5.0 out of 5 stars This is an utterly wonderful book
I picked up just because I liked the look of it - beautifully and lovingly designed and produced. And I was entranced and bought a copy immediately - which my wife immediately purloined so I may need to buy another.

The author was new to me but the story behind the book is moving - born in East Germany and only able to conjure up a picture of the world outside...
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by Wil Andersen

3.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book
It is a great book, with great maps! It is about 50 remote islands. Have a strange title, because I want to visit in the future some of these small islands.
Published 17 months ago by Paulo Espínola

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a book, a work of art, 26 Dec 2010
J. Bowman (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Not Visited and Never Will (Hardcover)
An amazing book, one to pass down the generations. I feel this book is destined to become a classic not only for the elegant drawings of the islands but also because of the oblique vignettes that accompany each one. I would like to see this book filmed by Werner Herzog with a soundtrack by Brian Eno. I have no idea what it would be like but I could only imagine it would be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and intriguing, 10 Mar 2011
Absolutely gorgeous book, with gorgeous layout, paper, maps and writing. The perfect present for a map lover, or indeed any amateur geographer. Even the story behind this book is beautiful, and it's a book that will be on the coffee table favourites for a long time to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little stories, 12 Jan 2014
Babis Bizas (ATHENS, GREECE) - See all my reviews
The book is a series of little novels attached to each individual island.It Is not a geographical approach at all.
It is interesting to read but then you need an other book to learn about these islands. If you like stories is good . If you search for history you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful publication, 4 Jan 2011
O. McLean (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Put together beautifully. Lovely to hold. Nice attention by the publishers to the texture of the cover and the layout. a lovely product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 5 Jan 2011
Excellent, accurate and concise book. Highly enjoyed by the readers to whom I offered it. Mapping could be more detailed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atlas of Remote Islands, 2 Jan 2011
N. Parker (UK) - See all my reviews
An exceptionally beautifully produced book that I gave my husband for Christmas. He started reading it with delight and then discovered, to his intense frustration, that the English translation didn't extend to converting the kilometres into miles (or at least having both side by side). This is a bizarre omission on the part of the UK publisher, especially given that the book is all about travels of the imagination rather than making detailed plans for a visit. So every page requires some thinking about how far the distance actually is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Atlas of remote islands, 5 Jan 2012
A sad and cynical read! I was disappointed and judging by the number of used copies for sale, so were other readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong !, 29 Mar 2011
I happen to have lived on one of those remote islands for over a year at the time the description occurs in this book.
Well, I am very sorry to tell it is a complete nonsense so if the tales about the other islands are the same then it's just worthmess reading.
The only interest of this book is to make people realize the small dots on the WorldMap exist.
Enjoy the reading if you want but no general truth is to be found there.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›