4.0 out of 5 stars Fans won't be disappointed
If you are already sufficiently intersted in Pegg to be contemplating buying this book then do it. Despite Pegg's protestations that he didn't want to write a typical celeb biog there isn't much here that deviates from that format. He admits as much himself. Nevertheless, it is entertaining, frequently laugh out loud funny and covers all the things fans would want it to...
Published on 20 Nov 2010 by dannunzio19

3.0 out of 5 stars Plentiful in some areas, lacking in others
Like most fans of Simon Pegg, I first discovered him and his work with the seminal sitcom "Spaced" he co-wrote and co-starred in with Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson), and ever since I've been delighted to see him and the phenomenally inventive director Edgar Wright create some of the funniest and best-made films around ("Shaun Of The Dead" and "Hot Fuzz"). With this...
Published on 1 Feb 2011 by M. Board

5.0 out of 5 stars Skip to the end..., 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: Nerd Do Well (Hardcover)
Why do people write Amazon reviews as if they were writing for SFX magazine or the TL flipping S? Calm down, you're only a bloke who's read a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect present, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Nerd Do Well (Hardcover)
This was a present for my partner and so far he has really enjoyed it (only started reading it over the weekend) i would rercommend this book to anyone and hope you enjoy it as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spaced man, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: Nerd Do Well (Hardcover)
As someone who could be described as a long-lost and (very) distant cousin of Simon Pegg (I share his obsession with zombies but not so much with Star Wars), I've been looking forward to his autobiography for a while. And while it's not quite the book I expected, it's worth reading.

A fair chunk of Nerd Do Well is taken up with chapters on films - mainly the works of Romero and Lucas, although Pegg does describe experiences with people such as Gillian Anderson and Steven Spielberg with his customary self-deprecation and a sense of British surprise that a guy like him should be involved with such famous and talented people. He also goes into detail concerning the maligned Star Wars prequels which, if I didn't see Romero's films they way I do, would have been slightly embarrassing. If you're not as obsessive about something as Pegg is with Star Wars, this probably won't do a lot for you. Not to worry, though. Pegg relates plenty of stories of his childhood and adolesence which will strike plenty of chords with readers of a similar age. As well as being funny, these stories illustrate Pegg's development from nerdy student to comic to actor and writer - all with some degree of his nerdiness. My only complaint is the relative lack of stories on the works which brought him to the public eye over the last ten years: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and, of course, the mighty Spaced. They're all given mention but it's a little perfunctory for me.

Ultimately though, it's always refreshing to read an autobiography by someone with talent and charm. And it's a bonus when the autobio comes with a great Dan Brown mickey take thrown in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brockworth's Favourite Son, 18 Oct 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Nerd Do Well (Kindle Edition)
I've spent 20 mins in WHS this morning speed reading Simon's first auto.Primarily hoping to spot reference to Brockworth and Castle Hill Primary school.Mainly because that's where i live and my children have and are attendeing the school,so we have a sort of affinity.What i found was really refreshing in that where most autos skimp over these parts of an A-Listers life,Simon is almost gushing.In fact if i am not wrong about 30% of the book covers this area of his life and is oh so interesting,even for a speed reader in WHS.

The surprise in the book is finding out that Simon worked for Lloyds Bank in Gloucester and spookily his bro Mike is doing the same.I am sure there are more Gloucester based tit bits in this tomb which will prove that we do do more than make cheese and throw ourselves down hills.At least we do not throw stones at the moon!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon Pegg. ., 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: Nerd Do Well (Hardcover)
I bought this for my brother for christmas because he loves everything that Simon Pegg has been in. He hasn't started reading it yet but he was very pleased with his prezzi :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Reader Poo Well!, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: Nerd Do Well (Hardcover)
Yes, one good thing came out of this tawdry excuse for a 'memoir'. Through Mr. Pegg's egocentric rantings and unenlightened musings, I was able to make a 'breakthrough' of my very own. Or, rather, my body was. See, I am a chronic sufferer of IBS, and at times relieving myself is an uphill battle of epic proportions. Far more epic than any light saber laden showdown Star Wars could ever imagine!

Yes, I was gifted (I use that term liberally) this sorry excuse for a tome as a belated bday present from a well meaning yet clueless Aunt. The same one that gave me a used copy of "I, Robot" in an ill fated attempt to seem au currant a few years back for Xmas. Though my younger self would have been deeply offended as such, well, tacky offerings, the more mature me simply sees it as her trying to show some semblance of pop culture awareness. The very same awareness Mr. Pegg strives for yet fails so miserably at.

He is not a nerd, he is merely a weasely, petty little man whose one trick hijinx are growing thin. However, I was trapped on an extended, multi layover flight from London to Jakarta, so I decided this would be the perfect antidote for in flight insomnia! I tucked it into my humble little carryon, eager to then dispose of it in the back of the seat in front of me!

Little did I know the, well, MOVING effect its content would have on me...

About half way through the first leg of the flight (and 1/3 into Pegg's tiresome musings), I felt my bowels lurch. "Ah, TURBULENCE!" I initially thought! However, I realized the 'fasten your seatbelt' sign remained unlit, and the fellow passengers remained unphased. Comatose, even. Was I being Punk'd by Simon Pegg? Was this plane filled with zombies from planet X?

Again, I felt a SIGNIFICANT disruption. I thought my seat was malfunctioning, until I then felt the familiar, warm sensation of methane gas pouring out of my nether regions. THANK KRISHNA I had an aisle seat! I made haste to the Loo, as my bowels held on for dear life.

It was in that humble shed of a stall that I crapped out what felt like a lifetime of curry buffet! I held onto both walls as the sweet release took over me, and I was depleted of all bodily fluids and solids! Ah, yes! THIS is what it feels like to be alive, young, and on my way to a summer of beach time raves! I was now purged, expunged, and ready to get my drank on all month long! WOOOO!!!

I didn't DARE read the rest of this book's, erm, offerings, as I felt my insides just could not handle another round of the green apple splatters. However, I DID feel cleansed, anew, and with an enlightened sense of gratitude!

So, in some round about way, THANK YOU, Simon Pegg. Yes, your book was as self indulgent, hackneyed, and odious as your crudely derivative little films, but you made me a new man! And, I'm having the time of my life, partying it up with fellow backpackers, lady boys, and beach goers in Thailand! Max Gogarty, eat your wussy little heart out!

It is only truly vulgar writing that can produce such a cathartic release in its recipient. You DO have a gift, Simon. Sadly, it's just not the one you BELIEVE you do.

I think you could help a lot of those out there, like me, suffering chronic ailments. Please re-evaluate your life and put some of your TRUE gifts out there. The world, and the farming industry (HOLY COMPOST, BATMAN!), will thank you!

Nerd Do Well
Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg (Hardcover - 14 Oct 2010)
18.99