Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2014
Have you got an understanding of the basics of Paediatrics, knowing something about each of the main conditions that you'll encounter?

As a student we are often at this point and then think, where to next from here? We are expected both in our exams and on the wards when presented with for example Polyuria to work out what are the most likely differentials in an infant or child yet often haven't received much teaching on synthesising from the different conditions we've learned what would be more likely to be the cause in each of these age groups. That is where I as a student reviewer having read many titles feel that the paediatric symptom sorter comes in useful, it takes symptoms such as Polyuria, gives you a brief definition/description of it, a differentials list for infants & children starting with common causes. It then goes on to help you be able to differentiate between the most likely causes based on symptoms & signs before suggesting & explaining the relevant investigations you could do. Each symptom covered concludes with a summary of potential management and a list of any red flags you need to know. I didn't get this title till after my finals but certainly feel it would have been useful in revising for the paediatrics component.

The main disadvantages that I would say are apparent to me in this text are firstly it's structure and secondly it's lack of images of conditions, even dermatological ones. The problem with the structure is that it is not following a system structure and as such you have a chapter on the chest that in a few pages goes from wheezy child to palpitations to gynaecomastia/nipple discharge, something I've certainly not seen in another book prior to this. For some this may not be a disadvantage but I found it a challenge to navigate at times. The second disadvantage I mention is the lack of images, I found this especially the case when covering dermatological conditions as you can't fully visualise these without an image to help.

In summary I feel that this book is useful for a medical student to use in their paediatric rotation and revision but you must be aware other titles are available. If you're looking to learn the conditions and have a title also covering the differentials for presentations then you may wish to consider Paediatrics and Child Health by Rudolf from Wiley or Illustrated Paediatrics from Elsevier.

Competing Interests - Medical Student Reviewer - Received gratis copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for a review
on 17 April 2014
The Paediatric book, is based on the excellent 'Symptom sorter' book (4th edition) for adults, which is excellent for GPs such as myself. The Paediatric version is excellent for GP too, and I expect useful for A and E and other hospital doctors.
on 1 May 2013
The adult Symptom Sorter is the perfect book for students in GP. This takes the same approach - each presentation divided by aetiology, followed by discriminating investigations and management of the common causes - but is catered towards things that go wrong with kids. Ideal for a paeds attachment (or GP, in fact)