5.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood and Zombies, an excellent pairing!
Published on 19 Jun. 2009 by Mark Chitty

3.0 out of 5 stars The (Un)grateful Dead
Published on 11 Sept. 2010 by Captain Pugwash

5.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood and Zombies, an excellent pairing!, 19 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
This is the second Torchwood book I've read recently, and after my enjoyment of The House That Jack Built it was only a short matter of time before I got into the next one on the shelf. I had a choice between this and Into The Silence, but when you've got zombies on offer there is very little you can do to turn them down! It was with great anticipation that I sat down to see how a zombie story could fit effectively into theTorchwood setting, and boy did I enjoy every minute of it!

The setting once again is Cardiff and although this is a Torchwood novel, you wouldn't really notice it from the first few chapters. We get to see the zombie attacks from different viewpoints and start to follow other characters along with Jack, Ianto and Gwen. What's good about the way the story is told is that Jack and Ianto are together, Gwen and Rhys and then further groups of different people. This really does help the story and I was extremely pleased with the way the novel unfolds.

Although this looks like a typical zombie attack, there is that Torchwood twist at the end and the reasoning behind everything is believable and realistic - well, at least as far as any typical Torchwood story is! The pacing is spot on and doesn't slow much at all which makes for some adrenaline fueled scenarios and mad escapes. Of course, the zombie killing is gory in the only way zombie killing can be and Mark Morris has done a wonderful job at giving us what any decent zombie story should do.

I won't go into too much detail about the characters, suffice to say that the main ones are exactly as expected and play their roles well. It was nice to see Gwen's husband, Rhys, getting plenty of page time and he and Gwen played off each other really well, although Jack and Ianto weren't quite up to the same standard but still work well. The supporting characters were more detailed than I expected and had a depth that was surprising, especially for those that weren't on the page for more than a handful of times.

All in all, this is the best tie-in novel I've read and will probably be the best zombie novel I'll read this year. Compared to Stephen King's Cell, the last zombie novel I read, this is far superior and so much more fun! Highly recommended for both Torchwood fans and zombie lovers.

3.0 out of 5 stars The (Un)grateful Dead, 11 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
I've read all the Torchwood tie-in novels and have to say that this wasn't one of my favourites. The concept of a Cardiff overrun with flesh-eating walking dead is a good one, however it just seemed to go on for too long and to be too generic, both in terms of Torchwood and Zombie tales. Mark Morris is a strong writer, but this just didn't grip me, and the innuendo between Ianto and Jack just seems a little tired and stale. I admit that if this was one of the first Torchwood books I had read I would probably have felt more kindly disposed towards it, but hopefully any future novels (and there are none planned to date) will reflect the TV series' mandate to change direction and become fresher.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit shaun of the dead, 16 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
Now don't get me wrong, this book is realy quite an enjoyable read and I'm definatly glad I bought it if not for the fun gorey zombie killings but for the pictures of Ianto on the front cover (yes i'm a fangirl, lol).

However, the gorey zombie killings do get a bit... 'ish eventualy with them taking over quite a bit of the plot and eventualy becoming slightly tedios. As well as this, you go through almost the entire book with no sort of explanation to what's going on, and it' only in the last few chapters that the reason for it all is even introduced and the character the events relate to has perhaps nine pages worth of involvment.

Again, don't get me wrong, yeah it has it's bad points, but the fact is I realy did enjoy reading this book with it making me smile in some parts. All i'm saying is that if you just want some Torchwood fun with some kickass ombie action, this is totaly the book for you! However, if you want something with more plot to it i suggest you buy something like Twilight Streets.

Overall, I'd give it maybe... 6 and 1/2 out of 10? I don't regret buying it at all, but if i had borrowed it of a friend and read it, i wouldn't hae bothered ordering it of Amazon. Hope I helped!

3.0 out of 5 stars Zombie Romp didn't need Torchwood, 9 Sept. 2009
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
The second novel in the latest Torchwood trilogy is a fairly straightforward zombie horror book with just a tiny bit of Torchwood thrown in so that it matches the cover.

The book reads like any other zombie novel, with a multitude of random characters popping up only to be attacked and eaten or to escape and hang around for the rest of the story to serve as a distraction to the team. The conclusion seems for the most part to be a separate bolt on, with very little of what's gone before serving to set it up.

The one redeeming feature is the characterization. Gwen is well portrayed, and although Jack and Ianto are a little two dimensional in their flirty gung-ho attitudes, Andy and Rhys are fully fleshed out and were probably the most real of the cast, which made a nice change for the supporting characters.

Overall I'm afraid there just didn't seem to be a good reason that this should be a Torchwood book other than to increase sales. Any other characters could have easily slotted in, if not saved the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood:Bay of the dead, 29 Jun. 2009
Ms. S. J. Kinder (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead ("Torchwood")
This is the 11th book in the series.
Unlike the others (i've read all of them) until the end it doesnt follow the 'Traditional Torchwood Tales'.
There are far more characters in it than normal (and thats not counting the Zombies), Jack and Ianto are working as one team and Gwen and Rhys as another and they dont come together till the end.
It has a very good start to it but then for a couple of chapters feels like you're reading a book version of 'Shaun of the Dead' or similar; it soon gets back on track though and into a sort of Torchwood style feel. You get to know the additional characters well, which in this book you need to as it does skip from one scene to another a lot.
Not much flirting between Jack and Ianto in this book.
Still a great read with the usual Torchwood twist or 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 26 Aug. 2011
B. Pennant "old skool booklover" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
Again this carries on the recent well written Torchwood story if I do have one critism to the Torchwood books its that they are a little samey. The writers and whoever commissions the books needs to encourage the writers to think alittle more out of the box.

If you like zombies this is for you my main critisims of this book its the additional characters that pop up you lose count of the at times and what there relevance is in the overall drama. For this reason Jack, Gwen, Ianto and Rhys stood out loved the helicopter coming it but again its alittle random at the same time.

This is a nice actioney story with team rushing round Cardiff to find out why Cardiff has been flooded by zombies with a little bit of an homage to the Marie-Celeste at the beginning.

Another good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Torchwood..Bay Of The Dead, 5 Sept. 2014
This was the first Torchwood novel ive read..and really enjoyed it.You got cought up in the action from the start..the tension and the surspense.Jack Harknes..as dashing and briliant as ever swinging into action with Ianto by his side being series and funny at the same time.Gwen and Ryes..flighting out in the open for thier lives..I loved Gwens strength and fighting spirit as it is in the series.The ending was a surprise and great twist..with Oscar and the alien Leet and the sadness of Oscar sacrificing himself to save them all..the ending was also tender with Jack and Gwen standing at Oscars graveside..A very well put together Torchwood novel..would definatally read more.

3.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 11 Mar. 2013
Andy (Worcester) - See all my reviews
Initially, it appears to be a basic story with the time old movie formula of a multitude of zombies running amock in Cardiff eating the local traped population. Although that works for me as a story I just new with Torchwood involved there would be a lot more to it. I was not dissapointed as the ending as usual was unexpected. Chapters are fairly short so the pace of the book is very quick. I read all sorts of books some with very complex language and plot but it is nice once in a while to kick back with a book like this well written very entertaining but not over complicated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under Par, 17 Aug. 2009
A. Lockley "Who Fanatic" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
Little disappointed with this offering although a good enough read. As with all Torchwood novels, there is plenty of jumping from scene to scene. This style of writing fits in very well with how the TV series works but in this book there is (to me) rather more than usual. Middle of the book, around page 90, I did find confusion setting in. I'm still unsure there is not a continuity error or not. Very descriptive detail writing of the zombie attacks, keep your stomach churning long after reading. Not my first choice Torchwood novel but a decent enough read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies? not usually 'me', 19 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead (Hardcover)
But I loved it!! I little gory in parts and it got my pulse racing at times - all the components of a thumping good read.

The author got Rhys spot on for me with his humour and humility combined. Some of the tale was actually quite funny which offset the horror of the zombies well enough not to give me bad dreams! I sound like a child don't I? but I am used to hard-boiled crime alright, just wasn't so used to finding it in a Torchwood novel!

Recommended read IMO, but keep the lights on!

Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead
Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead by Mark Morris (Hardcover - 25 Jun. 2009)