5.0 out of 5 stars You could hear a pin drop...
...apparantly, when this story was read out in nursery. My 4 year old took this book in to nursery, and the ladies had to read it 3 times in the one day due to the requests from the children - they've never had such a response to a book!
Published on 19 Jun 2002 by Raistllynn

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring
I was a bit disappointed with this book. My granddaughter wasn't that enamoured either.
The text wasn't very clear either
Published 3 months ago by joanna edwards

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You could hear a pin drop..., 19 Jun 2002
Charlie has this little sister, Lola - and it's not easy getting her to bed as she says that she'll "probably still be perky at 13 o'clock". She comes up with more and more bizarre reasons why she can't get ready for bed. How does Charlie get round them all?
This book has quirky illustrations (a mix of drawings and photographs of patterns) which really tickled my 4 year old's imagination. It has a super title, which has become a catch phrase in our house now, and it become one of the most requested bedtime stories. She now reads it to us (even though she can't yet read, but the story lends itself to memorising which means that she feels more grown up).

I'm now going to have to buy the other book by Lauren Child featuring Charlie and Lola as the expressions on their little faces are so true to small children.
I can't praise this book highly enough. Well done Lauren - keep the Charlie and Lola books coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Charlie and Lola please!, 2 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This book has the same characters as "I will not eat a tomato..." and is just as vibrant, fresh and funny as the first book with Charlie and Lola. Poor Charlie now has to get the reluctant Lola to go to bed and we follow the routine most children know so well - bath, cleaning teeth, etc. However, as Lola doesn't get sleepy, even at 13 o'clock, you can imagine that Charlie has a very difficult time! My son adores Lauren Child and he loves her Charlie and Lola stories best - more please! They are fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, 4 May 2007
struts (Stockholm, Sweden) - See all my reviews
Much has already been said about this lovely book so there is no need to re-cover the same ground. Lauren Child has a seemingly effortless ability to slip into a child's mind and create a storyline of fantasy-logic that makes perfect sense to the target audience. Moreover, the first-person narration from a child's perspective coupled with the absence of adults from the plot (reminiscent of "Peanuts") seem to keep proceedings sealed in a children's world and ensure that grown-ups never intrude and spoil the fun.

In my opinion the first three stories ("I Will Not Ever Never Eat a Tomato", this one and "I Am Too Absolutely Small For School") are the ones to buy as books; the later books work well on DVD but their origins as scripts for the TV episodes (not written by Lauren Child!) become all too apparent, becoming tedious and repetitive in book form.

5.0 out of 5 stars This struck a chord!, 12 Feb 2007
K. R. Owens "Avid reader" (Shrewsbury, England) - See all my reviews
My six year old daughter absolutely loves Charlie and Lola and cannot wait to open any new books I can lay my hands on. Her enthusiasm for the subjects within the books encourages her to read and she is now even reading backwards (a major feat considering her dyslexia). I think this story will strike a chord with any other parents with reluctant bed-timers. The Charlie and Lola stories are also extremely humorous on a child and adult-level. Keep writing Lauren, please!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Class 1, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Charlie and Lola: I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go to Bed (Paperback)
I like it because the tiger drinks the pink milk.

I liked it when the hippopotomus slept inside Charlie's bed. That was at the end of the story.

We liked it when the lion crunched the toothbrush.

The characters are:
Charlie and Lola, a lion, a whale, a hippo, 2 dancing dogs.

The animals are only pretend.

From, Class 1 at Mowlem Primary School.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Classics, 3 April 2007
Mrs. A. Knight (Lincs. UK) - See all my reviews
Charlie & Lola are a wonderful loving pair and a great example of sibling behavoir! Charlie has to take care of his sister sometimes and putting her to bed can be difficult. Luckily, Charlie has an imagination to rival Lola's and this is a very funny story about real life.

I love the drawings that accompany the books and the stories are loved by my 7 year old son and 17 month old daughter. My daughter can only say about 20 or so words but one of them is 'Lola'!!

A book to be read time and time again. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This excellent book made my 2.5 year old laugh so much., 30 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I think this book is excellent for any child between 2-6. My 2.5 year old daughter wanted to read it over and over again. Lauren Child used great imagination to make this an interesting and humorous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I will probably still be perky at even 13 o'clock in the morning.", 3 Jun 2012
Nicola Hardy (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Unlike her mother, my two-year-old daughter enjoys her bedtime, so I wasn't sure whether reading this book would be a good thing or not. However, she loves Charlie and Lola, and so read it we did.

Poor old Charlie has been given the job of trying to get Lola off to bed, but Lola loves to stay up late, so Charlie has his work cut out. He has to make bedtime drinks for three tigers, watch a lion gobble his toothbrush, shoo a whale down the plughole and telephone two dancing dogs to make sure that Lola can borrow their pyjamas. His patience is rewarded, however, as finally Lola settles down to sleep!

As well as writing a entertaining story for toddlers, Lauren Child has woven the words into some fun illustrations that bring the tale to life. My daughter loves having this story read to her, and I enjoy hearing my husband trying to emulate Lola's voice, with all its childish insistence and mispronunciations. This really is fun for all the family!

This review refers to the paperback edition of 'I am NOT sleepy and I WILL NOT go to bed' published by Orchard Books in 2007.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Milk and all that, 1 Nov 2002
By A Customer
Don't ask me why, but our 3 year old daughter absolutely loves this book! We read different books but keep coming back to "I am not sleepy" as the favourite bedtime read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 28 May 2014
We love Charlie and Lola, they are an awesome pair and the stories are always great. My girls 2 and 4y old love these books

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Charlie and Lola: I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go to Bed
Charlie and Lola: I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go to Bed by Lauren Child (Paperback - 18 Oct 2007)
3.86