4.0 out of 5 stars East Coast Pilot
Published on 11 Oct 2005 by Mr M J Fry

2.0 out of 5 stars East Coast Pilot
I have to admit I am not very well acquainted with any of the Rivers other than the Ore and Alde, where my family used to have a sports fishing boat - so yachting in my own boat is a first for me - so I thought Imray's East Coat Pilot would inform me as well as provide practical pilotage tips for this summer's plans.

I have to say that although I was impressed...
Published on 1 Feb 2007 by Wooden Yachts

4.0 out of 5 stars East Coast Pilot, 11 Oct 2005
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
I have just returned from a week's cruise that put this pilot to good use from the River Ore/Alde to Maldon on the Blackwater. The pilot was easy to use, concise but not to the point of being dry to read. I found the large colour chartlets excellent and accurate and I particularly liked the buoy-by-buoy notes and "roadmap" courses & direction arrows for harbour entry. The summary tables of key information for each harbour were useful references too.
Some criticism - I did feel that the preferred port/river entry times w.r.t. high and low water were a bit skimpy. For example, the prefered entry time for both the Ore and the Deben are just given as HW-2. In fact it's quite feasible to enter or leave at low water in a shoal draft boat. For the Ore its useful to know that the ebb continues to flow for about an hour after LW at the bar which gives a useful extra bit of depth if you leave at this time. This is not mentioned but entry/departure times are a matter of some concern to a skipper new to this coast and fuller information on what would be viable and safe times to arrive/depart from the more challenging rivers would help in passage planning.
In summary, this is an excellent and most welcome new pilot book from a respected publisher that I would expect to provide strong competition to the established "East Coast Rivers" pilot. It also has the benefit of a website giving updates. Users are invited to contribute.
Final note:- The copy supplied to me was soft, not hard, cover. Amazon lists it as hardcover, which would be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Book, 4 July 2011
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
Have used this book only once so far when we sailed to the River Ore. This book, and the associated updates on its web site, were very helpful both in how to safely enter the river and with what to expect when we arrived. The aerial photos are a useful adjunct to two-dimensional charts and are invaluable when choosing an anchorage or looking at which parts of the river have sufficient depth.
There is also some basic information about places to visit, and the book gives contact details for harbour-masters etc.

I would heartily recoomend it to anyone who sails the East Amglian coast.

5.0 out of 5 stars East Coast Pilot, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
I bought 'East Coast Pilot' recently after using an elderly edition of 'East Coast Rivers' for the last few years.
After the 'Rivers' book, this one is a revelation. It fits my idea of what a pilot book should be, and made me realise that the old classic 'East Coast Rivers' has really lost the plot since Jack Coote passed on. It sticks to its agenda - and the text is written in a straightforward style, with very good pictures to go with it.
Another plus in my eyes is the website that the authors maintain, it shows all the updates and seems to be kept very current.
Really pleased with my purchase. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars East Coast Pilot, 21 Aug 2012
Peter Ford (Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
The latest edition of this book is essential reading for anyone who sails on the East Coast. The aerial pictures, charts and photographs make it easy to enter even the most tricky harbours & rivers and the links to the website enable the latest updates to be obtained.

I would not sail without a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great useful book, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
This book brought rolling road maps to the east Coast, now you can follow the directions given to get into some of the more challenging rivers.

It is written by experienced local sailors and is kept up to date via their website and monthly emails. So chartlets are never out of date.

For a competent offshore sailor, this book gives sufficient detail to help inform them about when and how to enter East Coast rivers, channels and harbours. Just add in a time-table and a weather forecast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take the advice !, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
Very helpful for my first time out through the Thames estuary and up the East coast. The predicted difficulty entering the Deben at the end of the ebb tide proved true with a grounding! Listen to the advice in this handy pilot.

5.0 out of 5 stars East coast pilot, 21 July 2013
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
Just bought a boat & find this very useful when negotiating different ports only downfall it doesn't always give anchor spots on charts although are mentioned in the writng

4.0 out of 5 stars east coast pilot, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
this book is very good and worth it weight in gold. its easy to follow with good photos and drawings. i look foreward to using it this summer the book will be better than the weather lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 'East Coast Pilot', 24 May 2007
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
I bought one of these at the end of last year, having gone out to look for a replacement for my old `East Coast Rivers'. Comparing the two on the shelf, I quickly decided there was `no contest', the `latest' edition of the `Rivers' book being evidently much more out of date. I'd also read a very favourable review on the Cruising Asssociation website which had raised my interest.

My decision has been proved absolutely right as I have read `East Coast Pilot' from cover to cover during the winter and now started using it in its natural element, on board our boat on the creeks and rivers.

An additional attraction was to see Colin Jarman listed as one of the authors, he's a writer whose work I have long admired. There are two other authors involved too, and it seems they have performed quite a conjuring trick - I couldn't see any different writing styles at all. What's more it really comes across that the book is written almost lovingly by people who really know each of their areas - it's really written by `locals' I suppose.

The writing is concise and easy to understand, it's presented in logical order for entering each destination, the chartlets are up to Imray's usual standards and the photos are excellent and very helpful in many cases.

Another reviewer criticised the book for lack of information about pubs, restaurants etc but the authors did say it's not a `restaurant guide' in their introduction, although for many places they do list possible pubs etc. Personally I'm delighted with the book and would rather go exploring watering-holes myself - I expect that much of that kind of information would quickly get out of date anyway.

The old `East Coast Rivers' was sometimes called a `yachtsmans bible'. Not any more. I think that `East Coast Pilot' is far far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting better all the time., 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: East Coast Pilot (Paperback)
If you sail the stretch of the east coast covered by this pilot then it is essential reading. It is clear, precise and invaluable. There is also an excellent website which posts updates between editions with new chartlets etc which you can print off at home at glue over the previous version, how cool is that? You can also contact the authors directly with queries or news of local changes. My latest copy is the third edition as I missed out on the second edition when it was published and when you see the differences between first and third it is obvious why they have to bring out new versions

East Coast Pilot
East Coast Pilot by Dick Holness (Paperback - 15 April 2011)
22.50