Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 April 2005
My daughter go this for her 8th birthday and couldn't put it down. It's fantastic in every sense of the word. Enjoyed by children and parents alike. She then set about writing her own poetry in the same amusing style. Well worth every penny.
on 8 June 2009
I can't believe this only has one review!

I cannot praise this book highly enough. I ADORED this book as a child; along with "Where the Sidewalk Ends", which was the book all the cool kids had in my second-grade class.

Perhaps its popularity is an American thing, but I loved the poems, especially the very silly rhymes. I can still recite bits of them to this day. Mother Goose had been surpassed in my young mind.

Now I am buying copies of everything ("A Light in the Attic" "Where the Sidewalk Ends" "The Giving Tree" "The Missing Piece and the Big O" etc) to read to my daughter even though she is just a baby.
Ostensibly a book of verse and rhymes for children, I enjoyed this book as much as my children did. A little fat book filled with delicious rhymes that make us all laugh. Shel Silversteins other books have led to this one, we know what to hope for but not what to expect, actually. I purchased this book for my youngest granddaughter, and she thinks we are both pretty silly.

Shel Silverstein knows what kids line, he speaks on our level. This collection includes some amusing and downright silly rhymes. My favorite is the babysitter who thinks it is her job to sit in the babies. That one got big laughs from everyone. Children are very direct, and this silliness spoke to them. There are twists and turns that we might expect from a mystery, and Silverstein gives them to us in spades. Rocks ye Baby should not be rock g on at treetop, who ever thought that was smart. There are 170 pages of fun and silliness in this book. More than enough to keep your little ones occupied.

Recommended. prisrob 08-16-15
on 21 February 2013
The book was supposed to come with a cd but the cd was missing. I want the cd but I don't want the hassle of trying to get it without being able to just phone up someone and have them send it to me. What a nuisance shopping on line is if it goes wrong.
on 17 August 1997
Policeman, policeman, help me please! This book is tickling both my knees! And the rest of my skeletal system, as well! Read all about the baby-sitter, and the Lord's Prayer (in view of the kid with all the cool toys), and what to do if you don't wanna do the dishes, and why is it that there's nothing on interesting on TV???? This book is a must-read for all those who have a wild sense of humor. Speaking of which, I read this to a little girl about four years old. She loved the book so much she memorized passages, such as that Lord's Prayer one. Unfortunately, her father was a VERY strict Catholic and now every time I visit them with a book to read to her, I have to run it by them so that it would pass the "Light In the Attic" test! Apparently, that little Lord's Prayer poem and the Baby-Sitter poem didn't "sit" too well with them (sorry, inside joke). Policeman, policeman, help me please!
on 2 July 2013
Shell Silverstein is a pleasure to read both for adults and for children. I read this book to my three year old daughter who stares at the caricatures quizzically. I also read it to my newborn which I agree is taking things far but the black and white drawings appeal to newborns. The poetry is appealing and very imaginative just like a child's mind. I recommend this book .
on 22 June 2000
A dear friend bought this book for your 8 week old baby daughter, Lauren Eddette, as "you never grow out of books but she will clothes!" It has opened a door to a world of excellent prose which we had never entered before and my partner, Steve, and I never want to close and hopefully our daughter will want to "dash in and out" for the rest of her life. The poems are just what children (and adults) want to fire their imagination and get them hooked. My favourite is "Little Boy and the Old Man", but there are so many wonderful poems that it is hard to stop at one favourite! We only wished that this book had been on our own Curiculum when we were at School. On the strength of reading this book we have ordered 3 more books by the same author.
on 24 April 1997
This was a funny book. It was one of the best I have read if not the best. I love Here Comes, Never, Ations, and Fancy Dive. Those are some of my favorites. I really like all the poems though. Shel Silverstein is a great poet and writer. I love all of his books very much. I don't know if this is true, but people say he doesn't like children. I find this hard to believe because he writes all these books for them. Oh well, he is a great writer and excellent poet. As I said before, I love all of his poems in this book but my favorite is Ations.
on 24 June 1997
I picked "A Light in the Attic" off the poetry table, so I could read an impromptu poem at a poetry reading evening. We were at Barnes and Nobel, in Georgetown. Shel Silverstein is a favorite of my daughter. It was June 17. Others read their own poems and one by Gelbran. I chose "Summer" because it was short and topical. I read it with expression, especially the "Burrr" part. I got more applause than anyone else and had fun.
on 13 March 1997
A Light in the Attic is a great book of poems for kids. There are some GREAT poems, some pretty good poems, and some that made you think why you bought the book. Then you remember that most of the poems are great, just like Shel Silverstein. He has two great books , this and Where the Sidewalk Ends. It is a great book for kids and so are all the rest of them that he writes. I would recomend this book to anyone, even adults.