Format: Paperback|Change

I'm a big fan of the BBC Good Food 101 range and have all their baking books. When I saw they had a new one out, seemingly just on cupcakes, I had to buy it. My first thought was 'this book is NOT all on cupcakes' and my second thought was 'this isn't as good as the other books, especially Good Food, 101 Cakes and Bakes' which I use all the time.

If you're looking for a book that will give you lots of different recipes for SMALL BAKES, this Good Food book is a good choice as it does have a decent variety. Be aware however that the book contains a relatively small amount of actual CUPCAKE recipes, compared to all its other recipes for muffins, biscuits, cookies and slices.

OK, so I was looking for more of a cupcake book and I'm a little disappointed with what I got. Plus, if like me you have other baking books in the series, you will notice a few repeat recipes too which is a bit of a waste. I ordered this off Amazon so wasn't able to flick through it to see this. Nevertheless a redeeming point about the Good Food 101 range is that it provides reliable recipes that really do work and aren't over-complicated - this applies to this book just as it does to the others. Plus the book is a bargain price considering all the tried & tested recipes you get so it's not too much of an investment if you're not sure whether to order it.

A quick note to anyone who is looking for more of a cupcake DESIGN book, don't go for this book because I think you will be disappointed. I recommend going for Hamlyn All Colour 200 Cupcakes (Hamlyn All Colour Cookbooks) which has lots of cupcake recipes at a bargain price or something like Bake Me I'm Yours: Cup Cake: Over 100 Excuses to Indulge (Bake Me, I'm Yours...) instead, which I also have and is a great little book for inspiring and achievable cupcake designs.
on 4 October 2010
I have a few Good Food 101 books and I have to admit that these tiny little treasure chests have more recipes that have quickly become some of my favourites and many others that I would definitely like to try, this is try for most of them.

However, this one is not really up to par with the others for some reason. It just didn't grab me like all the others, while it does contain some recipes that look scrumptious and I would like to try, it is just not as packed with mouth watering recipes like the others.

Overall, given the size and price of these books I would still say that it was worth the money even though it wasn't full of instant favourites from cover to cover like the others, there are still a few recipes that are yummy and make this one worth buying if you have the others.

*note: if you do own other Good Food 101 books, you will notice some overlap in the recipes from one book to the other.
on 19 August 2012
My husband calls me 'a bit of a foodie', but I'm not sure if I'd agree.
I love cooking books.
I have a lot of cooking books and I love to read them and post-it note all the recipes I'm going to try either on my own or with my nieces and nephews. This book has quite a few different cakes and small bakes that appeal to them, they like to look at the pictures and choose which one to make. (usually the ones that look like spiders etc!).

There are six different chapters in the book -
Cupcakes
Muffins & scones
Biscuits & cookies
Bars & slices
Tray bakes
Tarts, pies & pastries

The measurements are in grams and ounces and there is a photo of the finished bake next to each recipe.
Most of the bakes have only 3/4 different stages to make them, so they are quite easy and simple to follow, making them great for baking in a hurry or with children.

I've a few out of this book that I know are going to become favourites in our house, like custard buns and almond & lemon curd buttons (yum).

This book is great value for money, you get a lot for what you pay for, even if you don't use all the bakes in it.
on 21 March 2012
I ordered this book because I wanted interesting and easy recipes. I'm very pleased with the book. It has colorful images for every recipe and the description of every recipe and the cooking process is good. The book is very good value for the price. I'll order more from Good Food book series.
VINE VOICEon 9 August 2010
I have another couple of books in this series, and couldn't wait to get this one. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great little book, full of lovely recipes and ideas. There are some 'basic' cakes but also lots of unusual and inspiring recipes to try out.

I have SO many cake, cupcake and cookie books - some of them I really shouldn't have bothered to get - but this one is a firm favourite, one I dip into often. Another thing I like about these books........... their size! They don't take up a lot of room on the bookshelf, but are packed full of lovely recipes and pretty photographs.
on 17 December 2013
Bought this as part of a christmas present for my daughter ,she was saying that larger cook books can be hard to handle when you are trying to cook,So I thought that this mini book would be just right.
on 13 January 2012
A small book with a lot of straight forward recipes for buns and cakes etc. It has some very good healthy eating recipes as well. So if you want buns but worry about your weight, look at this.
on 17 June 2011
With piles of cup cakes becoming increasingly popular as an alternative to expensive wedding cakes this book could save you a fortune! Varieties of cup cakes occupy about 40 of the 200+ pages. The remainder of the book is filled with a seres of delights for anyone with a sweet tooth. They are all a match for anything you might see in your local coffee shop.

While more specialist and not as useful as other books in this series, on a day to day basis, if you are planning any entertaining with cakes to the fore this book will provide you with ideas and inspiration galore.
on 23 August 2012
This little book has all I need in it for small baking,. The scones are to die for as are the freezer biscuits.
on 28 June 2010
such a small book i have a job to read it - not many cupcake recipes, mostly traybakes or other, disapointing.