Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 January 2010
I saw the BBC documentary and was deeply moved. If I ever come to Paris, I will surely pay a visit to the house of this great humanist, whose colour photographs (actually, the pictures taken by several different photographers he dispatched over the world from about 1909 to 1925) show us a world so near our own and yet light years away. Some of the people in the pictures could have been my grandparents. Their world - much poorer in some regards, much richer in other ones. I think future will prove the time between 1870 and 1920 to have been one of the most dynamic in the history of mankind. Whereas the documentary contains black and white film footage as well, the book offers the more meditative possibility to contemplate some of the most beautiful colour pictures taken from the enormous archive of Albert Kahn.
on 28 December 2009
After watching as many of the episodes of the BBC4 series on Albert Kahn (The Wonderful World of), as I could catch I bought the set of DVDs and watched those I had missed. Recently when in Paris I went to visit the Albert Kahn museum and gardens. The current exhibition is of photographs from Brittany and is excellent. The gardens are beautiful and worth a visit in their own right. On my return to England I bought this book through Amazon. If like me you enoy looking at old photographs (with the added interest in this case of them being in colour) you will love this book. Another reason to be gratful to the wonderful Mr Kahn!
on 20 April 2010
This book is fabulous! As soon as I got the parcel from courier office and dragged it home I went through it whole with my mouth open. If you love analog photography this book is for you! It's a must. It's a fantastic gift for those old fashioned freaks that still soak and dry films and who narrow their eyes while exposed to HDR pictures (I'm one of them). Also born explorers, those who travel moving finger on the map and those who travel by other means of transportation will appreciate The Wonderful World of Kahn.
on 7 June 2010
Book is excellent. Depending on your preference, you may or may not like it entirely. A lot of great images, but also an extensive written commentary for nearly every image. Although mostly interesting, the wording can be repetitive and slight-above-vague. Beautiful history has been recorded through the photographers who contributed to this book.

By the way, the DHL shipping is subpar. I had a big hole (like a 5 year old kid stuck their first through the packaging box) when it arrived at my door.
on 7 June 2010
This is a very nice book, very good quality. I found out about it whilst reading an article in a newspaper and thought the subject sounded interesting. The book was bought as a present for my girlfriend and she absolutely loves it. Neither of us knew much about Albert Kahn before finding this book, but we both learnt alot.

This includes some really amazing pictures. A good read for anyone, especially photographers.
on 23 July 2012
Outstanding product! I bought a used book but it was in excellent condition and the price was right. I highly recommend this book for the excellent photos taken of a "lost age"! I plan on buying the DVD that was made to go with this book soon.
on 20 January 2010
A beautiful book filled with amazing coloured photography of an age that has long past. I have never seen such wonderful coloured photography dating back so many years. Albert Kahn was a genious.
on 27 December 2011
I bought this book for my father for Christmas. He really does not have the time to read but loved this book of history in pictures with a little reading of explanation for the pictures
on 3 March 2010
Superb images offering a unique view into history. The actual pictures are fascinating and then the subject matter just adds an additional dimension.

Just full of wonder - Wonderful!
on 27 July 2010
The images are captivating - the colour technique gives a special vibrancy to them - and of course they are extraordinarily evocative of a lost age