Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 April 2012
The basic premise is that the Internet does not on it's own bring democracy and that current claims are overblown. Added to that we must not delude ourselves that undemocratic states will be using surveillance to spy on dissident Internet activity.

This is a good counter-balance to the political rhetoric and a major contribution to the wider net debate.
on 29 June 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
An interesting read, not to be taken seriously it is kind of like someones opinion put into words in which any sense should be taken lightly. Reading through it is quite well written, a controversial topic and something to keep your attention.
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This took me months to finish, and even then I didn't quite 'get' the point of the book.

I suppose if I'd grown-up with the Internet as being my saving grace and 'god' I might feel the way that Evgeny does and feel disillusioned with the 'power' of the Internet....but since I was born way before computers were even around and I don't rely on the Internet to be my guide...I couldn't quite feel empathy for his dilemma....and you have to feel something for the author's predicament...and I'm sorry, but I didn't.

...I think what Evgeny might be forgetting is, the world is populated by people.....not phones with apps...computers...google...email....text....twitter....it's the people that are important, not the technology but such a vast 'essay' could have covered that in much less words.

I'm almost in agreement with Alexander Whiteside that it didn't light me up...infact it also became a book that I truly struggled to get through...
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Evgeny Morozov "The Net Delusion"

Morozov argues that The West is operating under a delusion that authoritarian regimes will crumble as the Net and other democratizing technologies spread. He once shared that expectation, but in this book he shares his doubts.

As I write this review, popular uprisings are changing the face of world politics (Egypt, etc) and this is being reported in The West as a triumph of democratizing technologies such as twitter. This perspective might be a symptom of the "Net Delusion", of course, as expressed through Western media. Or maybe there is a real shift happening.

"Events, dear boy, events!" Harold Macmillan (allegedly)
on 16 February 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Oh goody, I thought, a blistering polemic on the evils of the internet; sounds like something Orwell might have dashed off for some left-wing mag. If only. It's like wading through a densely-argued university research paper, the sterile air of dry academia enlivened not one whit by humour, intentional or otherwise. The author has managed to start with an exciting, challenging proposition and has then proceeded to suck the life out of it. Whatever else the big bad interweb may be, it's rarely boring, unlike this thunderingly dull doorstopper of a book. Send straight to the recycle bin.
on 15 March 2012
From the moment I picked up the book I loved turning each page.. This would be a good holiday read..
on 24 February 2011
The whole thesis of this book has been completely undermined by events in the Arab world.

As much a curio as a book believing in a flat earth.