5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding
I have just been looking at all the reviews on here and i must admit i completely disagree.

This was the first book of james pattersons I ever read and i couldnt put it down I found it to be amazing and so creative now ive read more of his books and i have came to love his different stlyes of writing.

I find it amazing that he can write with other...
Published 18 months ago by matty

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you James!!!
Isn't Mr Patterson capable of writing a book by himself anymore?? I'd much rather
he release one book per year, written completely by himself, than all of these 'collaborations' (that's if they really ARE collaborations!!) which tend to be of much lower quality than his earlier stuff.
Published on 19 April 2012 by Pete Waite

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you James!!!, 19 April 2012
Pete Waite (Wimbledon, London UK) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 13 May 2011
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Toys (Hardcover)
I'm not sure what James Patterson was trying to achieve here - this book has one of the worst identity crisises I can remember. Is it a childrens book? Or for adults (it is written in a style aimed for young adults but does contain a fair bit of sex)? Is it sci-fi or an action thriller?

This is also so poorly written I would be surprised if there was an editor involved in the publishing.

This is not the first dud I have read from Patterson in the past year or so (following on from the abismal Private), so I think this may well be my last. As a long time fan (I've been reading his books for 15 years +) I am very disappointed and extremely disheartened.

You've lost a reader here JP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book I Have Ever Read!, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Toys (Paperback)
I am familiar of the author, although I have never read any of his books, but have seen the film 'Kiss the Girls' based on the book of the same name, which I quite enjoyed. All I have heard about James Patterson is that he is one of the world's best thriller authors and has an extremley good reputation so I thought I'd give this one a go.

When it arrived I noticed that on the front cover it had Neil McMahon's name as well, so clearly not written just by James Patterson if he had any input at all. The synopsis sounded fairly good, albeit it I am not one for novels set in the future but it still sounded like it could be quite a good read. But the story itself is just ridiculous. The characters are bland, the plot is all over the place and it feels like it was written by a 10 year old getting excited about writing about robots at primary school.

The only thing that made me get to the end is that I hate to leave a book unfinished.

Avoid at all costs - unless you're aged between 10 and 12!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to writing thrillers, Mr Patterson!, 29 July 2012
T. Ross (Worthing, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toys (Paperback)
Good sci-fi, for me, needs to have an original concept, a believable world, characters you can relate to and a story that reflects on the human condition. Toys has none of this. It is formulaic, shallow, and about as fluffy as a stick of candyfloss. It's as though Patterson wrote down on the back of an envelope the ingredients of what he thinks makes a sci-fi novel. "I know, let's have flying cars, laser guns, clones, jet packs and enhanced humans". The plot, I think, he probably wrote on the back of the same envelope in the area where the postage stamp would be, and with lines like "You will have your revenge. I promise that - at least that" it reads like a script from a corny B-movie.
I think it's probably an urban myth that pulp novels were so called because they were produced in such large numbers that remainders were pulped and used in hardcore underneath roads. Nevertheless,I truly believe that's where Toys belongs - buried and best forgotten.

2.0 out of 5 stars JAMES, DO YOU REALLY NEED THE MONEY??, 9 Aug. 2013
Red Rock Bookworm (St. George Utah USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Toys (Paperback)
James Patterson's TOYS takes place in 2061 when the world is divided into the Elites and the "skunks" (humans). The elites in Patterson's book have become so completely fascinated with their electronic toys and their own personal physical augmentation that little else in life is of importance (except their complete hatred of skunks (humans of the underclass) and their need to exterminate as many of them as possible. Like his MAXIMUM RIDE series, this book too is about a group of people who are mistreated and misused for the benefit of another group of people. (Perhaps this is a commentary on the problems facing us today since we seem to have our own "beginner's version" of elites currently occupying positions of power).

In Patterson's dystopian world Hays Baker and his wife Lizbeth are enhanced elites who possess herculean strength, extraordinary intelligence, Greek god-like physical beauty, a prodigious sex life, and two children as exceptional as their parents. Hays and Lizbeth are the perfect couple living in a perfect utopian world . . . . perfect, that is, until one fateful day when an attack at a TOYZ store turns their perfect world upside down.

As I listened to this book on CD read by Matthew Bomer (he of White Collar fame), I was struck by how much it resembled the books of H.G. Wells and George Orwell that I read in my impressionable youth. All I can say is Patterson can't compete with these guys, in fact more recent authors like Margaret Atwood and Margaret Peterson Haddix also put him (as well as his co-author Neil McMahon) to shame.

While Matthew Bomer's delivery of the material was more than adequate the book itself was just an okay way to pass a few hours on the road and while I was not truly enthralled by it, it was certainly a more viable option than 7 hours of RAP music assailing ones ears.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..., 16 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Toys (Paperback)
I am a big fan of James Patterson's books and have enjoyed all I have read so far - the Alex Cross, Michael Bennett and Womens Murder Club series are (in the main) the benchmarks for the cop/thriller/whodunnit genre and stand alongside the best from Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Jeffrey Deaver, Stuart McBride et al IMHO.

Many of his books are co-written with other authors, such as Andrew Gross, Howard Roughan, Michael Ledwidge and Maxine Paetro (which is no doubt how he can be so prolific) and for the most part it is difficult to notice, as the style, plotting, dialogue and pacing are what you would expect from JP.

Which brings me to 'Toys'. Now I have not heard of Neil McMahon before, but I suspect that he has had rather more to do with this than Mr Patterson. Apart from the trademark short chapters, this just does not read or 'feel' like a Patterson novel. The dialogue in places is puerile at best, and some of the breathless, obvious descriptive work is not in the same league as anything else I have read with JP's name on the cover - even his books for younger readers ('Maximum Ride' and 'Witch and Wizard' series) are of a much higher standard than this.

I am at a loss to explain this, other than the collaboration, and apologies to Neil McMahon if I am wrong here, so can only assume that this was written and conceived as another book for (very young) teenagers, but seriously, even my 14 yr old daughter has written better prose and dialogue over the last couple of years.

If you are a fan of James Patterson please do not expect the same standard as other titles - sorry but this just does not cut it, and feels much more like a marketing exercise 'novel-by-numbers' than a serious attempt at adding to the James Patterson canon - I would have given no stars at all had I the option - a big disappointment, not worthy of the Patterson name and definitely NOT recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Shallow, 16 Jun. 2011
A. G. Williams "Gavin" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toys (Hardcover)
Well.. I guess I should have known better. I have always avoided James Patterson because he is one of these "Extruded Thriller Authors" (tm).... however the book caught my eye in the airport. I avoided it twice because of the author, and finally plumped for it as the best on offer in the airport.

The writing is so poor it's just laughable. Other reviewers say is this targetted at children. To me it feels rather that it was *written* by a child. There is no depth to the characters, it jumps around randomly and leaves elements unfinished, and the only reason I kept reading it was because it was better (barely) than the airline in-flight magazine (which was in Finnish).

The good news is it's persuaded me to get a Kindle, as now I can avoid being trapped into spending £££ on this type of drivel again.

(extruded thriller authors are those who churn out book after book of identical crime thrillers, with only an up-front randomiser as the differentiation between each book)

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Toys (Paperback)
If you find this review helpful ... please click the little "yes" box below.

I really don't know what to say about this book other than ... don't buy it. If you find it lying in the gutter and it's in reasonably good shape, then you might want to pick it up. You could probably tear out the pages and use them as firelighters for when you're camping. Or, it might be useful as a 'colouring book' for a 2-year old. Or, perhaps you could shred it and use it as bedding for your pet rabbit. But, life's too short to waste time reading it. It's terrible.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all James Patterson's normal style, 26 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Toys (Paperback)
I bought it as I have done with all of the other books that James Patterson has co-written with other authors - basically because I see James Patterson and just buy it without actually reading what it's about. Until now I haven't been disappointed as they have all more or less been along the same lines as a "normal" James Patterson book but this one was a complete shock. Set in the future with all sorts of strange futuristic inventions included in the text I didn't like the idea at all at the beginning. However, once past the initial shock and "oh god what have I bought" reaction it wasn't actually too bad. It has a nice twist at the end but definitely not one of James Patterson's co-written success stories as far as I am concerned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book EVER, 12 July 2011
lee bee (macclesfield, cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toys (Hardcover)
WHAT was he thinking?? Seriously this isn't just the worst book by 'Patterson' (although I suspect that not only was he not involved in writing it, I don't even think he's read it) this is the worst book ever written. It would take me forever to write down all the reasons why it is beyond dreadful.

It honestly reads as though it was written by a 4 year old... monkey... on drugs... distracted by something on tele... whilst texting his mate.

Avoid this as you would avoid a rabid dog.
If I could give it zero stars, I would.

Toys
Toys by James Patterson (Hardcover - 28 April 2011)