5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Hillarious
I bought this as an impulse buy after reading a review of one of Crosley's other books in the paper. I have to say this is one of the funniest books I have ever read. The essays are witty and an insightful, as well as an interesting look into the life of a twenty something New Yorker. 'The Ursula Cookie' is probably the best of all the stories. A definate good read.
Published on 22 Sep 2010 by Gaddster

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be funnier....
Published 19 months ago by finalguy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be funnier...., 6 Dec 2012
finalguy (Newport (Wales)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Was Told There'd be Cake (Paperback)
I found this to be a slightly uneven book in it's humour. The first one hundred pages or so I found to be quite clever, but really failing at bringing the laughs. The second half however, I flew through, and the last few chapters are especially funny. I can't really fault it when my main complaint is that it needs a little rearranging though. I'll probably pick up more essays from this author in the future. It became my 'easy read for the bus' book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Hillarious, 22 Sep 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 24 Mar 2013
Great for dipping into, especially if you're a commuter. It's a collection of columns by the author, I wouldn't necessarily call it 'comedy' but it is amusing. There isn't any particular theme, they are just bundled together pieces about life in the city. I'd recommend it for dipping into when you just have a few minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: I Was Told There'd be Cake (Paperback)
To me this was a perfect summer book : not too serious or intellectual, but very well written and funny, as well as easy to read as it's made of short independent stories. I recommend it !

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book and perfect price, 10 Aug 2012
Ms. Stephanie Stern "sx2steph" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Was Told There'd be Cake (Paperback)
Good price, description as arrived, very happy. Perfect book for any girl who has every wondered, am i alone in doing/thinking that?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not hilarious, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: I Was Told There'd be Cake (Paperback)
Loved the title but this was not as amusing as its write up. Alas. I did finish it but it just failed to amuse me.
I much preferred "is everyone hanging out without me"

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure, 22 Mar 2014
Not sure about this, it wasn't a page turner!!! Never really got to know the character or story at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 Feb 2014
Now started the book twice but finding the style difficult to read not inspired to continue and may not finish it

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Funny Read, 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: I Was Told There'd be Cake (Paperback)
A great funny sharp book that is easily digested as is in essay form - so great for the commute, or (like me) between dealing with the kids!
Sharp observations about living in New York which are easily translatable to any urban single living experience.
I also read 'How did you get this number?'which is the same - equally enjoyable, buy both!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all over by Christmas - wait for the Greatest Hits!, 3 Jan 2011
Simon Barrett "Il penseroso" (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Was Told There'd be Cake (Paperback)
Engaging but patchy, like the higher-profile David Sedaris, who is obviously shaping up to be the new Mark Twain (but who beyond America's shores (alongside Thoreau Mencken and Emerson) reads him?) Maybe they aspire more to the condition of stand-up, which is all about 'love me', than to literature. I note Crosley credits in her acknowledgements those ('anyone'!) who 'edited me closer to funny'; dare I suggest that sometimes distance lends enchantment? The Christmas one is good - but it's over by p28. Heigh ho...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I Was Told There'd be Cake
I Was Told There'd be Cake by Sloane Crosley (Paperback - 1 Aug 2008)
6.29