5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant inspirational recipes, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
Stunning photography and lovely descriptions accompany these great new recipes. Jessica Haggerty is a bright new talent in the world of cookery writing, I feel newly inspired to get in the kitchen and will be eagerly looking out for her next collection

5.0 out of 5 stars brighton bakes rocks..., 17 April 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
i'm fairly new to the world of cooking, although i have been eating for some years now... i've been building up a collection of books to help me master this strange new hobby, and as i live in Brighton, i saw this and thought it'd be worth a look.

and wow! i'm not disappointed!!! the book is beautiful to look at, with some fantastic pictures that not only make the food look completely delicious, but also give a real flavour of Brighton (intentional pun alert!). the books laid out by season, which is pretty handy for making sure you're using 'in season' ingredients. Jessica also uses a lot of local suppliers & produce, which is a really nice touch i think.

the recipes themselves are awesome... lots of cakes & sweet dishes (great for me and my probably too sweet tooth!), but nicely balanced with some cracking savoury dishes (ham hock & pea pie my personal favorite!). i also like that some recipes are easy, and some seem a little more complicated. for a novice like me, it's good to be successful while still being able to move on to more tricky once my confidence grows!

Jessica's one cool cookie. i love her style, and very much hope to see more from her in the future... half hour BBC2 slot methinks!

overall, i thoroughly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully flawed!, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
Having eaten marvelous cakes in a Brighton cafe, I bought this book in the hope that I could recreate the unusual flavors such as plum and chilli. Sure enough, this book contained some of the recipes I was looking for and I wasted no time in trying them out. Some are stunning but some just don't seem to work! Quantities can be odd indeed; the little lamb pie filling could never fit in the pastry cases and the strawberry rose cake is gorgeous but seems almost commercial in size. It took twice as long to bake as the time stated. The pistachio cup cakes look delicious but there is no quantity given for the nuts in the ingredients list - I'll have to guess. Having said this, the candied orange cake was fantastic and the ham hock and pea pies are a triumph. This is a beautiful book with many flaws but I can't remember the last time I actually cooked so many recipes from one book and was still inspired to try more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Brighton Bakes book, 14 May 2013
P. J. Dawes "Penny D" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
Brighton Bakes book is Fab, I have made several things from it which turned out great, I also bought one for a friend who sadly is leaving Brighton just for her to remember what a fab place Brighton is

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
What a great cook book! Agree with previous review - scratch and sniff pages shoud be mandatory with Brighton Bakes! I was hungry just looking at pictures :) what I like a lot about this book is I want to read it from start to finish, which is unusual .... Normally you flick through and select option that catches your eye. Also love the Brighton connection and jess comes across as too cool for school! (In a good way!) totally recommend !

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
What a fabulous well written and colourful book. This isn't just any recipe book, this gem of a find also provides a delicious tour of Brighton, a must for any would be visitor with the added bonus of the most gorgeous recipes - easy to follow with full colour images of the end results. If you are going to treat yourself or friends to a recipe book this year, 'Brighton Bakes' should be at the top of the list. You will most certainly not be disappointed :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious all round!!, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
Not only is this a beautiful book to look at and a lovely read, but I can attest that the recipes are fabulous. Having baked my daughter a delicious birthday cake from it, I can foresee many further successful dishes and treats ahead. Try it for yourself..you will not be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight . . ., 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
because the presentation, photos and common-sense approach to the recipes were mostly spot-on. Daughter could now be inspired to cook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
I love this book! It has beautiful illustrations with unusual but easy to follow recipes. A new favourite for my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Brighton Bakes (Hardcover)
A beautifully written, and photographed, book that made me proud to have a Brighton connection! But, rather than being overly Brighton-centric (no seagull burgers or seaside smugness thankfully), it's more a celebration of tasty food, that happens to sometimes feature local produce (though I imagine you could easily get the equivalents anywhere). I guess that's where the Brighton part plays its role: the approach has a joyful sense of freedom and creativity, doesn't take itself too seriously and above all the content is exciting and vibrant. And it's got a frickin' Brighton Rock cake - what more could you want?
I thought it might be cakes all the way but there were enough savoury recipes to give my teeth a break and liked the way the book is divided up into interesting segments - you get food by the seasons as well as sections for birthdays, canapés, lunch boxes and some speedy suppers too. A few look a bit too delicate for my fat fingers but you've got to have something to aspire too!

Brighton Bakes
Brighton Bakes by Jessica Haggerty (Hardcover - 28 Mar 2013)