5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly lovely picture book, 13 Nov 2006
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Saw this on the shelf in the bookshop with its bright and cheerful cover, and couldn't leave it behind. It's a smashing story, with the great combination of Andreae's rhyming text and Parker-Rees bright fun illustrations and all three of my children (aged 2-6) were taken with it immediately. At the beginning, chimpanzees trudge through a grey town and then a cheerful chimp, Chutney, arrives with his brightly coloured umbrella and plants a seed which grows bigger and more colourful with love and care. Although the mayor is against it, led by Chutney, the town also blossoms into a more beautiful fun-filled place. My children particularly love the page showing the new children's playground with the banana roundabout and the watermelon bouncy mat, and the following picture of a chimpanzee street carnival. This is a great book, beautiful to look at, a lovely story and an underlying message for the parent who reads it about allowing your little chimpanzee the freedom to blossom. Giraffes Can't Dance by the same talented pair was an absolute classic and I think this one pretty much matches up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly lovely picture book, 16 Mar 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 10 Oct 2010
L. Jackson (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an absolutely wonderful story of optimism and positivity. It is all in rhyme which the kids adore. It is very humourous and the illustrations are great. There is so much detail in them and you notice something different every time. My children, literally want to live in the story, they love the rocket ship and banana slide especially. My daughter (5yrs) knows the words by heart and my son (3yrs) is learning them. We bought it as we had borrowed it from the library repeatedly. I would recommend this for children from the age of 2yrs upward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 27 Mar 2009
T. Trousdale (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chimpanzees of Happy Town (Paperback)
This book has a beautiful message and great colouful pictures. My 2 year old loves it

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read for kids and parents, 30 July 2007
R. Mann (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chimpanzees of Happy Town (Paperback)
My 3 1/2 year old loves this book so much. And even after many many repeated reads, I enjoy reading it with him. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous and full of many things to discover and explore. The story is funny and uplifting, and the rhymes are pleasing rather than painful. After countless reads, I am still noticing new things in the pictures. I recommend this book heartily to all parents of 3-4 year olds. We have several books by the same author and this one is the clear favourite (for us both).

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, 7 April 2014
a lovely colourful book which is inspiring to young children, my 3 year old loves it and so do i!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favourite books, 26 Feb 2014
This is a real favourite, a lovely story with good meaning and a nice happy cheery tale. Illustrations are really fantastic too. I enjoy it almost as much as my son!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 5 Oct 2013
I absolutely love this book which I bought to share with the pre-school aged children I work with. It really got them thinking about the importance of the environment as well as being a great story with lovely illustrations. Fans of Julia Donaldson should try this rhyming story. Definitely one of my (and the children's) favourites!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 31 May 2013
My grandson was delighted with this book as it was just what he wanted having read another book by same author

4.0 out of 5 stars Idealism in Children, 14 April 2013
A great story with a moral which should appeal to the idealism in young children which, with the guidance of parents, should prove an inspiration.

The Chimpanzees of Happy Town
The Chimpanzees of Happy Town by Giles Andreae (Paperback - 19 April 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01