5.0 out of 5 stars A magical book, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Pocket Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Not Visited and Never Will (Paperback)
There are very few books as good as this. The larger format version looks nicer, but faced with the choice of either I chose the pocket atlas as I knew I'd carry it around and read it. Just buy it. This format if you or the person you are buying it for will want to read it on the bus or train, the larger version of you or they will keep it at home. As the introduction ends "Now that it is possible to travel right round the globe, the real challenge lies in staying at home and discovering the world from there" ... Danny Dorling

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic of travelling (in your pocket)., 26 Nov 2013
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is a wonderful inspirational tome that, given to the right person, will make a delightful present. The thick rich paper, the delicate (yet accurate) maps of islands, the greatly researched pieces of information on every island - all of this makes the book a delightful hardcover. I imagine myself as a traveller. I imagine travelling and reaching out to all 50 islands described in the book. What a journey this will be.

This is truly inspirational to read, like an old school book of maps, or an atlas of some fantastic far-away lands that are not easily reachable (and they are not!), yet all of the islands can be visited.

I have the bigger size version of the book, which I would choose over the mini format (which I saw in the shop and wanted to buy, only realising that I have the original version) - Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Not Visited and Never Will (not very keen on the yellow cover of the pocket edition). Yet, not judging the book by its cover, this will make a fantastic present for an experienced traveller, or a budding traveller, or for a dreamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellently written, 28 Nov 2013
This is a wee book of dreams really, full of interensting historical facts about magical places most of us will never visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get lost in this book, 22 May 2013
It is always fun to find a book which is full of inconsequential fun or information. This is one. I can't imagine I will ever go to any of the islands but it is fascinating to read about these isolated corners of our earth with the notable history. It is definitely worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and beautifully designed, 2 April 2013
Marc Munier (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
Not only is this book packed with delightful facts it also looks and feels like a work of art in itself. I got the pocket book as opposed to the hardback version and don't feel I'm missing out anything as a result.

It's just a lovely thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 14 Feb 2013
Mr. R. J. BLACKETT (The Well Field) - See all my reviews
An intriguing pocket book of facts, figures and microfictions about some of the remotest places on earth. Simple, yet captivating design by the author make it a marvelous gift and a fascinating volume to browse through time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 16 Jan 2013
Places I've never heard of and didn't know existed. Great way to pass the time imagining all these places you would like to go, but probably never will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic in a pocket size!, 6 Jan 2013
Carl Hubbard (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
exquisite pocket sized version of a remarkable book of nostalgic interest to this former philatelist and a stunning collection of virtuoso pieces to capture even the most jaded imagination! can't be recommended highly enough to lift you out of these apocolyptic times we seem to be living through!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 25 Mar 2014
Bought it after reading the reviews and it is a Neat little book, full with interesting little facts and stories. Highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful book, 2 Oct 2014
J. V. Andrews - See all my reviews
We have the hardback so wasn't sure whether the smaller pocket version would be equally attractive. It is and so interesting. Recommended for anyone who loves travelling, or dreaming about travelling, or 'proper' maps.

Pocket Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Not Visited and Never Will