5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Read
I am generally not really one to sit down and take a few minutes out of my day to review items I have purchased, however only being 3 chapters into the book I felt compelled to actually share my views.

Published 21 months ago by emmalouise

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I bought this in response to an article in the Sundat Times. Disappointed with the book compared to newspaper review. It's an interesting read from perspective of a cancer patient particularly one who spent a lot of time in hospital during his youth but not the inspirational book I expected it to be.
Published 19 months ago by Mrs. Jacqueline M. Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Read, 1 Nov 2012

I was slightly worried when purchasing this book that it may encompass the characteristic's of just another self help book however I have found Albert's journey which he tells in the book inspirational and the lessons which he has learn't practical to everyone's life. After loosing my dad very recently to cancer, I can bring myself to understand only a minute amount of what this man has been through, and for him to have this outlook on life is truly remarkable and admiral.

An amazing read so far, and great if you ever need reminding never to sweat the small stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining account of one man's approach to life, 31 Oct 2012
TheShopaholic (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Yellow World: Trust Your Dreams and They'll Come True (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, I would not call this a self help book by any stretch of the imagination so if that is what you are hoping for, don't buy it. What it is, is an entertaining comedic account of Espinosa's 10 year experience with his Cancer. The one thing it is, is upbeat and light. There is no wallowing in self pity or morose thoughts, even though he lost a leg and lung and part of his liver to Cancer (or as he would say, he exchanged them for his life) he keeps optimistic and positive throughout. It is heartwarming to read of the friends he made and lost to Cancer along the way but how each friend is remembered by the pearl of wisdom they imparted to Espinosa so that instead of grieving for his friends, he carries their inspiration with him.

I have survived Cancer and so I know that positivity throughout really does make a difference, too many people continue to live in fear of death after their diagnosis and that can just drag you down but the author's way of looking at life is inspirational and although it is not really an instructional book on how to.... the whole foundation of his approach is one that can be taken up by any of us going through a difficult time. Too many of us today see imperfection as a problem and Espinosa is trying to say, accept the negatives and the things they change, there is no right way there are just many facets which one can look at and see things in a different way. Losses should be embraced and then let go and then embrace the changes they bring not mourned. For each loss leaves a space for something else to enter your life, welcome it. And my piece of inspiration is as far as cancer is concerned, 'Cancer is not a battle but an endurance test - do not waste your strength trying to beat it when you need to save everything you have for the long haul. Do that and you will survive' and this is basically what Espinosa is doing.

One thing you will gain from this book is inspiration and a new way of looking at life and if you can get your chin off the ground long enough, you will see a way ahead that does not look so bad at all.

It was entertaining to read, I chuckled in places and it only took me just over an hour to read anyway as the print is so large in the hardback version, I was able to flip through the pages like Usain Bolt! Just take it for what it is, one man sharing his experiences and yes there are a few nuggets of inspiration in there too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to revisit, 11 April 2013
Bob's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hugely respect Albert, and his vision of 'The Yellow World' he presents to us in this book. It is a very different sort of read, sometimes philosophical, sometimes diary/memoir, sometimes advice, sometimes instructional; but never dull.

Albert takes us through his 23 discoveries which chart a positive approach to life ( and death ) following a long and obviously painful cancer battle. The book is easy to read, but I preferred to dip in and out and ponder a while before reading further. I'm glad I did, as I now often revisit certain parts for further appreciation whenever my life becomes a less than yellow place.

Recommended most highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a self-help book - but still surprisingly helpful, 24 Jan 2013
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Almost everyone, including the author has mentioned that this isn't a self-help book. However I did find it helpful in a variety ways. Even just from the very obvious of "My god what the heck have I got to feel sorry for myself about when you look what this guy has been through?" type thing. But more subtly, given that Espinosa is astonishingly sanguine about his own difficult experiences it did make me reconsider some of my own choices.
The 23 discoveries were interesting. During some of them it became very apparent that Spinoza is Spanish. Perhaps some of his comments are more surprising to an English audience - perhaps it's just me. I did find the 'sharing out the life' of his friends who had died section very moving.
I've lent it to two friends - one loved it and one hated - and not the way around that I guessed I would be. I actually think it's one of those books that you have to decide about for yourself - perhaps it has different messages for us all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 18 Dec 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Glib, 23 July 2014
D E Barker - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is with real regret that I find myself writing this review. When I ordered it through the Amazon Vine programme I was expecting to receive a deeply inspirational book which I could give to a friend currently fighting cancer. This book, however, is a set of rather glib suggestions concerning positive thinking. It was written by a man who suffered from cancer in his teenage years, and as such may well appeal to other male adolescent cancer sufferers. However, it would be a totally inappropriate book for any woman, and not only because it contains chapters on the importance of wanking and the like. The section on Yellow People becomes more and more daft as it continues. I'm sure we have all come across people who have changed the direction of our lives. To me these would be Yellow People. However the author insists that to become Yellow these people would have had to spend the night with us without having sex. What nonsense!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Piece of Calm in a Busy World, 26 Jan 2013
M. Davis (England) - See all my reviews
Allows the reader to reflect on life and the impact it has on you and you on it.

Allows for desrtessing of moments in your life that we all need

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 29 Nov 2012
This book was recommended to me, but I couldn't get into it, due the style of the writer. It was an interesting subject - a true story, but somehow wasn't my cup of tea.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Yellow World, 7 Nov 2012
Having waited eagerly for the English translation to be published since first reading an article about this book eight months ago, I read it in one sitting on the day it was published. I have a young friend (30yrs old) who has osteosarcoma and currently going through the second, extremely depleting, course of chemotherapy after a leg amputation. I was hoping this book would provide some informed help and strategies to cope as she battles with it now, as much as any hope and encouragement it might offer for the future.

Whilst I do not doubt the sincerity with which the book was written I am doubtful it will. I found it repetitive and not that well expressed; it left me feeling confused and disappointed.

Espinosa was fourteen when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, he spent the next ten years or so in and out of hospital, and has been cancer free for the past ten years or so. Most of his developing philosophy in that first decade, which is the focus of the whole book, expresses the different ways he found the strength to cope, at that age, with such dire circumstances. However, they are less relevant to anyone older living with cancer today. At best, it is a way of 'viewing' the world and valuing every moment we are granted - with or without cancer; more poignant perhaps because he was one of those who survived when many of the 'friends' he met in his ten years or so in and out of hospital did not. BUT - this included many who were aged and also many who had different types of cancer. Apart from mentioning the term: osteosarcoma, there is little specifically about this particular cancer or indeed, any other type.

In terms of style, expression and tone the entire book is written in such a way that I found it hard to accept that it was not a fifteen year old writing it - maybe this was his intention, and maybe the reader he is addressing is meant to be a juvenile one. However, using the knowledge and experience he has today as a surviving, mature adult, a retrospective written from this position, with some brief references to how he coped as a child, could have connected more effectively with those over and beyond their teen years, particularly as he is a survivor of one of the most life-threatening types of cancer.

His attitude to life, however, has to be respected and admired. He found a way of coping both during and after - but chose only to share a light-hearted view of it all with the reader. This, to some extent, undermines the struggle to overcome: finding the strength in those low times which lie at the heart of fighting this disease, sharing those moments as well as his revelatory ones with the reader.

I do feel this was an opportunity missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unforgettable Read, It Will Change Your World!, 26 Oct 2012
This is not your run of the mill self-help book, echoes of Mitch Albom, particularly Tuesdays with Morrie, can be heard throughout the pages. It also reminded me of Dave Pelzer in Helping Yourself. Albert Espinosa is an absolute inspiration and in no way writes with any concept of self-pity following his treatment for four different varieties of Cancer.

I enjoyed each of the 212 pages, especially the twenty-three discoveries. Although I devoured the first section of the book, the third section on Yellows confused me slightly and I fear it may be a slightly complicated notion for us to understand away from the noise of daily life. This is in no way a failing but a reason to read Espinosa's discoveries with an open mind, away from life's interruptions.

Whilst The Yellow World is written from the mind and world of a cancer sufferer, much of Espinosa's theme is relevant to everyone and already I have implemented a number of the discoveries into my own life. This book is not a book about surviving cancer but of surviving life itself.

The Yellow World made me feel like I could achieve anything and the fears I once had have not only evaporated but thanks to Espinosa, I now have coping mechanisms in place that will help quench future fears. It gave me hope that it is never too late to change my life, to find happiness and to keep happiness. This book is written for everyone, young and old; those with cancer, survivors of cancer, those without cancer. Every bookshelf or library should have at least one copy of The Yellow World. It was an absolute delight to read this book and it will be something you will want to dip into over and over again.

The Yellow World: Trust Your Dreams and They'll Come True
The Yellow World: Trust Your Dreams and They'll Come True by Albert Espinosa (Hardcover - 1 Nov 2012)
Used & New from: 0.01