Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2012
As the first of the Charlie and Lola books, 'I will not ever never eat a tomato' has to be one of the most read childrens books in our house. My son loved the pictures, colours and sound of the story before he could talk. His response to the story was always so positive - we found ourselves reading it most evenings. However, once he could specifically ask for it, this became every evening without fail, for some time!

Any parent will tell you this is not uncommon - children lock into books and love repetition - the big '5 star' difference here is that I enjoyed reading it every night too! As my son developed his speech and understanding, they way we read the story developed too. He now 'reads' (like Lola - from memory) along with me - regularly shouting out his favourite parts about not eating tomatoes!

Similarly, the benefits have not been just his involvement with books. The story revolves around Charlie having to feed his little sister, a very fussy eater, her dinner. Lola doesn't like anything - particularly peas, fishfingers, potatoes, carrots and of course tomatoes - so Charlie must find ingenious ways to convince his sister to try the different foods. For instance, peas become 'green drops from Greenland' and are 'incredibly rare' peaking Lola's interest in the food.

This has worked an absolute treat with feeding time for my son too - he wants to try all the food Lola eats!

This book actually and easily promotes a healthy diet and a healthy mind, with beautiful, creative and very colourful artwork!

Can't recommend it enough!
on 1 October 2009
Charlie is minding Lola, and Lola doesn't want to eat peas, carrots, sausages and all other normal food. . Charlie goes to great trouble to explain to Lola that peas are not really peas they are green drops from Jupiter, the carrots are orange twiglets from somewhere in space and so it goes until Lola really has tried everything except the tomatoes. But Lola no longer believes they are tomatoes - they are moon squirters.
Wonderful little story , you have to love Charlie's patience with his little sister.
on 20 November 2011
I have both cursed and loved this book (and the DVD version) as my three year old twins were so very enamoured with the "I will never ever eat a tomato" that they started saying it at every meal for every kind of food!! Actually, we saw the DVD version first and so I bought the book to enable me to focus more on the actual eating of the food than the not-eating - I think Charlie's clever tricks at getting Lola to eat were lost on them with the DVD, but I think they are now getting there - perhaps leave this one until your kids are slightly older than three! Even so, a fabulous story that captures attention
on 20 May 2011
My 3 year old was never a fan of the Chralie and Lola cartoons, however he absolutely loves this book and when I get tired to read it he actually "reads" it to himself. It is very cute, as the whole "Charlie and Lola" concept.

I read the 1 star review and I don't see what's wrong with a whole page being taken by the picture of a plate of peas or fish fingers: IT'S CHILDREN'S BOOK not the yellow pages. I actually think it has just the right amount of text.
on 27 March 2013
My daughter bought one of these books recently using her world book day token towards the cost of it. Which at full price £6.99 I think is expensive for a paperback book. She was eager to get some more in the same series, so set about looking for a deal. Amazon was the most competitive that I found.
My daughter is happy with the book, I have not yet gone mad reading it over and over.
Lauren Child writes in a very amusing way.
on 22 October 2014
My little boy absolutely adores this book and fopr months had to read the book to him at bedtime continously (be warned!!!). Aids in conversation when we are eating (he is a fussy eater), he tries bits of food from the book at least.
on 5 November 2011
Like all Charlie and Lola books this is good fun. Our 2 year old grandaughter loves food and finds this book funny. She loves saying "cloud fluff from the pointiest tip of Mount Fuji". To you and me that's mashed potato.
on 18 February 2009
I bought this a few years back for my daughter who is now 6. She still adores it and her little sister who is now 3 also loves it. IT is sooooo well read we may need to get another copy. V funny and great to read.
on 22 April 2013
Fantastic book, I used it as part of a topic at school. Great for inspiring creative writing about food, particularly fruits and vegetables. Highly recommend. Would be great to share with younger readers.
on 14 April 2014
I have purchased this book several times and it never fails to be a winner. It's a guaranteed hit. It makes everyone smile and takes the heat off fussy eaters for a while.