Format: Paperback|Change

Pam Ayres is one of those rare people who can bring tears of laughter to her audience with her gentle humour, whatever their age. These poems are from her early years and seem just as fresh as ever. Pam has written some introductions to the poems and there are some nice line drawings. I think most people will have heard at least one of the poems; I'm half expecting Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to recite "The Battery Hen" at any moment, it is just as true now as it ever was.
I can't imagine anyone not getting enjoyment from this book, it proves that poetry doesn't have to be dull.
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2013
I love pam ayres. Her poems are funny and lyrical. They tell many stories and will have you laughing and understanding the life within them. They often relate to everyday situations and often forget your reading poetry.
on 3 July 2010
Pam Ayres - the Works: The Classic Collection
This book proved to be everything i wanted it to be. I have previously borrowed a Pam Ayres book from a friend and readlly enjoyed it so decided to buy one, the leter version, for myself. I found it both funny, hilarious in parts and touvhing at others and have browsed through very many times and will keep it forever. It is a really good read whether sitting on a sun-bed in the garden or whilst relaxing but especially good on those nights when you just can't sleep and you need something to cheer you up. This does the job perfectly. Enjoy!
on 3 September 2010
I love Pam Ayres style of poetry, it's down to earth for "normal" people not "high brow." You don't need to be a Professor with a degree in Literature to enjoy it like you do with some poetry you're made to read at school!

It made me laugh out loud and I have recommended it to all my friends, in fact we had a right laugh reading out a poem from the book and craking up with laughter!

Just buy it! It's great! If you like this type of poetry you'll also love "The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)by Juliette Westbrook-Finch, it's a similar style and very enjoyable.The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)
Well done Pam, for this look into where some of the ideas came from to produce the poems that we know and loved. Especially I Wished I`d Looked After Me Teeth, which having read out to both of my Grandaughters , they love coming up to me now and saying Oh Mamma (Grandma) I Wish I`d Looked After Me Teeth , then are in fits of laughter for a while.If you need a laugh, then this book is for you.
on 11 July 2014
Bought as a gift but having had a sneaky look through I can say that this is the perfect book for those that enjoy Ms Ayres witty take on life.
Not a single dud, every word carefully chosen and every poem worth learning by heart,
on 8 January 2014
Good value for money. It's nice because there's a little write up about the poems and how Pam came to write about them which i think is interesting. I love Pam Ayres classic poems there is nobody quite like her.
I would highly recommend to everybody.
on 13 January 2014
I chose this rating because Pam Ayres is a favourite of mine. We entertain at elderly peoples Warden controlled homes and they love to hear her poems All her books are good.
The delivery was swift and Id order again.
on 1 February 2009
When I read this I could hear Pam Ayres speaking - I really enjoyed this book and, of course, one of the benefits was that you didn't have to read it all in one go. As usual with Pam very entertaining.
on 20 July 2013
I read Pam Ayres poem books when i was in my early teens many many years ago. I loved it, they all made me laugh. I wish i had my copy still to read to my grandson. Pam Ayres inspired me to write poems at school. This new version of Pam's poem book I believe will have the poems in again that I so used to love to read. As I have not got my copy at some point I will buy this book to read the poems to my grandson. It is one of those books for everyone to enjoy no matter what your age. I recommend Pam's poem books to everyone. Review by ireadnovel.wordpress.com