5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution based lifestyle and fitness model
I am a trainer who uses an evolutionary fitness model in both my personal lifestyle and in the education and straining of others.

This book sums up the various facets that affect fitness and wellness (movement, nutrition and lifestyle) and how they relate to our background as a species.
It highlights mismatches between our environment of evolutionary...
Published 7 months ago by Gareth Roriston

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit boring
There is much important and interesting information in this book but the writing felt so slow paced and remorseless that it took me months to finish. Perhaps a paper edition would be more satisfying than reading a kindle copy as you would be more aware of where you were in the book.
Published 14 hours ago by Zed

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution based lifestyle and fitness model, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health and Disease (Paperback)

It highlights mismatches between our environment of evolutionary adaptation and our modern post industrialised world distilling the information in an easily absorbable way.

There are great examples all along the way and a wide range of studies and resources are cited with a sizeable bibliography at the end for further reading.

This is a highly practical guide for anyone wanting to know anything real about what makes us human and how to look after ourselves.

Lieberman garners the readers trust by way of the fact that he himself is a peer reviewed and respected professor of anthropology with a wealth of experience in the field.

The only problem is it is so well researched that I feel I will become academically lazy and use this book as a single source for my evolution fitness based questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and educational read, 3 Feb 2014
I couldn't put this book down as I find this subject really interesting...understanding the human body through Evolution and learning about health and diet is something that anyone could benefit from . Well written, not full of big scientific words...I would recommend this book..

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive analysis of how evolution has made us what we are today, 4 Mar 2014
A very comprehensive analysis of how evolution has shaped human development and how this does not really match with modern lifestyles.
I found the level pitched about right, not too technical but assuming some general background knowledge. It provided some real insights into how some modern "diseases" are the consequence of our lifestyles changing much faster than evolution and how cultural evolution is replacing genetic evolution in some circumstances. Whilst not dwelling on possible "cures", it becomes very apparent that sensible modifications of lifestyle and diet might provide some benefits in quality of life as we age. He takes a common-sense approach, advocating achievable changes rather than revolutionary ones.
Daniel tries to give balanced views and references which help to show that this is not an exact science - there is still much uncertainty and much work to be done. Occasionally the lack of references in a section gives a clue that a particular view may be a personal one.
It was overlong with a lot of repetition, I got the feeling that the author was aiming for a target shelf width - otherwise I would have given it 5 stars.
It has certainly provided me with enough evidence to motivate myself to make some modifications to my lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and highly applicable to your own health and well being, 6 April 2014
This might be the most useful book I have ever read. As someone who needs to understand the reasoning behind health advice I found this book perfectly suited me. I am fascinated by evolution so really enjoyed it from this perspective but I also dramatically increased my understanding of health, fitness, disease, etc from an evolutionary angle in a way that I can practically apply to day to day life. I cannot recommend this book strongly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece the gives you evolutionary reason for being active and staying away from junk food, 6 May 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who has even the slightest interest in being healthy.

It explains the evolutionary basis of who we are today and why we get everything from diabetes, obesity to running injuries and how they are totally preventable by applying common sense and bit of knowledge that would come from simply reading the label on the food that we buy.

It explain in lucid detail why "low-fat" food make you fatter. I followed these principle for a year and lost over 10% of my body weight and my fitness level at a level I never thought imaginable. And all this in my middle-age!

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 13 Nov 2013
Very clear and concise read,ideal for the layperson who wants to grasp the essence of what makes the human body work as well as the stresses and disease with which it has to contend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great for me because there is a lot to learn ..., 4 Aug 2014
I've finished the first 2 chapters only, however I will say I have learned a lot, more than I thought I would. The author has a way of writing that will keep you engaged while reinforcing lessons though out each chapter without it sounding repetitive. This is great for me because there is a lot to learn and I don't want to be taking notes the whole time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book would definitively reccomend it, 2 May 2014
This is a very interesting book from a well-known researcher. The book is divided on several chapters and would definitively recommend it to non-expert audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening, 20 April 2014
I wish everyone could be made to read and understand this book. An understanding of how our bodies got to where they are, and how we're abusing them, would remove the excuse of ignorance for those who refuse to believe in the importance of diet and exercise...

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit boring, 31 Oct 2014

The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health and Disease
The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health and Disease by Daniel Lieberman (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)