5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful memories
Published on 1 Feb 2004 by allieuk

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it to much
I don't think this book belongs in the 9-12 age group. I think it is for younger children, as other SIlverstein books are too. Some of the poems don't make any sence, and some aren't that great. I think 10+ dollars is to much money for this book.
Published on 9 Jan 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful memories, 1 Feb 2004
As an American living in England, trying to find admirers of Shel Silverstein is quite hard. Despite not knowing much about him, everyone should give Shel's first book a go. It is a wonderful collection of poems that are imaginative, full of humor and adorable pictures (drawn by Shel himself!). The poems you read (whether you are an adult or child) will become well-loved, maybe even memorized and (hopefully!) shared with many you know...get the word out--Shel Silverstein is a gifted poet who should be read by young and old alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, nonsensical poetry for ages 2-102, 11 May 1999
By A Customer
I was intrduced to "Where The Sidewalk Ends" by my second grade reading teacher in the fall of 1978. The author, Shel Silverstein, had an incredible gift. He could make kids fans of poetry! (One of those kids happened to be my 38 year-old father). From the moment I opened the book and recited "Sick" for the very first time, I fell in love with Mr. Silverstein's books.
My brilliant teacher had each member of the class perform a poem from "Where The Sidewalk Ends". He made lovers of poetry of us all, and an actress out of me. For years to come, I won numerous talent contests performing "Sick" for audiences of all ages.
I love each and every poem in this book. Everybody who loves to laugh MUST read "Ma and God", "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out", "The Dirtiest Man In the World", and "Sick", my all-time favorite.
"Where the Sidewalk Ends" and Shel Silverstein changed my life forever. It was today, May 10, 1999, that I read he had passed away. The world has lost an amazing contributer to children's literature. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and all of Mr. Silverstein's other books are the delightful legacy that he has left behind. I encourage children and parents alike to open this book and let the laughter in.
"For the Children, they mark,and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends."

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, Funny and Important, 23 Jun 1999
By A Customer
My only hope is that Shel Silverstein will one day be given his full credit as one of the most important poets of our (or any) time. To say that he was a mere 'childrens' poet wouldn't do the man credit. I won't go into his history, you can do that yourselves.
"Where the Sidewalk Ends" is a perfect example of poetry done right. Sometimes it rhymes, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. But, just like Dr. Suess' books, we go back long after our 'childhood' has ended. We want to relive our childhood. There aren't enough kind words in my vocabulary to recommend this (or any of his other books) highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Profound Silliness, 8 Oct 2002
Shel Silverstein had the ability to think like a kid. Only a few adult authors truly possess this skill. I remember when this book was first published, and my parents got a copy. They were reading it together and laughing, and I thought it wasn't fair, because he wrote it for me, an eleven year old, and why should old people like my parents find it funny?
Now, as a teacher, I use this book to introduce students to the joy of writing poetry, when usually they run in fear from the very idea. The topics are as wide as his imagination was wild, and while the humor is at a youthful level, it never crosses the line of unacceptable crudeness.
A handful of the epic poems in this book become a little tedious, but most of his best works, which appear in many English textbooks, are found in this volume. Not all the poems are silly. Throughout the book are poems that surprise the reader in their clarity, honesty, and thoughtfulness.
Throughout the book there is a sense of wonder at the world we live in, and a sly investigation into the silly behaviors we all exhibit, no matter what the age. And his hilarious line drawings, often integrated into the text, are the icing on the cake.
Of all the poetry collections Shel wrote, this is the first and the best, still fresh after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry for You, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends (Hardcover)
I am a careful buyer of books because my 8 year old daughter is a picky reader. She likes sophisticated text, humour and plenty of pictures, so I thought I'd try some poetry. Roald Dahl/Quentin Blake is an obvious choice, but I find Dahl a bit heartless at times.

So...I stumbled across Shel Silverstein. Coming from England I hadn't heard of him before, but the reviews of U.S. readers spoke volumes for the quality of the work, so I bought the book as a Christmas present.

Shel Silverstein insisted on his books being printed on quality paper and in hardback - as far as I'm aware there are no paperback versions. So as an item, the book is something to treasure.

My daughter and I have read the book together regularly since Christmas, and it has been a smash hit! We reread many of the poems as we go along, because they sound so enjoyable. The poetry is lively, comic, often thought provoking. With almost 200 pages we will be exploring for weeks to come, and this is the sort of book that we will revisit again and again.

I will certainly be buying more volumes of Shel Silverstein, and would recommend him to children and adults of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Angle, 24 Sep 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This Special Edition is a collection of 139 poems by Shel Silverstein, originally appeared in 1974 - some short, some long and most of them are accompanied by his own drawings, overflowing with humor and heart. When asked to pick a book from a list of 40 titles, both my kids (ages 6 & 8; girl & boy) requested to read WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and their enthusiasm attests to the warm truth that since his passing in 1999, his words, both unique and universal, still speak deeply to our kids. Shel makes children laugh. Can you imagine a Hippopotamus sandwich? In this book not only will you read one, you will see one, too! Shel makes children think - just about everything in the most daring original way. Shel sees the world through the goofy imaginative eyes of children and his invitation to take a walk to the edge of this silly wolrd is greeated with excitement by both kids and their grown-ups.

"And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends."

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a fun book of children's poems?, 30 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Silverstein used humor, rhyme, and "nuttiness," to create poems that capture the reader's attention, getting them hooked and wanting more. His drawings add to the fun, helping to create mental pictures for the reader.
I often read about how great this book is from kids, parents, and teachers. Silverstein's poem "Sick" is a popular favorite. I remember hearing this poem read aloud in school years ago.
Many of the poems are about wacky characters and are just plain crazy! Other poems give advice. They vary in length from very short to long.
The nutty style of a number of the poems is similar to that in "Piranhas in the Tub," by Asher Jones....

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
Old favorite

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book., 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends (Hardcover)
Such a lovely book for adults and children alike to enjoy. Fantastic poems that linger in the mind and fun illustrations. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend.., 2 May 2014
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends (Hardcover)
A superb read. My 8 year old son and I read it together and we both loved it.I would highly recommend it to all parents for children of a reading age..

Where the Sidewalk Ends
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (Hardcover - 2 Dec 2010)