4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book
Others have commented on the poor photo quality and yes they aren't brilliant but I didn't buy the book for perfect photos. The views are just incredible. I just wish there were more of them! I'm glad I bought it and it would make a lovely gift.
Published on 10 April 2009 by A. Wardle

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Photos
I received this at Christmas but was badly disappointed by the shockingly poor quality photographs, which were low resolution and sometimes blurred. You need to check the book first at a high street book shop before buying online, in case you too are disappointed by the poor resolution of the photographs.
Published on 25 Dec. 2007 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor Photos, 25 Dec. 2007

1.0 out of 5 stars Come on BBC!, 21 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Coast From the Air (Hardcover)
One of my loves in life is aerial photography. The TV series was excellent so I had high hopes for the book. What a let down: how can the BBC put out such a poor product? The resolution and poor print quality does no justice to what could be great pictures. I suspect it was done to manage the publication costs, yet the book is not cheap. Avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad and the mediocre, 2 Jan. 2008
connoisseur (Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coast From the Air (Hardcover)
I got this book because I have in mind to do a similar project on New Zealand and this book provides lessons, in particular:
1. Summer is not a good time to take aerial photos because of the amount of haze and dust in the atmosphere.
2. If you have no choice about (1) then at least use a uv filter
3. Telephoto lenses will make the focus soft
4. Don't take photos with incident sun angles, keep the sun behind you.
The photos in the book are a mix of good, bad and medocre with enough good to cancel the effect of the bad, leaving the whole thing mediocre. The book design is mediocre too; the use of a band of lime green across every page spread doesn't work and the obliteraton of part of the photo introducing each new chapter with a double thick version of this band is bad. A thin line in a natural darker green would have been OK. "Artistic" white space seems inevitable among pictorial book designers, but there is just too much of it, and I would have used different fonts. The TV series has not yet made it here, hopefully it will be a lot better than this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars coast*, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Coast From the Air (Hardcover)
This book is a presentational mess. It is high time the BBC appointed a layout specalist so its books can be presented to their best advantage.The book is slightly wider and shorter than A4-a totally inappropriate size-it should have been at least A3.
After a very poor introduction the book is divided into 18 sections covering various areas of coastal Britain and Ireland as follows England-11,Scotland-4,Ireland-2, Wales-1.
Each section has 10 pages.The first 2 pages are a double page spread,the third a picture, the fourth a whimsical comment and the remainder pictures with captions.
The pictures are mainly quite good but those covering one and ahalf or two pages have lost all integrity by the creases.
A much better text is required rather than the pointless one that is provided.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to standard you would expect from BBC, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Coast From the Air (Hardcover)
Brilliant photos, but obviously spoilt by the summer haze. I read a review pointing this out, but decided to go ahead and purchase.
I was very disappointed by the 'fuzzy' views, especially as it was a gift for German in-laws!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, 10 April 2009
A. Wardle (Sheffield) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures. Good design ideas, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Coast From the Air (Hardcover)
Beautiful pictures. Good design ideas. A joy to read and absorb. Makes you realise how much of our own country you don't know about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great views, 31 July 2008
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coast From the Air (Hardcover)
I am surprised that other Amazon reviewers are not enthusiastic about this great book. It gives superb shots round our beautiful coast. I made me want to visit more of these places, travelling by helicopter if possible. Our coast from the air is a delight. My only quibble is I want to see more of the Hebrides.

Coast From the Air
Coast From the Air by Neil Oliver (Hardcover - 4 Oct. 2007)