Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 October 2006
I actually bought this book for Christmas for my 8 year old daughter, unfortunately I didn't do a very good job in hiding it and she found it within a day. She's already read several of the other Clarice Bean stories, and I didn't have the heart to keep it until Christmas, so let her have it early. To cut a long story short, I picked it up this morning to have a quick flick through and ended up reading the whole book. It's a beautifully made hardbacked book, with quirky illustrations throughout, the storyline is great fun and in several places it really gives you a good belly-laugh!! It would have made a lovely Christmas present, but to be honest it's been a "utterly" enjoyable way to spend a lazy wet Sunday.
on 11 December 2006
Good things about the book

I am a fan of Lauren Child's books I think she writes really well, this is in my opinion her best Clarice Bean Novel. This book is so catchy infact when i started to read it I couldn't put it down! It's enjoyable for all ages and if you have read any other Lauren Child's books this is a must. The style is probably the best asset to the book it's very conversational. The layout of the book is also brilliant she sets out the text into the pictures eg. If she was talking about toast there would be a picture of a toaster with the words inside the toaster!!

A brief blurb of the book

Clarice Bean is a girl with 3 siblings a younger brother called Minal Cricket he is always annoying her, an older brother Kurt who works at a shop called eggplant and an older sister called Marcie who is always on the phone. Clarice goes to school and has a best friend called Betty Moody and and arch enemy called Grace Grapello and her teacher Mrs Wilberton is also not nice. Suddenly Betty Moody moves to San fransisco and a new girl joins the school Clarice doesn't like her but how long will it last?
on 15 March 2007
I like to read to my kids (6 and 8) and try to choose books which we can all enjoy together. Lauren child is a particular favourite. If you're new to Clarice Bean, start with "Utterly Me", the first novel.
The story continues where "Spells Trouble" leaves off and sees Clarice developing into something of a worrier. There's plenty of drama, twists and a satisfying resolution - all written in CB's inimitable narrative style. My children roared with laughter and in places it's actually moving too (the part where Clarice finally opens Clem's party invitation is beautifully done). If you're reading aloud be prepared to do voices, accents and read Polish & Swedish. I hope LC is working on the next one!
on 17 April 2007
I bought this book for my 8 year old daughter as we have also enjoyed the previous two Clarice Bean books. We both thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish and it is my favourite one so far. Lauren Child has a way of writing which captures a child and an adult (in fact I had to read the whole story myself to find out what happened because I couldn't wait). I would highly recommend this book as would Sally aged 8.
on 29 September 2013
My daughter is a fan of any books by Lauren Child and I was pleased to find the Clarice Bean books. They are very funny( I can hear my daughter laugh out loud as she reads them). They are a great step up if you have enjoyed the Charlie & Lola books and are ready for something a little older.
on 14 April 2009
It is a brilliant fantastic ace book, it is 1 of my favourite books. It has funny bits in, and i like how she writes her worries down like the book is a note pad. I can't believe the mischief that her older sister gets up to. Even though it hasn't got many pictures you can't put the book down!!!!! You have to read it right now!!!!!!!!!!!
by Isabel Wakeland
on 18 January 2013
Fantastic!
Have you ever Bean so excited about a book? It is the best book I have read! It is so realistic and it captures the real emotions of Clarice Bean - a ten year old girl that is flustered by all that is going on in the big wide world. As disasters strike she finds it hard to keep her spirits high; and loosing friendships can be traumatising.

Her utterly best friend Betty Moody moves away and her family life goes downhill from there. In addition a new girl, Clem Hanson, has taken her place and Clarice wants Clem gone more than anything; but little did she know Clem also feels unsettled.

I liked this book so much because it is modern, life-like (and goes into Clarice's mind with all her worries and feelings); some of which may be yours and she shows you that you can do too.
When I finished this book I felt sad inside, not a bad feeling, I just felt like the characters where real. It was something I had never had before. It makes you want to read it again and again.

There are a series of Clarice Bean books but this is my favourite one. That means you can read on and on. Some of the books are picture books and some not but in both they have the unique touch Lauren Child gives to all her books; one of which is her amazing layout; she makes the words in swirly writing or change the font for effect.

This is why I would thoroughly recommend Lauren's book for children from seven to ten but I would say adults and children of all ages will enjoy it as well.
on 19 April 2010
We're big fans of Charlie and Lola, but the kids are getting older and when I saw this audio book at the library I thought I'd give it a try. 2 x 9 year old boys and a 5 year old girl totally loved it (as did I). It's really well read and the characters and plot are great. Kept everyone happy on a car journey. Have ordered another title and will probably buy the missing one from Amazon.
on 29 December 2013
I've been a fan for years and have come to the conclusion that Lauren Child might be an angel. She's gifted in an other-worldly way. milkmonitor.com is a wonder and a goldmine - explore - Lauren's Liberty fabrics are just... heavenly.

I rate books 5 stars because if I don't really love them, I don't stick with them. So, here's another 5 stars...

The cover of Clarice Bean on the shelf of a bookstore in Ilkley, spoke to me. I just had to buy it. I was pretty confident it would be a good experience. "Charlie and Lola" is my favourite animated children's show on TV and I've read countless Charlie and Lola stories to Jack and Fin. I bought them a set of Charlie and Lola DVDs, mainly so I could watch them (though I didn't tell them that) [All 5* stuff, by the way.]

But Clarice - well - what a discovery! She's fabulous and full to the brim of good ideas and quirkiness. And if a girl like Clarice is a fan of Ruby Redfort, well, she can't go wrong. I've got the Ruby Redfort EMERGENCY SURVIVAL GUIDE for some TRICKY PREDICAMENTS, as well. Glad I have. You just never know...

Read Clarice Bean. You'll love her. Read Ruby Redfort - she's fab too.
on 12 January 2011
My daughter absolutely and utterly loves all Clarice Bean books.
These books are very moral and they are based on today's child's world (home, school, outside school and home).
Children can relate strongly to these books. They can learn anything from how to deal with certain feelings to how to decide and manage in certain situations.
I do recommend them.