5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Diamond' Book
In this the Queen's Diamond Jubilee year there will be many publications charting the life of the Queen. However, this book, I feel will stand alone and stand the test of time. Alan Titchmarsh has shown us his passionate loyality and affection for the Queen in a beautifully illustrated book which is divided into the 'decades'of her reign. It begins with a chapter about...
Published on 26 May 2012 by Gella

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre - no real insight
I'm afraid that I found this book to be quite tedious, both in terms of content and the narration.

Firstly there were no real insights into the Queen or the Royal Family. All the material is just stuff that is quite common knowledge either through news reports or from the Queen's Christmas speeches. Whilst it is well written, I was disappointed with the...
Published on 19 Jun 2012 by Mr. Dk Hamm

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Our times, 3 July 2013
A real insight into HRH's life. An enjoyable subject written in The AT way. Makes me even prouder of being British.

5 star rating thoughtfully written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 28 May 2013
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really do love our Queen and enjoy hearing about her but sometimes its nice to hear a book rather than read one especially a biographical type book.

I enjoyed listening to the CD but would have prefered a downloadable version so that I could put it straight onto my ipod.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not a brilliant audiobook, 17 April 2013
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this on the back of the Jubilee as I am a huge fan of the Queen and wanted to get to know her history abit more.

Alan Titchmarsh obviously has a lot of respect and time for the Royal Family an is perhaps a little biased in his writing but it was enjoyable. Some events in the Queens life have been swept under the carpet or just mentioned briefly but this didn't affect the experience for me. However, what annoyed me was the narrator, he just didn't seem right for the job and this was the stumbling block for me. Alan started the introduction but the sound quality wasn't brilliant but the rest of the audio book just wasn't up to scratch compared to the quality of other audiobook cd's.

Therefore this is a mixed bag as far as I am concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth her life and times, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Elizabeth: Her Life, Our Times: A Diamond Jubilee Celebration (Hardcover)
This book was chosen as a present for my Wife, who enjoyed it immensely.
I admit I found it interesting after a sneak reading.
I recommend it to all who enjoy recent history.

2.0 out of 5 stars About the audiobook, 1 Mar 2013
ric03 (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not really used to listening to none-fiction audiobooks so this may be more a problem of the genre. For me it was a bit of a disjointed experience. The narrator (not Alan himself, but The Archers John Telfer) sounds a bit stuffy. It is probably just the style of the book. It is one of those books with plenty of photos and lots of fairly short sections of text (each describing a different event or idea). Whilst this works well in book format (similar to books of BBC documentaries), in audiobook it sounds a little odd. It zips along too quickly without any depth given to the topics. Just as soon as you're getting into one bit it all stops again and starts going in another direction. This happens throughout the CDs.

I'd give it between 2 and 4 stars (2 for the audiobook and probably 4 for the book version with photos). It really is a book you need to experience with the photos as without them it is too brief (At least for my tastes). It is unabridged and runs at just over 4 hours (4 CDs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth: Her life, our times..., 3 Feb 2013
This was brought for Christmas for my mother who has really enjoyed the book. She has been able to identify the times past when reading through reflecting on life as it was in her younger day. Remembering of course, the young princess and to her ascension to the throne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth"Her life, Our Times by Alan Titchmarsh, 20 Dec 2012
Alan has a very interesting way of writing whether in novels
gardening or historical ones. He shows his love for the Queen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not read it yet., 13 Dec 2012
Although I have not read this book I know that Alan will not let me down, as all his previous books have been top sellers and that includes his gardening books and his novels

5.0 out of 5 stars elizabeth ;her life ,our times;a diamond jubilee celebration, 20 Nov 2012
Bought for mother in law 's birthday who is hard to buy at the best of times but is an avid royal supporter so she was over the moon with this for her present.

5.0 out of 5 stars For my Mum, 26 Oct 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a lovely, well informed and easy to listen to gift in this The Queen's Jubilee year. Well presented and beautifully read. My Mum really appreciated this. As her eyesight is not so good, what a delight to have this read to you. Engaging and interesting, evoking many memories from down the years.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Elizabeth: Her Life, Our Times: A Diamond Jubilee Celebration
Elizabeth: Her Life, Our Times: A Diamond Jubilee Celebration by Alan Titchmarsh (Hardcover - 26 April 2012)
15.89