on 12 February 2008
I found this book extremely helpful and essential reading for any medical student who intends to sit osce exams. I dont believe i could have passed my finals without it (with so little time left i may add!!). it is pitched at the right level for students with easily rememberal mneuonics and systematic approaches to difficult stations. the mark schemes are also quite useful and are nearly identical to the exams! It also makes it easy to practice with others. make sure u get this book well before the exams though as its quite large as it covers nearly every scanerio in the finals!!
on 13 May 2009
I got this book for the Final year OSCEs as I had seen most of the previous years students using it. I have had access to a number of the other famous texts, like the Burton and Dorman books, but felt that they were lacking in detail and missed out important OSCE stations that I would be expected to face in the Finals.

The first thing that strikes you is its size and the amount of information crammed into the 400 + pages. I was shocked to realise how much information we would have to cover for our finals. But was extremely relieved that this book covered over at least 95% of my course.

It is well laid out with clear information based around an OSCE styled mark sheet. Each step is explained and advise is given about what to do or what to say as relevant. It has extremely helpful tips and hints about what conditions come up in exams as well as useful scores to self-assess or to check one another how you are doing. Whilst it is true the mark schemes may not reflect all universities, I found them to be a useful aid in checking that I covered everything and when practicing with friends. It also has nice end of scenario summaries which gives you a real feel how to present to the examiner or more importantly in real life once you have taken a thorough history.

It has good and comprehensive information about common conditions that may come up in the exam and helps you prepare for any awkward questions the examiners may ask of you.

This book is a cut above the rest due to innovative style and the sheer amount of information it contains. You really may only need this book to pass your finals. I have found this very helpful for my finals and it made me feel very confident when approaching the OSCE circuit. The only drawback I felt was that I should have purchased this book at the beginning of the year as I would most probably have passed with flying colours if i digested everything in here!

All in all this is a very useful osce revision aid that i would recommend, however due to the shear volume and size and panic factor i'd give it 4.5, but amazon does not allow this.
on 7 January 2014
I bought this book for 5th year at med school because a friend had it and I thought it sounded useful. It was definitely a good investment and I wish I'd bought it earlier during med school. It is excellent for history taking by taking you through some of the common histories including chest pain, breathlessness and a psychiatric history. It also lists some of the differentials at the end of the history and common symptoms of these. The book also gives you a proforma on how to do examinations including the basic systems, but also hip and knee etc, but it tells you useful facts within these and explains heart murmurs and different aspects of the examinations, along with special tests. I learnt facts I never knew before. There are also a procedures section, and a communications section ie explaining drugs for post M.I.
I also bought the similar book for specialties which repeats some of what is in this book, although also goes through alot of repro histories and communication stations, some were useful i.e explaining the MMR vaccine and some of the O and G procedures, but I would say this 1st book is by all means the best. I still go back to it now I'm an F1, and it definitely got me through finals.
on 11 April 2016
I'm a final year medical student in the UK and I would recommend this as a MUST buy. Everyone gets it because it provides an excellent summary to each OSCE station.

Strengths
- Well laid out and absolutely perfect for the earlier years of medical school
- Very helpful mnemonics and memory aids
- Systematic approach to the OSCE

Weaknesses
- Occasionally a station is outdated (which is to be expected) such as management of blood pressure or other clinical information
- Not as helpful once you hit clinical years as it isn't sufficiently detailed. For that I recommend Macleod's Clinical Examination

If this review was useful please click "Yes" below. If not, please comment below and tell me how I could improve it!
on 8 August 2009
This book is great when you're revising for exams, up to final year level. It is particularly good in detailing examinations, with special tests and common problems clearly explained with diagrams. The Psychiatry history-taking section is notably good. Generally, the marksheet format is very helpful in deciding what you need to cover, and makes the book very easy to follow.
on 19 August 2013
This title is ideal for any student in their final year of medical school who is looking for a title that will help them to prepare for the OSCE. The contents of this title does not allow this to be your only book for the OSCE if you want to be prepared for; medicine, surgery & specialties then you may well need one or more of the other books in this series.

That said, this book has a clear layout that a student can easily follow with useful mark-schemes for each type of history and station covered. Most unusual about this title is that in addition to the general medicine & surgery histories/examinations it covers Psychiatry something that you would expect to find in the `specialties' title in this series.

The disadvantage of this title is that there aren't any videos available online that you can watch to see these histories/examinations being performed. In addition it would have been useful to have had some information on common mistakes/omissions made at these stations in the OSCE setting. Despite this the differentials list after relevant stations is useful & the mark schemes are easy to follow.

In conclusion if as a medical student you have some money to spare for purchasing books to help you with your finals examinations or even OSCEs in years before this then strongly consider this title. Maybe even check your university library as some do have it in stock but if not then consider purchasing this useful title for your bookshelf.

Competing Interests - Student Reviewer - Received gratis copy of this title at the time of review (returned later)
on 26 August 2011
This book is essentially a group of markschemes on everything from a cardio exam to advising a diabetic patient. I'm a student at Imperial College London and found this book very useful in 3rd year. Now that I'm in 5th year, the Psych section is very useful and I'm looking to buy the clinical specialities book to compliment the other specialities.

BUY THIS BOOK- YOU WON'T REGRET IT!
on 10 May 2009
This book covers a large number of OSCE stations and contains some extra teaching points which one would not necessarily expect from an OSCE book. There are also thumbnail sketches of the most common differential diagnoses and written out examples of case summaries. As a result the book is perhaps bulkier than I would have liked. Compared to some of the other books out there the information is often not so easy to pick out and memorise. At first glance the marking schemes seem like a great idea, but they can disengenuous, as they may differ quite considerably from one medical school to another. All in all, however, this book should be an invaluable aid to anyone preparing for the dreaded OSCEs.
on 8 December 2012
I bought this book in my third year and have used it throughout my clinical years.
This book has examinations, history taking, skills and counselling stations. It covers pretty much everything one needs to OSCEs. Using it in the earlier years really helped and you just keep building on prior knowledge.
It is very well laid out and the order in which it explain examinations etc is the way you would carry them out. There are examination findings at the end of each examination which are really helpful and often act as the questions in OSCEs. For example findings in aortic stenosis or reasoning behind an antalgic gait.
A must have.
on 10 July 2014
Great reference for many of the main osce stations. Gives the top differentials with a paragraph of discussion for each after the checklist. Easy to formulate your own "histories" to test each other with the information given. Certainly perfect for third year.