5.0 out of 5 stars The lovely edible garden!
Published on 22 Mar 2010 by Pompom

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but lacking substance
Published on 29 April 2010 by J. Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars The lovely edible garden!, 22 Mar 2010
Pompom (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Edible Garden: How to Have Your Garden and Eat It (Hardcover)
Gardeners World presenter Alys Fowler has created a gorgeous book. Alys takes the sort of approach I like - no rigid planning, no particular rules to abide by, simply recommendations to help you along. As she says, your own experience is far more valuable to you than reading things in a book. She is an experienced and accomplished gardener and her recommendations are very good - trees that will rob your garden of productivity vs trees that give you beauty, scent and marvellous fruit. She also covers how to make the most of the space you have and how to exploit the unique aspects of your garden. Divided into 3 simple parts:

Things to know: In order to reap the rewards of your garden you have to know a few things about it, such as soil type and how to keep your plants happy. This also includes foraging, growing in pots, recommendations of deorative edible vegetables - making the most of your pot garden. She also takes you through fertility and compost, including how to make your own. The book then goes on to getting the garden started - seed sowing (including when and where), pricking out, hardening off, weeds (and what to do with them), watering and pests and diseases - including the pesky slug (Alys squishes them). Recommendations for speedy crops and plant protection (this includes an innovative picture of a greenhouse constructed using old windows, including stained glass. I'll be keeping my eyes open in the local scrap yard!). A good overview of how to give yourself a stable start for your edible garden.

Things to grow: In this section Alys gives us the lowdown on her favourite fruit, vegetables and flowers to grow - because they taste good, provide a plentiful harvest and look good. This is a brilliant section - I'm always flummoxed when I stand in front of the seed racks to know what is really good. Getting the answer from someone who has tried numerous varieties and come up with a lovely list is so handy. This section also covers seed saving for the next year, including a germination test.

Reaping your harvest: Includes bottling and preserving - recipes for a number of things including jams (raspberry), jellies (blackberry and apple), pickles, chutneys, brews etc. Alys also covers freezing and apple drying. She includes recipes for a number of other bits and pieces - nettle soup, japanese knotweed spears (!) - make sure no-one has sprayed it with herbicide before you try, scafata (an Umbrian stew m,ade with broad beans, tomatoes and a late winter green), her own version of salad nicoise, raspberry icecream and blackcurrant and chestnut icecream. Alys's recipes are divided up by season (I've covered Spring and Summer for a taste), the recipes are simple and sound nice and I will be trying some. This isn't a recipe book though, some don't expect pages and pages of them.

Non-gloss pages all add to wholesome effect, the book is littered throughout with simple drawings and inspiring photos. Alys's book has renewed my enthusiasm to try some different varieties and persist with growing my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read, 23 April 2010
E. More - See all my reviews
I loved this book. Beautifully put together and encapsulating Fowler's quirky hippy charm it inspires you to get out there and make the most of whatever outdoor space you have. It opens your mind to a new approach towards growing your own and brings the notion of polyculture to a mainstream audience. Fowler's enthusiasm for fresh, home grown veg is clear, and infectious, and will have you reaching for your wellies and gardening gloves in no time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but lacking substance, 29 April 2010
J. Kent "Citizen Twiglet" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Alys' book is very pretty, and there are some useful bits; but I find the chapters very awkward to follow, it jumps around quite a lot, and nothing is dealt with in great detail. I was expecting more information than we got in the TV programme, and I felt a little let down. Very good section on the various types of compost for container planting; but her chapter on foraging almost seems an afterthought - I am hoping she is planning a whole book dedicated to the subject, which may explain why her advice amounted to 'buy a good reference book'.

Definitely one to depress those of us who need somewhere to dry clothes and house a slide and a sandpit (or, heaven forbid, a deckchair), because her garden is stunning, but what most of us (or our neighbours) would probably despair of outside the summer months - I definitely think the fact she is a professional horticulturalist puts her on a bit of a pedestal - if my garden looked like that my neighbours would probably complain to the council that it 'needs seeing to'! The explanations of permaculture / polyculture were very good, she has a lovely, approachable way of writing that explains things really well for beginners, and there's a nice chapter on edible flowers. I wish, ruefully, that I'd bought 'The Thrifty Gardener' instead.

In all, a pretty, easy to read and inspirational book more suited to the coffee table than a resource for growing healthy crops as easily as possible. If that's what you want, look to John Harrison instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Growing my own, 20 Mar 2010
D. S. Adams (UK) - See all my reviews
This book was really helpful - and also really beautiful and accessible. It is arranged so I will be able to refer to it through out the growing season, which is useful because this is my first year to grow my own food in my back garden.
Well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE EDIBLE GARDEN BY ALYS FOWLER, 11 Dec 2012
Length:: 2:26 Mins

The Edible Garden: How to Have Your Garden and Eat It

In this book review of The Edible Garden I give you what I think are the positives of this book and why I would on balance suggest its a good buy.

Mark Abbott-Compton

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely presentation, terrible punctuation!, 22 Jun 2010
J. Gibson (liverpool) - See all my reviews
A beautiful book, which covers growing a more unusual range of plants than most vegetable gardening books. However, the poor punctuation and sentence structure is very distracting. Maybe it's a reflection of Ms Fowler's relaxed style of gardening in which plants are allowed to rub up against each other, but the use of strings of sentences separated by commas is tiresome.
And what is a 'chicken coup' (page 133)?
Is it a) a rebellion carried out by hens
b) a misspelled poultry house?
Surely BBC Books could stretch to a decent proofreader?

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 9 April 2010
L. McArthur - See all my reviews
This book excited and inspired me to try growing my own vegetables. It is very well presented, easy to follow and the new TV programme presents the book excellently. First class.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish it was on CVC, 23 Mar 2014
It was everything that I expected.But I only wish that it was on DVD. I would purchase the DVD if it was available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Jan 2014
Inspirational,wonderfully informative and makes me think I can try that!!! Thank u Alys yr brilliant! Looking forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational book, 19 May 2012
I bought this book after borrowing it from the local library and not wanting to give it back. Lots of ideas here to copy. Don't think it is for new gardeners though unless you are just looking for inspiration. Money well spent.

The Edible Garden: How to Have Your Garden and Eat It
The Edible Garden: How to Have Your Garden and Eat It by Alys Fowler (Hardcover - 11 Mar 2010)
13.00