Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 March 2008
The Twilight Streets came to my attention because of its cover. Being a Ianto Jones fan, I was drawn to it...and I was not disappointed! The characters are more realistic than they were in the previous books; in fact they are 'in character'. The twists and turns will leave you spinning, and I finished the book in two hours with a small smile, after having giggled and even cried during this. There's glimpses to Torchwood's past as well and a mention of Archie, the man running Torchwood 3 in Scotland! A wonderful story, well-written and an easy read.
on 5 April 2008
This was a very interesting read but it is a book that would benefit from reading it twice in order to be able to follow the twists and turns better. I had the problem that the book starts slow and I got a bit impatient because I was thinking, all right, this is intriguing but what does it mean?

But after a while the story managed to captivate me and it was very interesting to follow how all the pieces of the puzzle finally fit together and revealed the answer to the mystery about the area in Cardiff Jack can`t enter.

I welcomed the return of the mysterious old man, Bilis Manger, from the first season. He is the centre of the mystery and what was also interesting to me is that the difference between good and evil became blurred. I found it fascinating to see a possible future for Torchwood. The author used a lot of what has been shown in the second season and especially now, after I have watched the season finale, that part - especially the Owen/Tosh relationship - left some impact on me.

Contrary to "Something in the Water", this book does not only offer accurate characterizations, it uses them very well and offers quite a few surprises. It is an excellent book I can recommend very much.
on 16 October 2009
Without any question of a doubt, this is my faourite Torchwood book that I own.
With a gripping plot, characters written so close to their originals this could have been written by Russle T. Davis himself, and with little smushy sweet sad bits that made me cry, this book is WELL worth the money I paid for it and I'd have hapily paid twice as much for it!!
If you've never bought a Torchwood book before, this is definatly one to choose if you want an AMAZING first experiance of them. I couldn't put it down when i got it and was finished within three hours before having my tea and starting all over again just for the hell of it. I even have little markers init marking my favourite parts ( i know it's slightly sad but it's such a good book!)
I give this 10/10!! For me, it's up there with Harry Potter for adictability :D If you buy, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
on 8 July 2009
Gary Russell has written a number of Doctor Who novels over the years, often tieing the plot heavily into continuity. With this Torchwood novel he does the same, bringing in references to the TV series and even Doctor Who (Boom Town). Unfortunately these references could be the undoing of the book in future years as the TV series ends up taking the characters in this story in a different direction.

In particular the use of Bilis Manger here as a character of ambiguous morality, rather than the obvious villain of the episode. If the TV series ever brings back the character (and I hope they do), will it take into account the events recorded here or ignore them and thus negate this story from continuity.

Aside from that, however, this is a darn good read with an intriguing premise: a block of houses that Jack can't go near. The overall plot focusses on Jack, but Ianto gets a fair whack in the story for once, which is good. It also presents an intriguing future that would not come to pass (because it involves Owen & Tosh).

There is also the implications of a sequel, which I hope we will get in the not too distant future.
on 10 March 2009
Well plotted, intriguing and typically dark Torchwood novel by Doctor Who stalwart Gary Russell. The welcome return of the TV shows' best villain - Bilis Manger - is compounded by an eerie story and some grey morality that accurately reflects the TV portrayal of certain members of the Torchwood team. Easy to read but can be revisited with just as much enjoyment. Highly recommended.
on 6 May 2008
I liked this book the best of all the Torchwood novels I have read. It seems to reference a lot closer to the series than most. The story was absorbing once it got going and I was glad a certain pair managed to get together in the possible future ;)

If you like Torchwood, give this book a go.
on 14 July 2008
The Twilight streets is a MUST for any Torchwood fan and any Jack/Ianto fan such as myself!

it explores the characters beautifuly, is funny and the use of the Character Billis is brilliant!!!

by far my favourite book!!!!

i cant wait for the next set of 3 Torchwood novels in October
on 2 January 2016
A gift - but I hear the recipient was very pleased
on 7 August 2015
Good and fast sale
on 21 October 2014
This was such a good book and I couldnt put it down, I love the characters and the way the book was written, and its torchwood!