5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun & Mildly Educational
I purchased this book along with Wreck this Journal on recommendation of my psychology student friend who suggested it for me as I do suffer with minor obsessive compulsive disorder in the sense that I need things to be organized and perfect.
Published 16 months ago by dmcnabb

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book
Good book
Published 5 months ago by Stephen Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun & Mildly Educational, 17 Feb. 2014
dmcnabb - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
This book is very similar to Wreck this Journal, as a matter of fact some of the pages are identical, the front of the book is more about general destruction, while the latter parts of the book are more about exploration of textures, materials, different paints, colours, techniques and also tells the user to reference people, places, things etc. There is a lot of general doodling, but usually with some sort of instruction - ie photo of landscape with instructions to draw a storm of some description. I am not looking forward to burying it for 3 days! I must say! I will probably do that when I am done with it.
I love that this book is a bit more educational to artistic techniques, people etc. The beginning of the book speaks about an interview with a Dutch Sailor summing up the work of Bas Jan Ader referencing a piece called "Broken Fall" which shows a man bouncing up and down swinging on a branch over a creek. The sailor references that "moment of transcendence when you leave everything behind and leap into the unknown". I feel this book encapsulates that statement very well. There is a lot of experimentation and tasks that do not have a particularly obvious outcome, and while not dangerous, the book challenges your views on what art or perfection is. I have done a few pages and in describing them verbally it sounds like I am destroying a perfectly good book, but actually when I look at pages there are little bits and pieces on some pages I love, some I hate. But the unknown has become known and I have referenced a lot of Ader's work, who i have become very intrigued with.
This book has become a permanent fixture with me along with Wreck this Journal. I find rather than pulling out a phone and going into my own little world on a bus, train etc this is a fun way to pass the time. Ive had several strangers ask me about the books and I've happily filled them in.
I would recommend this book to just about anyone. Some pages are fun to do with younger children. I feel it would be particularly good for an art student or fan. I haven't got to the pages yet, but I am looking forward to pages exploring textiles and texture. Its great fun, and I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
This is a fun and genius book. I bought for my daughter for Christmas and she had kicked it, thrown it up trees, splodged it and buried it, among many other things. She has so enjoyed it. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Misbehaviour!, 2 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
Ok i have only just started filling this book, the first page is scary as it takes a little while to get used to being allowed to create mess! On the second page i poured coffee on the book from a height which was surprisingly fun, once you get relax and get creative this becomes a good outlet for stress and just to feel a bit silly, i do feel like i am doing something naughty and silly when making so much mess, but its definitely a good thing! Good for anyone who likes breaking the rules! Only minor flaw is that i would prefer bigger pages for making mess as the book is quite small! But there are a lot of pages and so many different ways of making mess so its not too bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Busy daughter, 27 Feb. 2014
Minnie (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
My daughter loves this book. Has kept her entertained during flights on holiday. Fun. Pleased I bought it for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars really love this whole series of books, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
really love this whole series of books, works wonderfully in its own right but I use the ideas lots in projects with school / community groups and its such an inspiring set of springboards that can be further developed

5.0 out of 5 stars just utterly fun!, 28 Mar. 2012
Kera (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
I bought this from being in a creative slump and needed something to do. After looking at all of them I got this one and so far done two of the pages! It is very good for boredom when I'm home alone without the kids, or even getting them in on the action with sticky fingers.

One is cover the page in glue and the other dropping any coloured liquid from a rather fun height. Best do some outside though as it can get VERY messy. There are a lot of other activities to do as well.

I have already recommended it to my friends for when they're in a creative slump (and quite a few are!) And they've said they'll look into it. I want the other three now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for getting out of the routine, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
Bought it for someone as a gift, they're not the artsy type but these books are good just for letting go anyway and having some fun, adding little quirky tasks to your day. He loved the gift and we often go around together doing the tasks, it's a good laugh. Would reccomend.

5.0 out of 5 stars <3, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
Just completely fabulous I have issues making things that ihave purchased look like a mess but this book has pushed me into parts of my mind hat I didn't think that I would be able to access and go over!

5.0 out of 5 stars imaginative, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
fantastic for big and little kids . good for stretching the imagination beyond boundaries- one of the challenges was to bury the book in the garden - ours was there for 3 days !

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, and seems like the usual fun you would ..., 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes (Paperback)
Looks great, and seems like the usual fun you would expect from a Keri Smith book. This is a Christmas present, so I guess i'll receive a proper review in the New Year.

Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes
Mess: The Manual of Accidents and Mistakes by Keri Smith (Paperback - 4 Nov. 2010)