad on phone with hospital. Picture 11: Mum climbing into car, toddler and grandparents saying goodbye. Picture 12: Grandparents and toddler receive the message that baby is born. Picture 13: Toddler with flower in hospital. Picture 14: Mum in bed with baby, surrounded by toddler and dad.

Sorry to say, but I really didn't like the way the pictures were drawn. They are too coloured, with not enough details. In this book "Waiting for baby" seems to be a pretty superficial thing with lots of shopping involved, but not an exciting, unbelievable event. I would have liked to see more pictures showing what actually happens inside mums bump. Or more pictures about the life with a newborn. Pictures where mum and dad are blissfully happy about their new baby etc. But everything is reduced to shopping, hospitals and being on the phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 5 July 2014
Bit pointless really.

Waiting for Baby (New Baby)
Waiting for Baby (New Baby) by Rachel Fuller (Board book - 1 May 2009)
3.59