Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Based on an interesting conceit that has been touched on occasionally in Doctor Who before- that for once the 'monsters' are the good guys and the humans are the 'baddies'- "Night Of The Humans" is another good story in a range of novels that somehow manages to keep the quality bar very high.

Amy is very quickly separated from the Doctor (who sounded like the Eleventh Doctor to me, but mind you I've watched 13 episodes so maybe it's easier to picture him) and both characters get caught up in some high-paced action, there's not a lot of time for preaching or thinking here.

It's all enjoyably sinister and explosive, though the arrival of new character 'Dirk Slipstream' in his 1950s rocket ship is a bit of a wrong turn, being utterly out of place with the rest of the story. The alien 'Sollogs' (giant slugs) are also crowbarred in in a way that doesn't really work.

Despite a couple of less convincing moments it's still a rollicking read and if you're cherry-picking which Doctor Who books are worth reading, put this on your "yes" list.
on 2 January 2011
ok, i have to admit, i didn't really read this book on a kindle, i bought the real thing, but it was a lot better than the other doctor who books. I was in astonishment when i was reading it. If you are into doctor who, like reading and adventure then this is the book for you
on 3 May 2010
This is the first Eleventh Doctor Book I read since the new series started. The plot is very fast moving and leads to a god build up. In the book there are many doctor who references. The characters are also captured well.
on 16 July 2010
Love the book, love the story, love the cover. To start my very short review I would just like to say
that matt smith's doctor (in this book, and in the TV series itself) doe's NOT act or talk like the tenth doctor.
Very few people think that and most think he's the first TRUE doctor of the revived seres, and so do I. This book is great and I DO recommended this to any doctor who fan who likes to read occasionally too.
on 13 August 2011
I generally like the Doctor Who books (the old ones far more, though, it has to be said). However this one, despite its very interesting premise (I like the idea of the humans being cast as something like B-movie villains), is possibly the worst Who book I have ever read. It starts off pretty decently, as has been said in other reviews. What I want to talk about, however, is the incredibly heavy-handed message stamped on every page of this book.

Almost from cover-to cover this book is, pure and simple, a bile-filled hate rant that uses scare tactics to get its message across. Worse than that, it uses the beloved character of Doctor Who to aim its rant squarely at directly at our children. The message itself is incredibly simple and laughable: 'Religion is a scary clowns-face-worshipping cult of rabid primitives'. It is pretty clear that David Llewellyn is simply terrified of the whole idea and is lashing out at it...as well as trying to pass on his fear to our children.

I'm not trying to defend religion itself here, I simply find myself appalled at the message that Llewellyn is trying to shove his message of hate and fear down the throats of children.
on 4 June 2015
Very good read throughly enjoyed this book