5.0 out of 5 stars So right even though I was wrong.
I bought this book in the mistaken belief that I'd learn how to make various types of British sausage. It's actually a collection of recipes that include sausages that you've already bought somewhere else.
Published on 25 Dec 2010 by James Nicoll

3.0 out of 5 stars Sausages
As this book was promoted alongside a mincing machine I thought it would be full of recipes to make your own sausages. It is in fact a book full of recipes that include sausages! I.e. sausage and mash,toad in the hole etc.
Published 22 months ago by Jbkelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So right even though I was wrong., 25 Dec 2010
James Nicoll (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
I fully admit that I ordered in haste without reading the description properly but, I'm still very glad that I did. A tiny, wonderful book full of tasty recipes. I've already decided to get more books from the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sausages, 16 Sep 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
I bought this because I thought it would have recipes for making sausages to go with the sausage machine I've just bought. Instead it has recipes for shop bought sausages. Ridiculous recipes such as sausage and mash! Who needs a recipe to make that????

5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes for cooking sausages rather than making them., 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
In the usual format for Salmon Favourite Recipes this book has 34 recipes interspersed with pictures of pastoral scenes; horses in this case.

The recipes are all relatively short and uncomplicated. Each recipe with ingredients and method fits on a single page of the postcard sized book. Absent are any pictures of the finished dish.

Please do not buy this book if you are looking for recipes to make your own sausages.** This book is mainly about how to cook the finished sausage and offers the following suggestions:

Bangers and bows
Barbeque sausages
Cabbage and sausage casserole
Corfter's casserole
Cumberland sausage with onion mash and thyme gravy
Curried sausage savory
Devilled sausages
English breakfast risotto
Full English breakfast
Kidney and sausage casserole
Lorne sausage
Mustard grilled sausage with caramelised apples
Oxford sausages
Pork and apple sausages with parsnip and potato mash
Pork and leek sausages with black pudding and leek mash
Pork and stilton sausages with onion mash
Sausage and bacon pie
Sausage and bean pie
Sausage and mushroom rice ramekins
Sausage and potato supper
Sausage Lancashire hotpot
Sausage pot
Sausage stew
Sausage twists
Sausages with rich red onion gravy
Spicy sausages and rice
Toad-in-the-hole with onion gravy
Venison sausages braised in red wine
Wiltshire sausages

** There are two recipes for making your own sausage meat mix - neither using any form of skin - Oxford sausages and Wiltshire sausages.

All the recipes use Imperial measures (lbs and oz.) and oven temperatures are given as Fahrenheit or Gas Mark. However, at the back of the book, there is a page to help with converting from Imperial to Metric measures and with Fahrenheit/Gas Mark to Celsius. Conversions shown in the book are approximate.

Not to be found in the recipe book, this little snippet of sausage trivia can be found in The Daily Mail:

"The Victorians, sceptical of what was actually in a sausage and suspecting the presence of rather a lot of horsemeat, nicknamed them `Little Bags of Mystery'.

After the outbreak of World War I, food shortages led to a dramatic reduction of meat, of any sort, in sausages.

Instead, producers packed them out with scraps, cereal and water, which caused them to pop and hiss when cooked on shovels over open fires in the trenches of northern Europe -- hence `bangers'."

4.0 out of 5 stars sausage, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
We did think we were buying a book on what to put into our sausages but there are some really good recipes in this little book

4.0 out of 5 stars ausage recipe book, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
My fault I know, I actually thought I was buying a book of recipes to make sausages, but this book is making dishes containing sausages, some really good recipes though, having made my sausages, I have used this to create a dish,

3.0 out of 5 stars wasn't what I wanted, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
My mistake I was looking for a book with recipes on how to make sausages not how to cook them

4.0 out of 5 stars Short collection of recipes, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
I bought this for a friend and they really like it. It has a collection (about 20) sausage recipes - some are pretty obvious (bangers and mash) and others a little bit different. Not the most detail ever so should be used as more of an inspiration for ideas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
Used a couple of times, meals great I have quite a few of these recipe books.
They are great. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sausage reciepe book, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback)
Good little book for the price, lots of different ideas in the book to make and shall enjoy trying some of them out on my husband.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Favourite British Sausage Recipes
Favourite British Sausage Recipes (Paperback - 1 Jan 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01