5.0 out of 5 stars Postcards Not all Sun and Fun - a Dammed Good Thriller
I have just finished reading this book 'Postcard Killers' and can honestly say I enjoyed it!

Have read a few of James Patterson's book in the past so was looking foward to this one as have never been let down in previous books, you know what you are going to get...... a good read with a thrill.

Here he has teamed up with Liza Marklund and you get two...
Published on 13 Feb 2011 by Alessi Lover

2.0 out of 5 stars Mr P is turning into Mr Average Joe!
James Patterson seems to continually disappoint me these days. It's bad enough that I hated his last two books, but this one is only marginally better. Many people are die hard Patterson fans and until quite recently I would have also put myself in that category. Unfortunately, I am now becoming very cynical when it comes to any book he has co-written.

This...
Published on 8 Sep 2010 by Best Crime Books

2.0 out of 5 stars Mr P is turning into Mr Average Joe!, 8 Sep 2010
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Hardcover)

This particular book I was actually looking forward to due to many reasons. The first is that he has never co-written with author before; and secondly because Lisa Marklund is a successful author in her own right. Once again I have been let down.

The story itself sounded pretty good from the bog standard jacket info. NYPD Detective Jacob Kanon is on a tour of some of the most famous European cities. However, his reasons for the tour are not what you imagine. His daughter Kimmy was brutally murdered along with her fiancé while visiting Rome. Since then other couples have been found murdered in many other cities. There seem to be no connections except for a postcard that is sent to a local newspaper prior to each of the murders. Jacob feels that he has to track the killers down to find himself some peach and the only way to do that is team up with Dessie Larson, a reporter that received a postcard in Stockholm.

The first few chapters are pretty good with non stop action from the killer and the detectives. Gruesome crime scenes and the police scratching their head is the general theme of the story in the beginning. This book actually had the potential to be really good.

Sadly, both Lisa Marklund and James Patterson got bored around halfway through this book and decided to slow the pace and the storyline at the same time. The story itself was okay, but it seemed to become more lacklustre the further into the book you got.

The main character Jacob was not the strongest character I have read, but by no means the worst either. The relationship between Jacob and Dessie was also a bone of contention for me as it was very unbelievable and stilted.

Besides Jacob and Dessie, the only other characters that the reader is drawn to, is that of the killers. The killers were so mentally unbalanced it was laughable. There was nothing like the connection you feel to characters when reading a Cross novel. This is one of the major factors that is turning me rapidly into a Patterson turncoat.

I still pray that when the next Cross novel is released by Mr Patterson alone that I will take back all my words of criticism and be a number one fan again. I think that overall Patterson fans want just that, Patterson and Patterson alone. Leave the co-writing alone for a while!

5.0 out of 5 stars Postcards Not all Sun and Fun - a Dammed Good Thriller, 13 Feb 2011
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Hardcover)

Here he has teamed up with Liza Marklund and you get two slants on the story in my opinion (one where the female elements come into play, the other the more cut and thrust of the investigation and a lot more bloody). Either way together you get a good read.

If you don't like blood and gore this is not one for you as some the chapters are graphic but saying that sometimes you have to have that element as that is what makes the story.

One thing for sure postcards will never have the same meaning after reading this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A not-very-thrilling thriller., 2 Dec 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Paperback)
It always amuses me how quickly JP churns out his books and just how short his chapters are actually getting! As a consequence of such short chapters I whizzed through this book in under 2 hours and it was a fairly decent thriller and a good way to spend time commuting to work- though not a fantastic read by any means and what I refer to as a `switch your brain off' book without much depth. I prefer JP's earlier stuff to this- especially his earlier Alex Cross novels which were fantastic.

This book which was co-written with Liza Marklund (who I'm afraid I'd never heard of up until now) has some seriously glamorous Scandinavian settings which have sadly been tainted by murder- namely that of young tourist couples. NYPD Detective Jacob Kanon thinks he has a full MO for the killers, having lost his own young daughter to the same murderers in Rome. When a Swedish journalist receives a creepy postcard from the killers in Stockholm, Jacob teams up with her, determined to end their killing spree once and for all...

The premise for this book was actually pretty good, though as the chapters are so short it's hard to become absorbed in the writing or really engage with any of the characters on more than a superficial level so it remains a pretty quick read. Generally I have been a bit disappointed by Patterson lately- his books just do not contain the energy of his earlier novels any more and this was no different, though it was a reasonably entertaining way to pass the time. The ending was a little bit cheesy though and I did find this book to be a bit full of stereotypical characters and riddled with cliches.

All in all, I have read better thrillers and better JP thrillers at that, but if you're looking for a quick serial killer read to pass the time then there's no harm in giving this one a go- just don't expect anything fantastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland to the point of offensive, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Paperback)
This book was a huge disappointment, especially from two established authors.

The characters are wooden, with little effort to develop the two main characters. The relationship between the two main characters is predictable and boring, whilst that of the killers is so unbelievable it's almost funny.

Whilst physically this has the feel of a decent read (being 500+ pages), the font is so big and there is so much white space in the book if formatted properly it would probably be at best 300 or so. 300 pages is not a lot to develop some good characters and story line for a crime thriller!

Finally, I really wish Liza Marklund had stood up to James Patterson and not let the story revolve around the American cop being right all along whilst all European police are incompetent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Airport book, 13 Nov 2012
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A Swedish journalist and a NY police detective are brought together by faith to hunt down serial killers on a rampage in Europe.

It is fairly well written and fast paced, but ultimately very light, entertainment. Suitable for a short flight or train ride

5.0 out of 5 stars my first patterson but not the last, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Paperback)
this is an excellent book for who dunnit fans. It seemeed to be a run of the mill murder mysteries at first but it is really a very exciting read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Holiday Reading at Best!, 15 Sep 2011
Elcheekio (Guildford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Kindle Edition)
This is my first Patterson book, and he seems to be very popular so I thought he must be talented......I was seriously disappointed. The characters are flimsy and predictable, I mean a male and female lead that fall in love, its not exactly original. Although the underlying concept is good and had so much promise, the delivery is cheap and tacky, it could of been so much better.

I took this as a holiday read and have to say it was hugely disappointing, you can read this book and never need any brain power.

The best thing about this book is the portrait picture on the back cover by Rankin!

5.0 out of 5 stars up to standardf, 7 Oct 2010
R. E. Knight - See all my reviews
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Hardcover)
this was a typical james patterson and it is well written and keeps you on the edge of your seat

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Average, 2 Sep 2010
I Like Cheese - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Hardcover)
James Patterson's latest thriller has him teamed up with a bestselling author from overseas, Swedish writer Liza Marklund. It's about two attractive killers who persuade young travelling couples to go back to their hotels and then they kill them. Before this happens they send a postcard to the press to let them know what is going to happen and then afterwards they send the same unfortunate reporter a photograph of the killing. On the case is Jacob Kanon, a cop from the US whose daughter was murdered by these Postcard Killers a few months before. He teams up with Swedish reporter Dessie Larsson who received the postcard for the latest killing.

Like the previous reviewer stated, this is like a book of two halves - the first being extremely tense and fast-paced whereas the second was dragged out, slow and felt a bit like the story was continuing for the sake of it. This is a shame as it was a fantastic first 200 pages or so and I read them in just one sitting. The next 200 pages however took me 3 days as I found it hard to get back into the story and it really failed to grip me.

The characters are actually ok. Jacob is heartbroken by the death of his daughter and struggles with working with the Swedish police and their different ways of following the law and Dessie is thrown out of her comfort zone, being normally a reporter on bulglaries but now stuck in the middle of one of Europe's biggest murder cases. The killers are quite annoying, being a little too unrealistic for my liking. Knowing who they are from the opening chapter also takes away the surprise element of revealing them at the end as you already know who they are.

I think this book is ok - it's not great but it's not bad either. I'd maybe wait and pick this up from the library or borrow it from a friend rather than purchase it as I can't imagine it would be one you'd ever have any desire to read again but is worth a read once if there's nothing better for you to read on your shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Good, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Postcard Killers (Paperback)
This was the first book I ever read by James Patterson. Since then I have got my sister and daughter in law addicted.
It is a stand alone book, and really good.

Postcard Killers
Postcard Killers by James Patterson (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2010)
16.94