5.0 out of 5 stars A great example for our daughters, 21 Oct. 2011
Caroline for [...]

I bought this recently for my daughter's 4th birthday on recommendation from a local children's book seller and it is already a firm favourite.

The first thing I noticed was the stunning, whimsical illustrations. I particularly love the amazingly detailed silhouettes (we have found something new to look at with each exploration) and the wonderfully expressive animal images throughout the book.

Having chosen this one for its gorgeous illustration, I was immensely pleased to discover the charming, witty and modern fairytale within.

While the princess is beautiful, if a little bedraggled, her true beauty shines through in her personality. No ordinary, down trodden fairytale princess in need of rescue here. Our Princess is self confident, independent and pragmatic. Rather than being swept off her feet by a handsome prince after a single night of dancing, SHE rescues HIM.

While we are in no doubt of Princesses feelings for her Prince, a man who makes her laugh and supports her unconditionally, she is not defined by their relationship. At one point during the story it looks as though things won't work out and while the princess expresses sadness, she picks herself up and prepares to get on with her life.

There is no happily ever after assumed here, just the promise of a beautiful shared future based on mutual understanding and goals. A much healthier and realistic role model for our daughters!

Verdict: An exquisitely illustrated modern fairytale.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Humour for a change, 9 Dec. 2009
Ursula Jones well deserved her Roald Dahl award for children's humour this year - being one of the first recipients! You do not need wealth for a "happy ever after" story - your children will love it. I know my 4 year old great niece does!

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite book, 23 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Princess Who Had No Kingdom (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book - in every way. It's a very worthy tale, but told in a magical, witty language, with amazing illustrations. My 4 year old loves it, and I can see that she will find different things to love about it as she grows - superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Princess Who Had No Kingdom (Paperback)
The story is charming, uplifting and quirky and the illustrations are absolutely magical - beautiful silhouettes mixed with cheerful colours and such expressive characters. The detail is extra-ordinary and the overall combination of words and pictures is simply perfect. My 3yr old daughter loves it - although I think I probably love it even more than she does! It is a treasure of a book and "money well spent" doesn't begin to do it justice - buy it now!!!
(I have just realised that this sounds like a poorly-concealed advert from the author/ publisher - it isn't! I have no vested interest except that I enjoyed it so much I want everyone to have a copy!)

5.0 out of 5 stars hardback copy needed!, 25 April 2012
beautiful, beautiful new fairytale acompanied by exquisite silhouette illustrations on a full colour background. if you liked A Necklace of Raindrops and The Kingdom Under The Sea you will adore this. I have the paperback but I really want the hardcover version as a keepsake. So publishers, please reissue!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Twist, 29 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Princess Who Had No Kingdom (Paperback)
Bought this for my princess mad 4 year old daughter. Illustrations are lovely and quite folksy. Story has a lovely moral twist without destroying the girl meets boy storyline so beloved of princess mad little girls. Have since bought this book for other little girls and it has always been well received. My daughter still wants it read to her a year on and my 7 year old daughter also loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Special, Beautiful Book!, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Princess Who Had No Kingdom (Paperback)
Bought for my 5 and 3 year olds...gorgeous, quirky story; beautiful illustrations and an ending that makes you sigh contentedly. A much more positive and strong female character than most, whilst remaining wistful and romantic. Stunning book, the children love it. HIghly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Princess Who Had No Kingdom (Paperback)
Interesting story with stunning illustrations.

I actually bought this for the artwork but it goes down great with little girls too.They love exploring the drawings, there are some words for them to learn if they are very young and it is a nice book to read with them.

The Princess Who Had No Kingdom
The Princess Who Had No Kingdom by Ursula Jones (Paperback - 2 Sept. 2010)