• It

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 March 2014
This book is a rant of her personal style and what she wears. Pointless photographs. More like her journal of her fashion tastes.
on 2 October 2013
Even after my second read, I am still struggling to understating the point of this book. Highlight was probably the drawing of the onion midway through.
on 3 January 2015
I definitely would not buy this for the kindle like I did - it should not be available on an older kindle like mine as it was just awful! I couldn't really see the pictures. Beyond this I think this is just a terrrible book. I literally found no usefulness from it what so ever. There was no style advice or tips or even insight into Alexas life. An example of this relentless drivel was about 10 pages taken up purely on women she likes from films! I am sad as I love Alexas style and I also thought she seemed quite intelligent so her book might be at the very least interesting to a fashion fan like myself - but absolutely not! Really it just feels like she wanted to make some extra cash off her fashion credentials and spent an hour or two putting together some photos and making a few lists. if you love fashion just go and buy a copy of vogue or Grazia instead! Diehard Alexa fans only I feel!
on 29 September 2013
Dull. Boring. Awful. No purpose in this book what so ever. Pictures of random people (no idea who they are), her drawings look like they're drawn by a 2 year old & she's completely full of herself... No idea why!?
on 9 September 2013
Wow! What a mess and a huge mistake by me (and Alexa).
I expected so much more and was left with a feeling that Alexa Chung and her friends need a huge reality check.

I usually love books like this and was expecting something along the lines of 'Rookie Yearbook One' by Tavi Gevinson or 'The Goddess Guide' by Gisele Scanlon - one of my all time favourite books.

I'm 19 and when I heard Alexa was writing a book I thought that's my Christmas list sorted but unfortunately no. If it were even a tiny bit more like The Goddess Guide with drawings and photographs and personal stories I'd have given it another star but unfortunately I've found nothing to date as cool for art, photography and super smart writing.

Also I don't like the "It" title. What does "It" mean?

It seems that "It" is devoid of any reality....

John Crace's 'Digested Read' in The Guardian, reviewed 'It' and summed up exactly how I feel here after 1 hour of frustrated reading...

There's nothing to "It"

I still love Alexa on TV but I'm afraid from now on I'll give her books a miss.

Unfortunately on this occasion she comes across as sycophantic and rather uncool. There's very little to champion here : ( and it's also too expensive.

I hate being so negative but "It" is a huge disappointment. : (
33 comments|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Just awful.. and very expensive for the very slight volume that it is.

As others have said John Crace in the Guardian has summed it up perfectly in his digested reads...Oh and provides more entertainment to boot.
on 1 June 2015
As a fan of Alexa Chung, I was eager to read this and I wasn't disappointed. I didn't really know what to expect but what I got was cute drawings, random tips, and accounts of some of her life events. There isn't a great deal of writing (it only took me a few hours to read) but every time I still enjoy it. The book itself is stunning, I love the hardcover and the pages are of excellent quality. I don't understand the 1 star reviews, personally it's one of my favourite books ever. If you're looking for a makeup or fashion bible then you've come to the wrong place, but if you're looking for a funny insight into Alexa's life with handy tips along the way then this is the book for you.
on 17 December 2013
Erm, I didn't really expect much from her royal stickness and only purchased out of intrigue, however, really?

If it was not for the teens who aspire to be thin and an "icon/muse" like her, then I am certain no publisher would have entertained this.

Only plus side - looks pretty on a bookshelf.
on 11 November 2015
Personally I don't think this is worth the money. Maybe £1 in a charity shop but the price is crazy for the content. It took me about an hour to read and I sent it back straight away because I felt like I'd been robbed. It's like reading someone's diary, or a scrapbook with words- and has basically no content of any value. It's nicely presented and maybe if you're a die-hard Chung fan it might be worth it, I like Alexa Chung but not to the point where I'd pay £15 for a book of random thought by her that looks like it took a week to write. This is the kind of thing I'd make if I was really bored. There is a funny page about hair and crying into your Granola, which I've posted here. So really there is no need to buy it now. If this wasn't written by one of the most famous models of all time it would most likely have terrible reviews.
review image
on 9 December 2013
Celebrity books - I can understand why they're allowed to happen, they're now fact of life.

With a biography, a proper writer, or at least an editor, is involved somewhere along the line to introduce a bit of quality control and you'll get some fairly decent photos thrown in.

And then there's this book. I read this in an hour. It is beyond dreadful. If you're looking for any insight into Chung's "style", you won't find it here. I've seen this book described as "musings"; if this was what was going on inside my head I would think twice about publishing it in a book. I think that it's fair to say that when she dies, if the manuscript for this book is donated to an archive they are going to receive a few Post-its all stuck together.

Hilariously, she writes about her love of canvas bags over "it" bags. Ironic when you consider that Mulberry named a very expensive handbag after her.

Although I hate to write the cliché, this is style over substance. Far more thought has gone into the book's layout than its contents. The photos are the standard blurry snapshots, with wishy-washy blown-out colours and everyone looking as if they need a good night's sleep and a hair wash. And don't get me started on the terrible cartoons.

I never thought I would say this, but if you want a better celebrity style book, I'd buy Victoria Beckham's...