5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Food
Published on 27 July 2009 by Mrs. T. Abraham

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but frustrating
This is a great book and it has some amazing recipes, however it is a bit frustrating as another person mentions in their review. There are a large number of recipes which require another recipe for a sauce or broth, to be made in preparation before hand. However, if planned ahead of time this should not be a problem.

one great thing about this book is that it...
Published on 23 Sep 2009 by Jon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Food, 27 July 2009
Mrs. T. Abraham (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
Every page of this fantastic book has another wonderful recipe. It's set to become one of my most used sources, and we cook a lot! Whilst the recipes aren't complicated, they do involve quite a bit of prep, and a lot of time shopping in Asian supermarkets which won't be easy for everyone. Some also look deceptively simple until you see you have a whole paste or sauce to make from the section at the back. Having said that we "dined in" Cambodia last week, Malaysia over the weekend, and Vietnam tomorrow all from the comfort of our kitchen, and there's still hundreds more recipes to make. Really thrilled with the book, its a must buy for lovers of Asian food who enjoy the smells of kaffir lime and lemongrass wafting through the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty recipes and sumptuous photography, 2 Aug 2009
ccto (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
We're really enjoying Rick's latest series on BBC HD at the moment - his enthusiasm and respect for the cuisine really shines through, and after each show we always really want to try and recreate his dishes (and of course, enjoy eating them!)

This book contains all the great recipes Rick shares on the show, and seeing them in print just underlines how simple they are to cook really. Rick gives you a little background or history for each dish, and his down-to-earth style includes tips along the way to make things easy or even avert potential disasters (like the wok on the back burner tip, so you don't pour super-hot oil all over yourself by accident!) The photography is also sumptuous, and it's always good to know the effect you're going for anyway :-)

You'll need access to a good supermarket or perhaps a Chinese supermarket like the Wing Yip chain, but I can confirm it's worth the effort just to recreate those wonderful flavours.

Overall, this book is a no-brainer if you're a fan of the series, a fan of oriental cooking, or both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asia on a plate, 1 Nov 2009
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
I watched 4 episodes of the series on iplayer in one sitting and I loved it s much that I went straight onto Amazon to buy the book. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Asian cooking but so far I have tried three recipes and they have all been to die for, and made me really proud thinking I have been able to produce such a exotic and tasty plate of food. I tried the Cambodian carrot and green mango salad with crispy fish and sweet and sour dressing (nothing like sweet and sour chinese sauce by the way!!), the Coconut and chilli crab (this was delish!) and green Thai curry, and they have all been divine, even my boyfriend said that it tasted better than the restaurant!

I did have to make myself a list with all the "unusual" ingredients (conveniently listed and explained in the last section of the book) and visit an Asian superstore (I had never been to one before but I felt like a kid in a candy store!). Living in London I was spoilt for choice, I highly recommend Wing Yip Asian superstore (I think they have also have Wing Yip Stores in Manchester and Birmingham but the also have a website).

Some recipes might seem a bit scary when you look at the long list of ingredients but once you get down to it is nowhere as complicated as it sounds!

My only criticism of the book is that absolutely every bit of ingredient is listed with near scientific precision, i.e. 30 grs of chopped shallots, or 50 gr of crushed garlic 10 gr of crushed peanuts...I much prefer the handful, chunk, dollop, pinch approach but that's just me being petty.

I can't recommend this book enough for Asian food lovers

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has made redundant all my others on South East Asian cooking, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
I was looking forward to the arrival of Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odessey as I have enjoyed cooking from his previous books. In particular I was anticipating his recipes from Malaysia and Indonesia as I mainly cook food from those countries. The reality far surpassed anything I imagined. Rick Stein's recipes are simply wonderful and so authentic; he has achieved what so few writers of Asian recipes seem able to do, reproduce the true taste of the dishes. Many of the recipes were already familiar to me having cooked versions of them before but Rick Stein's recipes each have a little something extra which makes them stand out from all others. I tried his Malay Lamb Korma; the fragrance of spices filled the house and the result was a dream; often I find coconut curries with lamb rather heavy but not this version, it was lightened by the tomatoes and the coconut was just a subtle back note in the whole. His Babi Kecap is the very best I have ever made and so is his Chicken Country Kapitan. There are a lot of unfamiliar recipes I am looking forward to adding to my repertoire, especially those from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The sections on Cambodia,Thailand and Vietnam are not so realizable as they depend heavily on very fresh ingredients which are not available to me. The book has a satisfying chunky look and feel and is well illustrated. It is not a book for novice cooks of South-East Asian food as the recipes use home-made spice blends and I think one needs to be familiar with the way the recipes should taste and look before attempting them.
Far Eastern Odyssey has made redundant all my numerous Malay and Indonesian cookbooks - none of them produce anything like the wondrous tastes and flavours of the recipes in this book. I hope that Rick Stein will follow up his spectacular sucess with a second volume of Asian recipes in the near future.

4.0 out of 5 stars keen cook, 3 Sep 2009
Janet Williams (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
Reasonably price, well illustratd book which shines with Rick Stein's passion for his subject.

Recipes easy to follow although some of the ingredients difficult to obtain (note useful websites included for those not able to purchase ingredients any other way, or substitutes suggested where acceptable)

Following the recipes properly resulted in very authentic tasing food from a very reasonable outlay for a few basic ingredients. Some of the recipes, if the recommended amount of chilli is used, might be too hot for the uninitiated, so I would recommend adding less and serving separately until familiar with how they turn out.

Although warned that preparation can take a long time compared with the actual cooking which is mostly quick, this should be noted and taken to heart as there are no real shortcuts if quality and authenticity is to be maintained.

A good number of the recipes made tasty accompaniments to more Western style foods and barbeques extending the usage of the book.

My copy of this book is only 3 weeks old and is already well thumbed and splashed as I have used it so many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan B, 22 Sep 2009
K. A. Booth "Chilli Man" (Fareham, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
What a revelation - this like living the TV series!
Now that I have discovered an exceptional "Eastern\Asian" Supermaket close to me, there is no going back to my previous culinary life! Want a veggie change, try the Sri Lanka Curried Beetroot.
My wife and I have tried over a dozen recipes now (some 2 or 3 times!) and we've not been dissapointed.
I spent many years in the Royal Navy based in the Far East and tried "street" food first hand and what I have produced so far is like a step back in time - authentic aroma's and tastes and the heat sometimes is terrific, but sufferable.
A cool (maybe) Pad Thai tonight!
Alan - Fareham, Hampshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Similler to Mum's cooking, 11 Nov 2009
Kumudu Somadasa (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
I accidendally saw the program filmed in Sri Lanka which made me homesick as I am of Sri Lankan origin. It was great listening to Rick Stein attempting to speak sinhalese and the long tongue twisting words. The cashu curry is like how my mother cooks it. He has recomended that you soak the cashunuts which my mother does and his receipie is authentic too.

Enjoy:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but be warned: THIS IS A WAY OF LIFE!, 29 Mar 2010
Luke "Luke" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
I write this review after having created around ten recipes from this book. I think the main point I want to get across is that to get the most out of this book you must approach it as an adventure. Throw yourself at it from every angle. Scour the internet for additional info, spend time reading the glossary. Walk into your local asian supermarket picking up packets and exotic veg and smelling them. If you aren't prepared to do that then this isn't the for book for you.

I used to be a chef and I still love cooking. Finding this series and this book made me say "AT LAST, eastern cuisine with no shortcuts. The real deal". You know that lovely hoi sin marinated pork belly that all chineses and thais serve? You know those amazing fragrant coconut curries that attack every one of your senses? You know those fresh, piquant, tangy, sweet, sour, spicy salads that send you into another world? They're all here. All those secrets that you thought you would never be able to recreate are in this book.

I will disagree with some of the responses to the negative reviews. Not ALL the ingredients are available in normal supermarkets. Kashmiri Chillies/Powder are not, dried shrimps sometimes aren't, Fresh Cayenne Chillies, Kaffir Limes and their leaves are not. GOOD. That is part of the adventure. It is this lack of 'instant gratification' that lends itself to the fun. I loved roaming the streets of chinatown and brick lane smelling, looking, touching ingredients. Asking the shop assistants for things who were always happy to help. I've recently moved to yorkshire and was worried i wouldn't be able to source the ingredients as easily but I looked and I found. I've now befriended a malaysian lady who runs a spice stall in leeds market that sells ALL these things and even gives me hints and tips.

The book provides you with everything you need and is worth every one of those 5 stars. You just need to get off your backside and let it educate you. The glossary tells you what everything is and even if it didn't.. use the internet. Chances are you've seen it before on the shelf, you just couldn't put a name to it. Well now you can.

P.S.. the Chicken Curry Kapitan with its delicate spicing and nutty toasted dessicated coconut is the most delicious curry i've ever made.

Thanks Rick, never give up that passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Jan 2010
D. Cook "Rachel" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
I love cooking and I love making Asian food especially. There is the odd ingredient that is hard to get but I had 90% of them already and was able to find most of the others and I live in Northern Ireland, not exactly Asia central!! The recipes are relatively easy, nothing is overly delicate so if you get it a bit wrong or dont' have the ingredients exactly right it doesn't matter. One piece of advice for any wood be cook is buy a mini food processor, it's invaluable for making the curry mixes and pastes. This book is not necessarily ideal for people who want to make dinner with no prep in 20 minutes but to me that not why you buy a book like this that why you buy Delia, how to cheat at cooking!

The recipes are authentic and fun to do and everything I've made so far has been lush, it's hard to beat as a Asian cook book and I ahve quite a few!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful recipes, bulk buy that fish sauce!, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey (Hardcover)
This is a great companion to the TV Series, and with 150 beautifully presented and narrated recipes the book promises to be one of Rick Stein's best to date. The move to 'green' paper/print is welcome, nowithstanding this the book's production values remain strong. I have already tried the Duck in Orange Juice (as described in Episode 2 of the series) which is tremendous. Well worth buying if you are a lover of Far Eastern cookery. Nice one Rick!

ARRAY(0x1087b2ac)

Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey by Rick Stein (Hardcover - 23 July 2009)
17.42